Golden Lions badge

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
any one know anything of this badge ?
a friend picked up a 58 300D today....
its all intact, the plan is to get it running, neutralize rust and get it safe to drive and enjoy.
its not going to get a big restoration

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

O.K.
I'm about to make a Statement & It's going to Upset People.
That's NOT My Intention, However I Believe in making an Honest Statement.
Please if you are Not Prepared to Fully Restore the Vehicle to it's Former Glory Pass it on to Someone who will.
I Know, I Know, It's Your Vehicle & You're Entitled to do whatever you want with it, & I wouldn't Argue on that Point.
But I am over 70 and the Number of Now Classic Vehicles I Thrashed, Bashed & Smashed in My Younger Days makes me Feel
Ashamed, Embarrassed & Extremely Regretful.
There Can't be That Many 300Ds left Floating about.
Don't Let it Become Some Rich Mans Toy.
If It Takes You a Lifetime, Restore the Vehicle a Bit at a Time.
We had one Fella over here who took Fourteen years to "Do Up" his old Dodge.
He worked his way through the Suspension & Took the Car to Club Meets & Picnics.
He worked his way through the Brakes & Took the Car to Club Meets & Picnics.
He worked his way through the Steering & Took the Car to Club Meets & Picnics.
He worked his way through the Bodywork & Took the Car to Club Meets & Picnics.
He worked his way through the Upholstery & Took the Car to Club Meets & Picnics.
I Could Go On But You Get the Picture.
I Think that Amongst the Older Fellas Here You Will Find Many have Regrets
about some of the Cars they have owned over the Years.
I had to Part with a 59 Custom Royal many years ago because of being Unemployed.
To this Day I still have Regrets But it was either the House or the Car & You Can't live in a Car.
And Remember, In Twenty Years or So, even the Dirty Old Daily Driver you run around in today may be
Considered "Rare" & "Classic"
O.K. That's My $2.00 Worth.
Please Note:
My Opinions are My Opinions, It's Your Car Full Stop.
Whatever You Decide,
All the Best & I hope All Goes Well for You.
Kind Regards,
Tony.M

I would hope that "driven" will not be "used and abused, then trashed" in the case of ANY 300 Letter Car. They were cherished Chryslers even when new, much less decades later after time and such have taken their toll on the car and its sheet metal. One reason there can be so few New Yorker 2-dr hardtops is that the New Yorkers were used to restore 300 Letter Cars, which then makes those years of New Yorkers the rare ones of the bunch. BTAIM

Although the intent is to not get into "a big restoration", I would hope that the car is fixed back up in an accurate matter, in order to protect the car's ultimate heritage and value, rather than "LS'd" or similar.

I also would hope that the new owner registers the car with the Chrysler 300 Letter Car clubs so they know it's still around. Keeping track of survivors is important and a good source of parts and expertise for these cars, by observation. The www.jholst.net website is another good resource for letter car parts and service information, too.

As to the badge, the Golden Lion was a Chrysler-brand logo back then. Possibly the badge is from a Chrysler 300 Letter Car car club (or a chapter thereof) from back then, too?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

@marko I like your plan. Golden lion started in 1959 so it was not parts of the car from Chrysler.

@69PHOENIX have you ever restored a Chrysler 300 letter car? Large money needed u less you have stake in a body shop and a chrome plated. In the USA you will spend 200K to do it. You could go buy 2 restored cars for that price. It’s just costs more if in Canada or OZ.

These cars were forgotten dinosaurs in the 70’s.

i was thinking that the golden lions badge was for a club, but i havent found anything out yet.
the friend who owns the car has known of this car for decades, and he has many old cars, he doesnt "restore" them, he gets them running and driving so they can be enjoyed. he doesnt do mods or even disc brake conversions. he will rebuild mechanical parts instead of replacing them and has the skill to do so.
probably cause hes cheap like that too heheh

I'm thinking a Lion's club crest for a car (because of the purple)...kind of like the Mason's stuff you used to see.

That thing looked rusty in the pics, how bad is it? Figured someone local would get it with the border restrictions and the pain of getting it off the Island.

the 300D has got rust in the trunk and in the front fenders, esp around the headlights where they all do. floors are more solid than expected, underneath looks not too bad and frame is pretty clean. its still being cleaned and assessed.
my buddy got a 58 new yorker coupe metal donor car ( it had been stripped a long time ago) its rear 1/4s are in good shape and its front fenders are amazingly rust & dent free. trunk floor can be used with minor repair.
oddly enough the floors are gone

20210710_124637_resized.jpg

20210710_115604_resized.jpg

20210710_111326_resized.jpg

I like the plan. It costs way too much to restore one and it would be good to see one driven. The restored ones usually aren't driven so they sit in a garage and gather dust.
Go make dust instead!

G'Day 413,
Back in 1985 I took a Trip to Adelaide for the First Chrysler Nationals.
While I was there a Fellow Club Member took me to a Blokes Place who had a Yard Full of Old Chryslers.
Apparently he & his Brother had a Contract to Supply "Goods" to the U.S. Base at Woomera for many years.
Over a Number of Years as the Military returned Home, he Purchased a Large Number of Cars from
the Troops who Didn't bother taking them Home.
All Late Fifties & Early Sixties, Mostly Coupes, 4Dr H/Tops & a Few 2Dr S'Wags.
61 Imp Convertibles, 57 300c Coupe, 57 Saratoga Coupe Just to Name a Couple
He Obviously Purchased them for a Pittance as they were all left in his Very Large Back Yard to Rust & Let the Grass
Grow All Over Them.
Apart from the Cars, What Also Saddened Me was the Fact That his Three Children only had about Six Feet from the Back Door to
What was a Pretty Solid Wall of Cars in Which to Play.
Those Cars sat there & Rusted away for Decades, All were Drivers when he got them, Most went for Scrap Metal when he Died.
He Wouldn't Sell Them, Wouldn't Repair Them, The Fella that took Me around was an Excellent Panel Beater / Spray Painter & had Offered
to Repair All 30+ Vehicles in Exchange for being Able to Choose Three for Himself. (Negotiated of Course)
He Refused!
His Cars, His Choice. Fair Enough, But Oh What a Pity.
The Only Conclusion I could come to was that He Owned them merely to be able to say "I Own Them & You Don't."
This was somewhat confirmed to me when, as we were leaving, I mentioned that we were going down the Road to look at a 58 Dodge
Custom Royal a Bloke had Restored.
He questioned Why we wanted to Look at it as it was Only " a Dirty Old Sedan"
When We Formed Our Dodge Owners Club Forty Odd Years Ago We lay Down a Few Basic Rules.
One was, 1900 - Whenever,
Although We Intended to "Cover the Early V8 Years in Aust. (1957 - 1972) Anyone Who Owned a Chrysler Veh whatever Vintage,
or,
Who just had an Interest in Chrysler Vehs was Welcome in our Club.
We had 1918 Models, Plymouth's, Desoto's, Fargo Trucks Etc., All were Welcome.
Another Rule was Although we Preferred "Original" Unmodified Vehs " It's Yours, Do what you Want BUT if at all Possible Modify it in Such a Fashion
that a New Owner could Return it to Original if he so Desired.
I have Loved Old Cars since I was 7 Years Old.
I remember being out with My Dad when he was looking for a Car.
He was talking to a Salesman in a Second Hand yard when I spotted a Perhaps 1924 Chevy Wreck at the back of the Lot.
I turned to My Dad & said "offer him 10 Bob ($1.00 or perhaps a little more in Them Days)
The Salesman grinned at Me & said Keep that Up Kid & You'll Own It LOL
Anyway the Joy is not Only in Owning a vehicle but in Driving It / Working on it & Bringing it Back from It's Demise.
And to Me this Process Helps to Slow us All on our Journey to our Dotage.
While I have Purist leanings I must admit it is only towards "Some" Vehicles.
"Now My Own Car That's a Different Matter" LOL
All the Best & Take Care.
Tony.M

Nice story. As car guys we have met dozens of folks like that.

Now back to the original 300D in this thread, they Did the rescue from its former storage and want to clean it up and service it and get it driving. Sounds like a good idea to me.

As I said a full restoration on one of the is large money these days, especially in Canadian dollars.

I have a 58 350 ready to come out of my 62 dodge most of the work is done
The guy I bought the car from said it was rebuilt when I took the valve covers off it was spotless inside not grime or sludge I have everything here to take it out (the trans has to be unbolted from the engine as I need it
You can have it for free I can’t help you with the removal
I had my lower part of my leg amputated late last year
I have cut the exhaust out
Unbolted the exhaust manifolds
Most of the wiring is undone
Ps unbolte
Radiator is removed
Pretty much ready
You can have the torque converter as well I think there’s 2 the one in the trunk supposed to be good
Bad converter was the issue
Good luck

I have a 58 350 ready to come out of my 62 dodge most of the work is done
The guy I bought the car from said it was rebuilt when I took the valve covers off it was spotless inside not grime or sludge I have everything here to take it out (the trans has to be unbolted from the engine as I need it
You can have it for free I can’t help you with the removal
I had my lower part of my leg amputated late last year
I have cut the exhaust out
Unbolted the exhaust manifolds
Most of the wiring is undone
Ps unbolte
Radiator is removed
Pretty much ready
You can have the torque converter as well I think there’s 2 the one in the trunk supposed to be good
Bad converter was the issue
Good luck

Pictures please!

not sure what these last couple of posts have to do with a golden lions badge....... :)

Your post was about a friend picking up a 58 300 and went into minimal work to get it going
I was just offering something to help the cause.
I should have known better!!!!!!!

Your post was about a friend picking up a 58 300 and went into minimal work to get it going
I was just offering something to help the cause.
I should have known better!!!!!!!

thank you for your kind offer but it wasnt clear to me what you meant.
the car has its original 392 hemi with dual 4vs and it will be rebuilt if needed.
tx
mark

Back