Got a brake kit, here is what doesn't fit

jbooth35

Reaction score
I set out to convert the drums to disks. I bought the kit from Leed Brakes 2 years ago, and I'm finally getting around to putting everything together. The new master cylinder uses two 3/16 inch lines with a larger fitting routed to the rear brakes. The original single pot used a 1/4" line to the distribution block. I went to the parts store to try and buy some adapters but couldn't find anything.
IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

The black adapter in the second picture is the line supplied in the kit. It fits into the front port of the master cylinder, but the other end is an odd thread that I can't fit into anything. I'm prepared to just make new line from this master cylinder, but I'd like some advice on what is best at this point. I don't think I'll have the option of a return or replacement from LEED since its been 2 years.

So here is what I think my options are:

1. Get a new distribution block, everything plumbed to 3/16. Take the $ hit on the 1/4" stainless I bought from inline tube.
2. Get a different master cylinder? From pictures I've seen posted most seem to use 3/16" to the distribution block though... Not sure if there is even an option here for another master.
3. ...

Car is a 65 polara, 426 wedge.

Thanks,

Joe

The reason it does not fit is that you were supplied with a 2 Bolt GM master cylinder. Are you using a 2 bolt booster? www.inline.tube.com can probably fabricate the tubing for you to make it fit. I do not recommend using stainless tubing because it is difficult to fit and as too hard to get a good seal on the various fittings.

Dave

Yes it came with a 2 bolt booster. The kit is LEED, but I got it through PST. Mopar Disc Brake Conversion Kits | Mopar C Body Disc Brake Conversion

I'm guessing they did not take into account that my distribution block had a 1/4" top port? Looks like I'll need some custom bending anyhow so maybe it's time to find an alternative distribution block. I need to find a decent location to mount the adjustable proportioning valve too. I've seen some brackets that mount directly under the master cylinder sharing the mounting bolt to the booster. I'll contact PST/Leed tomorrow to see what they suggest.

8148BC85-FF14-4A60-8E9F-522F7ECC79DA.jpeg
8148BC85-FF14-4A60-8E9F-522F7ECC79DA.jpeg
I set out to convert the drums to disks. I bought the kit from Leed Brakes 2 years ago, and I'm finally getting around to putting everything together. The new master cylinder uses two 3/16 inch lines with a larger fitting routed to the rear brakes. The original single pot used a 1/4" line to the distribution block. I went to the parts store to try and buy some adapters but couldn't find anything.
View attachment 379633

View attachment 379632

The black adapter in the second picture is the line supplied in the kit. It fits into the front port of the master cylinder, but the other end is an odd thread that I can't fit into anything. I'm prepared to just make new line from this master cylinder, but I'd like some advice on what is best at this point. I don't think I'll have the option of a return or replacement from LEED since its been 2 years.

1. Get a new distribution block, everything plumbed to 3/16. Take the $ hit on the 1/4" stainless I bought from inline tube.
2. Get a different master cylinder? From pictures I've seen posted most seem to use 3/16" to the distribution block though... Not sure if there is even an option here for another master.
3. ...

Thanks,

Joe
I used the Dakota master with the Mancini Racing 2 bolt to 4 adapter. It’s a race car so I didn’t use a booster. The FMJ guys use a K car booster when they install a big block & want a booster. Look closely behind the master & you will see the adapter. I had to only replace one line. Look close. The one from the master to the line lock. They also offer an adjustable push rod. They have a C body section.

View attachment 379633

View attachment 379632

3. ...

Thanks,

Joe
Here is a pic of one of the adapters Mancini sells
472ECE0B-6B9A-45F4-AEB7-224DDE2ED250.png

So it is a Ford master cylinder. Does anyone know the thread size on the stock cylinder and block? I'm working with support and they want to know if stock threads are 1/2 20, or 7/16th. These are tough for me to measure without some known sizes.

Just wanted to update this with what is going on. I talked to Leed Brakes and they are helping me get everything sorted out. As I shared more pics and questions about installation, they determined that I was sent a kit for a manual brake car and that the bracket's mounted to the booster wouldn't work either. Even though I bought the kit through PST, they are working with me directly and are going to exchange the incorrect mounts. They've been great to work with even though it has been 2 years since I ordered.

The incorrect fittings still cannot be explained, but they will also send additional line and adapters to get everything to work. For references the original line/adapters are either 1/4" line with 7/16-24 thread (from master cylinder to distribution block) or 3/8-24 threads with the 3/16" line for all the remainder of the plumbing.

It would be really nice to get a single distribution block that accommodates this conversion better though. In this kit I have to plug the rear port of the original distribution block and connect the rear line to the new adjustable proportioning valve. This leaves the rear proportioning valve connected near the distribution block requiring a new mount location and adjustment that would have to take place under the car. I'd prefer to mount the adjustable proportioning valve near the master cylinder and run the line to the rear brake line. This will require a union fitting though unless I can find a block that has a rear pass through line, and splits the front brakes.

Would this do the trick? Inline Tube distribution Block

I would prefer this type of mounting location.
mount.PNG

As always I appreciate the help. This forum has been fantastic to learn from.

Back