Has anyone played with replacement rollers?

If you had a good one for a mold, I could definitely replicate it. Mine is back together, I decided not to open the can of worms that you did. :)
Most of mine are good other than one broken one and a few that are egg shaped in the center hole.

PM me your address so I can send one your way if need be.

If someone is already repopping them for other body styles and sizes, I'd be thinking that the roller itself is the same throughout and just the bracketry and such is where the difference is. If so, it might be worthwhile seeing who sells the repro guy the rollers...

Thoughts?
Agreed Ross.
I thought I had a lead on some for a 70 charger but it's a no go...

Here’s the dimensions
View attachment 272827 I’m looking for the roller, not the bracket that houses them
View attachment 272826

Hey guess what? Your not going to like this! That's the exact same one I was applying to in this comment!
Aftermarket rollers for other models will work except for one that I know of. Good luck

I had a hell of a time tryin to find that roller or whole part. I wound up snagging one out of the yard that was in good shape. And this was quite a while ago. You gotta tough job finding one ahead of you. Maybe find a plastic guy that can repop them? I ran into dead ends everywhere lookin for those. Good Luck

Hey guess what? Your not going to like this! That's the exact same one I was applying to in this comment!

I had a hell of a time tryin to find that roller or whole part. I wound up snagging one out of the yard that was in good shape. And this was quite a while ago. You gotta tough job finding one ahead of you. Maybe find a plastic guy that can repop them? I ran into dead ends everywhere lookin for those. Good Luck
According to a few sources these rollers were not meant to be a serviceable item but when there’s a need we will overcome the challenges

Another thing I have discovered is that I have freed up the rollers and then have them spinning freely but under load of the channel guide they don roll so I have tweaked the channels enough so that there is no slop but will spin as I move the roller assembly from bottom to top
It’s still hit and miss though which makes me wonder if these are important other than taking up the clearance

could the egg shaped ones be drilled and bushings installed?

Yes I am doing that as a contingency plan.
I had some brass tubing from my old model airplane building days

just have to be careful not to drill out off center otherwise it will spin like a clown tire.

If you have accurate dimensions, search out some solid round bar stock in some kind of nylon or other durable plastic and turn them out on a lathe.
I'll bet it will be way cheaper than brass and less apt to wear out the tracks they run in.

Kevin

If you have accurate dimensions, search out some solid round bar stock in some kind of nylon or other durable plastic and turn them out on a lathe.
I'll bet it will be way cheaper than brass and less apt to wear out the tracks they run in.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
My thoughts as well. Would have to find some nylon to work with.
I thought of picking up a small machine lathe but that's a minimum $350-500 outlay which is not a good option right at this moment in time
With the infrequency of rolling the windows up & down, I wouldn't think that using brass would be a problem plus, brass is self lubricating is it not?
Or it that bronze?

Bronze. Brass is fairly soft and can get damaged.

Nylon or some other heavy wearing plastic might be better.

Talk to P&A Plastics in Hamilton.

Good idea

I myself would opt for a machine lathe that could handle a turret for the various bits required

I've contacted & sent a rudimentary drawing to PA Plastics and waiting for a quote.

Well the quote from PA Plastics is not in the ball park being quoted at $30 each for 10 or $15 each for 20. Both end up at a price tag of $300+13% Taxes
3-4 week delivery.
They planned to sub the job out to a small machine shop so I too went to small local machine shop & have left the drawings with a 1 week turn around.
The plan is to test with T6000 series aluminum & go from there.

Updates will follow.

There is another much more inexpensive option out there. :) PM sent

Back