Headlight Switch.

Catfish-65

Reaction score
Having some issue with headlights not working and wanted to remove te headlight switch so I can check it out and replace if need be. Problem is not sure how to remove the dash nob without breaking something. Is it screwed on or pressed on not sure. I could use some input. It is on my 1965 Dodge Polara.. Thanks in advance,, Dave (Catfish-65)

Having some issue with headlights not working and wanted to remove te headlight switch so I can check it out and replace if need be. Problem is not sure how to remove the dash nob without breaking something. Is it screwed on or pressed on not sure. I could use some input. It is on my 1965 Dodge Polara.. Thanks in advance,, Dave (Catfish-65)

I imagine it is the same as my 64, there is a button on the switch assembly on the backside of the dash, the knob and rod it is attached to will come out. Then the nut/screw thing that holds it to the dash can unscrew.

Agree, somewhere on the switch housing, you have to reach under the dash and find it, a spring loaded button, push it while pulling out the knob. Don't give up on the first try, they can be temperamental.

This is the button.
PXL_20210812_183629669.jpg

Agree, be patient with it! And, BTW, you can buy a new one at auto parts store. BUT don't waste your time. ALL of them are Chinese crap, and the rod ends up sticking out about 1/4 inch too far from the dash, so it really looks bad. After trying 3 "new" ones, I finally got some good replacement switches from back in the day, still in the box. A variety of vendors made them (I know they weren't Mopar brand). They're out there, just have to dig a little. Good luck . . .

Anyone have a link for a new or remanufactured headlight switch 1968 fury?

Back