Headliner help

EL ROHO

Reaction score
Hello all,, I have a 66 sport fury in need of a headliner. Is this something that the average Joe can do or do I need to seek professional help? I have the liner just not sure about installation.

Depends on what you're after, and how much$$$. I did my own, not perfect, but good enough for me, and I put the money I saved elsewhere.

PXL_20220327_195646893.jpg

PXL_20220301_173410583.jpg

I've done interior work, like installing seat covers and carpets. I had a headliner for my '65 Barracuda installed by a pro. My main reason I didn't try it myself is a really bad neck that makes it hard to look up. After watching him, I decided there's some many little tricks that make it right, I'm glad I had him do it. It's perfect... No wrinkles.

Go on YouTube and search for headliner install. They all pretty much install the same.

Thanks for your input. My biggest concern is do I have to remove front and back windshield so the fabric will tuck underneath

Thanks for your input. My biggest concern is do I have to remove front and back windshield so the fabric will tuck underneath
That is a very good question... My guy told me he wanted the front and rear windows out, so I removed them... Then when he got there he said "you didn't need to do that". The he said it does make it a lot easier to do and it turns out better. After reading on FABO, the consensus seems to be to remove for best results. Keep in mind that I'm talking about an early A body Barracuda and not your car.

He came to my house to do this:

QftbMT3.jpg

HYVH7xi.jpg

Windshield and rear window (yes, the big window) out.

zXUffad.jpg

Wow! Nice finish though. Now to reload that glass.
Glass was easy. That big back window took another person to help me lower it in place, but otherwise easy stuff to do.

BTW, the myth that those rear windows are rare and expensive is just a myth. Everybody with a early Barracuda (including me) has a spare sitting around that's one step away from getting hit with a hammer to get rid of it. I saw a pic of one sitting at Carlisle with "Free" written on it... No one took it.

It’s a pain but can be done material was 3.00 per yard I’ll get better pictures tomorrow. The main thing is be gentle

as all the plastic and rear shelf dis real brittle p

713EEA17-D283-40DA-A4A6-B5100B49D4C2.jpeg

00881635-E645-4176-A7F2-D6EA6DCE71BB.jpeg

I did mine following the service manual. My windows were out which gave a little more working room. Make sure you find and mark your center lines on the fabric and the car. Slow and steady is the ticket. I am sure I had over 4 hours into it.

Back