Heater Box: AC Evaporator removal. HELP

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Digging into the heater box, I’m stuck trying to remove the AC Evaporator. Have all external screws that secure it in place out. It’s free to move but it’s getting caught on these tubes which I’ve circled. They can’t go through the opening of the heater box itself… FSM doesn’t say anything about the removal of the Evaporator so I’m stuck… any help is appreciated

6A873556-1910-4E01-9181-02E12939E975.jpeg

Also, anyone know what this is?

7D8E8F67-EEA3-4568-96D0-125A335F2038.jpeg

That part is an A/C vacuum time delay relay. Mopar #2837697

Not sure about the evaporator removal. On my '77 I had to pull the box apart and the evaporator slid out.

Aaron

Aren't those the condensate drain tubes from the body of the unit? They should not be connected to anything if so, IF I am remembering correctly.

The whole box is a clamshell - take it apart, and you'll see how things are sitting in there.

Aren't those the condensate drain tubes from the body of the unit? They should not be connected to anything if so, IF I am remembering correctly.

The whole box is a clamshell - take it apart, and you'll see how things are sitting in there.
The Evaporator is bolted to this tray and the bolt is extremely hard to reach :/ I’ll keep looking for anything else I can see!

A87413FF-740A-43A5-A654-E0C9A8DC7E02.jpeg

The actual tubes are copper, but the is another "tube" with a lip on it that shoots over the copper tube. You're probably going to have to sacrifice these. Get your Dremel out and slowly cut a groove so you can peel the outer piece off. You'll have to cut the ridge that is causing your clearance issues also.

Shouldn't have to sacrifice the tubes if I recall correctly.

In the '68 factory parts catalogue, that tray is shown as an assembly WITH the evaporator core, that can only be separated once removed from the box.

I wish I could upload the page from my files, but I can't remember how to do it.

Regardless, that tray slides out of the box with the evaporator, and then you take the core off the tray. Look for fasteners that hold the tray into the box.

Hey all! Digging into the heater box, I’m stuck trying to remove the AC Evaporator. Have all external screws that secure it in place out. It’s free to move but it’s getting caught on these tubes which I’ve circled. They can’t go through the opening of the heater box itself… FSM doesn’t say anything about the removal of the Evaporator so I’m stuck… any help is appreciated

View attachment 522223

View attachment 522224
The tubes circled in blue are are drain tubes. They have sleeves on them that have to be removed to enable the tray to be removed from the housing. I believe I sprayed some WD-40 in the tube and twisted the sleeves to remove them. Maybe I needed some heat also. I'm not sure how I did it but I remember they did not come off real easy. If you look into tube you will see what I mean.

OK - so a number of people have said the same thing which is opposite to my memory, so I guess I'm remembering incorrectly... lol.

Try not to wreck the sleeves, and perhaps they can be reused, or used as a pattern to creat new ones.

yeah i had to hit the tube extensions with a torch to get them off...they exist to provide a shoulder for the drain tube-to-firewall seal to sit on....the tubes werent exactly parallel either and needed to be bent a bit so the evaporator slid out smoothly

Last edited:
no i swear they werent soldered...just bimetallic corrosion...think they were zinc plated steel originally...had ones on another box that came off much easier...they had a little cutout and tab on the side that probably was designed to bite into the tube so they wouldn't slide right off...so pretty fragile hence the decision to heat them up

Last edited:

View attachment 522223

View attachment 522224
You've found the "delay valve" that lets the compressor stay off when it's really cold. In warmer weather the compressor goes on w/ defrost to prevent fogging. Youtube has the whole story here:

View attachment 522223

View attachment 522224
1648414185474.png

Back