Heater core question

UPDATE*** Took to the shop who said not only is the heater core is leaking, but the control heater box is only half functioning (will switch from dash vents to floor, but not defrost) and needs to be pulled and restored for full functionality. Along with potentially rebuilding/replacing the heater control valve as it's been bypassed for some reason. So basically the whole heating system has **** the bed. I do trust what they said as they were just a radiator core shop and don't have the chops to pull off the resto work, so they weren't trying to up-sell me.

As a band-aid solution I could have the core replaced and just live with the lack of controls. There was no temp (cool-warm-hot) temp adjustment before and the heat just blew hot all the time. She's only a summer car anyways.

Members here can help you source the parts you need. To replace the heater core the extra cost isn't that much more. As long as the system isn't of the ATC variety the replacement parts are out there.

Last edited:
C Body vs. B Body, but I put a new core into my Buddy's '68 GTX Hemi. Took me about two hours. Box was only held in by three nuts, very similar to the '70 Challenger I had.

The hard part will be finding a core!

The above claim is not correct - here is the new reproduction heater core you will need and they have a new reproduction evaporator as well:

69 70 71 72 73 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler A/C Dual Heater Core Coil Heat HC5777 NEW | eBay

I have used their products and the work well and fit well.

No need to have one made up from your old one.

Back