Heater not working - 69 Chrysler Newport

peiguy23

Reaction score
I bought the car last year and the heater didn't work. Not an AC car. I didn't look at it last year but now I want to try to fix it. My fan works and the cool/warm switch seems to be doing it's job, the cable is moving something under the dash. I'm not sure what to check next.

On the a/c cars, the heater temp cable is a two-piece item. Might the non-a/c be similar? Is the lever on the water valve moving? Heat on one hose but not the other? Download a FSM at www.mymopar.com for operational information/illustrations.

CBODY67

So this morning I took both lines off the heater core and nothing came out. I tried gently blowing air through the core and it was plugged. I kept blowing a little bit at a time until it finally started to shoot some old brown water out the other line. I kept the air to it until nothing else came out. I then started the car, let it warm up and success! I had heat. Now the problem is that I only have heat on defrost and nothing under the dash, but that's not a big deal. I'll check that out another day.

Check the vac lines to the switch AND the flexible hose ducting.

If there's a diaphragm actuated valve or something on the end of the vacuum lines to the dashboard controls, you might be able to check it by gently sucking on the inlet hose and feeling/listening/looking/smelling(haha) for moving parts. If it's leaking it won't resist your inhaling, but if the seal is good, you'll be able to build a vacuum with your lungs; but be gentle, don't want to damage it with too much vacuum.

Back