Hello

It’s highly likely that’s the original vin tag for your car.
I think you’re right the VIN tag is likely original but the fender tag isn’t. A lot can happen in 57 years. I was able to see the sellers package that shows the history back to 1973 . There were a total of 3 owners with the latest having owned it for 34 years.
Thanks

I got the VIN decoding from here:

For '66 they don't show what the first 2 digits (CM) decode for. Presumably C is Chrysler, but the M for Series is unlisted.

Everything I've read about C-body convertibles from the 1960's is that they were all made in Windsor.

The VIN number you provided matches the car better.

Model Year:​
Model:​
Chrysler Newport/300/New Yorker
Body Style:​
Convertible
Price Style:​
Medium
Engine:​
383cid 2bbl
Assembly Plant:​
Jefferson, Michigan
Consecutive Unit Number:​

Congratulation! Very nice car with fantastic color combination!

I got the VIN decoding from here:

[/URL]

For '66 they don't show what the first 2 digits (CM) decode for. Presumably C is Chrysler, but the M for Series is unlisted.

Everything I've read about C-body convertibles from the 1960's is that they were all made in Windsor.
That’s interesting.
The person that had to do the appraisal for insurance suggested the car was built at a plant in Delaware. Thanks

The VIN number you provided matches the car better.

Model Year:​
Model:​
Chrysler Newport/300/New Yorker
Body Style:​
Convertible
Price Style:​
Medium
Engine:​
383cid 2bbl
Assembly Plant:​
Jefferson, Michigan
Consecutive Unit Number:​

Congratulation! Very nice car with fantastic color combination!
Thank you.
The car is in amazing shape underneath and rides very good with absolutely no squeaks or rattles.
The 383 has a 670 Holley which suits the engine good it has stainless steel duals with just enough rumble that an American V-8 should have. The 4 speed shifts excellent it’s a close ratio with at least 3:55 gears I would guess because it’s turning 3000 at 60 mph.
I’m looking at swapping out for a A833 overdrive which will kill 2 birds with one stone. It will give me a lower 1st gear to get the 2 ton machine moving without riding the clutch, that first gear is a 2.44 in the close ratio isn’t as low as I would like the A833 overdrive has the 3.09 1st gear.Tgen once I’m in 4th I’ll be at a .72 -1 to bring those revs down from 3000 to 2200 at 60 mph.

I think that's actually a conversion from a manual 3-speed. To my knowledge there's never been a documented Chrysler 4-speed in 1966, Plymouths & Dodges yes, but for some reason the Chryslers were omitted. The service & parts books also support this. It doesn't particularly make sense as 4-speeds came in a decent number of 65s & a handful of 67 Chryslers. Also the 3-speed could be had with the 383-2V but the 4-speed always came with the performance versions of the 383 & 413/440 on C-bodies. Since there's no corresponding fender tag for the car, another option would be to contact Chrysler Historical. They used to give a lot of vehicle detail but my understanding is that they only supply IBM punch cards now but that could be a conclusive way to determine the actual options. Regardless, it's a super nice car. It has the 65-only Hurst shifter with console which is the nicest of the bunch.

Thank you.
The car is in amazing shape underneath and rides very good with absolutely no squeaks or rattles.
The 383 has a 670 Holley which suits the engine good it has stainless steel duals with just enough rumble that an American V-8 should have. The 4 speed shifts excellent it’s a close ratio with at least 3:55 gears I would guess because it’s turning 3000 at 60 mph.
I’m looking at swapping out for a A833 overdrive which will kill 2 birds with one stone. It will give me a lower 1st gear to get the 2 ton machine moving without riding the clutch, that first gear is a 2.44 in the close ratio isn’t as low as I would like the A833 overdrive has the 3.09 1st gear.Tgen once I’m in 4th I’ll be at a .72 -1 to bring those revs down from 3000 to 2200 at 60 mph.
If it's turning 3000 at 60 then it likely has something like 3.90 or 4.10 gears. The OD trans with the 3.09 1st came in economy A's which had a short tailshaft & would not fit a C-body. It also takes a special shifter & there were longevity issues with it, especially with the aluminum case. It's highly likely your trans has the 2.66 1st gear, not 2.44. The best & most cost-effective solution may be to just swap to 3.23 gears. It gives decent all-around performance.

I think that's actually a conversion from a manual 3-speed. To my knowledge there's never been a documented Chrysler 4-speed in 1966, Plymouths & Dodges yes, but for some reason the Chryslers were omitted. The service & parts books also support this. It doesn't particularly make sense as 4-speeds came in a decent number of 65s & a handful of 67 Chryslers. Also the 3-speed could be had with the 383-2V but the 4-speed always came with the performance versions of the 383 & 413/440 on C-bodies. Since there's no corresponding fender tag for the car, another option would be to contact Chrysler Historical. They used to give a lot of vehicle detail but my understanding is that they only supply IBM punch cards now but that could be a conclusive way to determine the actual options. Regardless, it's a super nice car. It has the 65-only Hurst shifter with console which is the nicest of the bunch.
Yes, I did a bit of research and found the 66 had the 3 on the tree as the manual transmission available. I did talk to a few old Mopar guys and they told me they knew of a few workers that told stories of cars that were being built in the factory FOR workers OF the factory that were slipping through equipped with parts that weren’t offered as official options. My first thought when I acquired the car was that there were parts for the 4 speed on it from a 65. I had a friend of mine that worked at a Mister Transmission for decades look at it and swears it’s factory. Regardless of how it ended up having a 4 speed in it, I’m glad it’s there. Whether it was factory or not wouldn’t have changed my mind of buying it either way. I’m more of a guy that enjoys driving the cars like they were intended to do. I know a lot of people are into documentation, pedigree and matching numbers stuff and that’s okay but I’m not one of them.
This car is a blast to drive the combination of a full size convertible with a 4 speed is hard to beat. It’s a boulevard power cruiser.
Thanks for your input it’s appreciated.

G should be a 383-4 in 66. 383-2 came out in 67 and was G , 383-4 was H in 67
I thought the G was non-specific in 1966, could be either 2 or 4-barrel 383. Correct me if I'm wrong but the didn't the 1966 300 came standard with the 383-4V with the J-code 440HP optional?

Last edited:
I thought the G was non-specific in 1966, could be either 2 or 4-barrel 383. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 300 came standard with the 383-4V with the J-code 440HP optional?
I haven’t dug too deeply into engine availability but from my Mopar friends with brief conversations when they came to check out my new ride the 300 came with a 383 4 barrel that pumped out 325 hp in 66.
I do know that compared to the brand new 67 Newport my father bought new which had a 383 2 barrel this 66 pulls quite a bit harder but mind you it has 3.55 gearing compared to the 2.73 in my fathers car.

I thought the G was non-specific in 1966, could be either 2 or 4-barrel 383. Correct me if I'm wrong but the didn't the 1966 300 came standard with the 383-4V with the J-code 440HP optional?
Each code is specific. In 66, the 2bbl was the 361.
383 2bbl replaced it in 67.

Each code is specific. In 66, the 2bbl was the 361.
383 2bbl replaced it in 67.
Just checked the parts book. 361-2V was for B-body only in 1966, code F. 383-2V was for Newport & Plymouth/Dodge, 300 came with 383-4V, all code G. The 383-4V had the 3-speed manual as base equipment. In 1967 they changed the codes to G & H to differentiate between 2V & 4V 383s.

In all likelihood then the car originally came with a 383-4V & 3-speed that was converted to 4-speed. It doesn't really matter for driving but might make a major difference in resale if it was determined to be a true unicorn.

Just checked the parts book. 361-2V was for B-body only in 1966, code F. 383-2V was for Newport & Plymouth/Dodge, 300 came with 383-4V, all code G. The 383-4V had the 3-speed manual as base equipment. In 1967 they changed the codes to G & H to differentiate between 2V & 4V 383s.

In all likelihood then the car originally came with a 383-4V & 3-speed that was converted to 4-speed. It doesn't really matter for driving but might make a major difference in resale if it was determined to be a true unicorn.
Thank you. I did not know they carried a different engine code for the c body's.
I know there was confusion and bulletins over it though.
And the 383 2bbl part

Thanks for the info.It’s definitely a driver I didn’t even look at anything as far as matching numbers production numbers etc. I bought it because of the condition of the car , the looks and how it was equipped ESPECIALLY the 4 spd. The car runs and feels as good as it looks so I’m happy. As far as value the guy who appraised it is well known and has a good reputation. After he appraised it I told him what I paid his appraisal came in at almost 40% more than what I paid for it.So I’m happy about that but I have no plans to sell it.

Back