Help identifying rear end part

AJ312

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time posting, long time reader.

I post today asking for some help. My father in law passes away and i inherited a bunch of parts that I'm going through and seeing what all is there.

I came across this sifferential but cannot foe the life of me find the part anywhere online or the part number stamped on it.

Was wondering if any of you guys could offer some onsite. Thanks in advance.
20231205_151619.jpg

20231205_151608.jpg

20231205_151533.jpg

20231205_151520.jpg

20231205_151514.jpg

20231205_151508.jpg

20231205_151504.jpg

Those stamped numbers are not the part number, but most probably some sort of internal production number. Are there any clutches or springs you can see inner to the unit you can see from the outside? "Casting numbers" would be something to search for, if there are any.

What about stamped numbers on the bearing parts? Might need to get into a Timken paper catalog to look for bearing internal diameters, width, and type?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Those stamped numbers are not the part number, but most probably some sort of internal production number. Are there any clutches or springs you can see inner to the unit you can see from the outside? "Casting numbers" would be something to search for, if there are any.
Nothing, it's sealed all the way around. Those are the only stamped numbers on the exterior.

Thanks for the additional information. In doing a Google search for "Detroit Locker differential", I came up with several images which look basically similar to your pictures, for a "Detroit Locker" differential. Only thing missing are the 4 round pieces for the center piece of the mechanism, with are there. On the image for one that Summit sells, there is a video of how it operates. On the image for the one 4 Wheel Parts sells, it comes up with a 8.75" Ring Gear Chrysler unit. Still, with the evident four round items in the case. Going directly into the Eaton Detroit Locker website might be in order.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

The West Coast Differential website has several Eaton Differential Application Guides in it. Which have specs for axle diameter, number of splines, ring gear diameter, etc. www.differentials.com

Take care,
CBODY67

PS . . . sorry if that link does not work. I re-types it many times and every time I try it for QC, it seems to leave off the first few letters of "differentials".

Last edited:
From what I see, it's a 12 bolt ring gear with 30 spline axles. It could be an aftermarket unit for the Chevy 12 bolt. Measure the ring gear mounting flange thickness. Chevy carriers are a series 2, series 3 and series 4, all different thickness for the different ratio breaks

From what I see, it's a 12 bolt ring gear with 30 spline axles. It could be an aftermarket unit for the Chevy 12 bolt. Measure the ring gear mounting flange thickness. Chevy carriers are a series 2, series 3 and series 4, all different thickness for the different ratio breaks
I'll double check but doubt it was for a chevy as my father in law never owned one. He had a 70 roadrunner.

I did a little more research, the 8 3/4 is also a 12 bolt ring gear with 30 spline axles. Have you thought about removing the bolts to look inside the center of it?

I did a little more research, the 8 3/4 is also a 12 bolt ring gear with 30 spline

I did a little more research, the 8 3/4 is also a 12 bolt ring gear with 30 spline axles. Have you thought about removing the bolts to look inside the center of it?
I have not yet. I'll probably do that soon but didn't want to start opening it up blindly.

I actually was able to find the part online on diffsonly.com as DET 187SL14A. It says fits all 8 3/4s but another site states only years 69-74 so I'm a bit confused.

I don't see why it wouldn't fit all 8 3/4 diff's as long as they have 30 spline axles

Back