HELP! In need of a radiator for a '68 Chrysler

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on getting a 1968 New Yorker coupe on the road after being abandoned for 40 years! Fortunately it was left in a dry desert climate, so rust wasn't too big of an issue with this car. The motor is seized up, and I have since unbolted the extras to have just the motor itself so I can send it out for a rebuild. That being said - I do not trust this radiator and I am looking to find a quality, new radiator for this beautiful car! I don't care wether its aluminum or not. I just want something that will bolt right up. I'm 19 and this is the first car I've ever worked on. It is an A/C car, and the motor will be rebuilt to stock. What radiators are you using in your cars? I just need to know if it will bolt right up and if I can use the same kind of hoses for the stock radiator (I bought new hoses for it)

Why not just take your current radiator to a shop and have it cleaned and tested. Unless there is obvious bad damage, that would be far cheaper than a new one and you know it would bolt right in.
Just my thoughts.
Merry Christmas

Why not just take your current radiator to a shop and have it cleaned and tested. Unless there is obvious bad damage, that would be far cheaper than a new one and you know it would bolt right in.
Just my thoughts.
Merry Christmas
Thank you and likewise:) Unfortunately in my area, there are no reputable shops who do that kind of work. I am fearful of paying for mediocre work and having a bad leaky radiator. There's damage in parts of it as well but I'm just not sure it's worth saving. It is full of rust inside

Also @Ccas
Cold Case Radiator is a vendor on this site and may have some options.
I am a purest so I went with a re-core.

Also @Ccas
Cold Case Radiator is a vendor on this site and may have some options.
I am a purest so I went with a re-core.
Thank you! I just now found him on a different thread. I PM'd him. I've had my NY'er for almost a year now. Bought it mid January of this year while I was still 18... at 19 I spent almost the whole year accumulating parts for it and towards the end saving up for an engine rebuild. It's real sad to just want to drive the car but I can't yet! I'm grateful for all the help I get and guidance I receive.

Good advice from everyone in this topic! There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on your situation. Very original and/or rare car? Going for originality? On a very tight budget? Driving it a lot? A little? Climate?

Look at all your options. The best option for your situation will bubble to the top.

I answered your PM just now. Sorry it took so long. We were closed for the holidays and while I normally still answer PM's and e-mails, I was traveling most of the weekend.

Unless you have LOTS of $$, I'd recommend Cold Case. What size is your old radiator? 26" wide or just 22"? It depends on whether you want maximum bang for the buck, or the highest of high end stuff. I'm severely impoverished and must drive my '66 daily, so I opt for COST EFFECTIVE solutions, but admit that sometimes, one simply MUST have THE VERY BEST. IDK if a Glenn Ray radiator would be worth it to you, but I DO KNOW a Cold Case will do the job VERY well for what you spend.

I have worked with

Industrial Radiator Services Inc
1625 E Donovan Rd # A, Santa Maria, CA 93454

They are popular so busy, I had them inspect some heater cores and repair a gas tank.

Alan

I have worked with

Industrial Radiator Services Inc
1625 E Donovan Rd # A, Santa Maria, CA 93454

They are popular so busy, I had them inspect some heater cores and repair a gas tank.

Alan
Thanks for the help! I was able to place an order with Cold Case to get things squared away. It helps to be in touch with those local to the central coast

I see you just placed an order, but just to show another option, the Spectra CU332 is a good option too. I have one in my '70 300.

Stock shroud will fit this and will bolt in with zero issues.

https://smile.amazon.com/Spectra-Pr...dchild=1&keywords=cu332&qid=1609279267&sr=8-1

Product

91vEkmbG98L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I see you just placed an order, but just to show another option, the Spectra CU332 is a good option too. I have one in my '70 300.

Stock shroud will fit this and will bolt in with zero issues.
If I had a stock original vehicle, this unit would be at the top of my list. Nice price. Nice find.

If I had a stock original vehicle, this unit would be at the top of my list. Nice price. Nice find.
Well.. Yes and no...

In a stock, original vehicle, I'd look at redoing an original radiator. That would have the best stock appearance and it would be as "original" if that is what you want/need.

The Spectra is a really nice replacement with a good price point. It has been available for years, probably since the cars were new. As a replacement, the looks weren't any concern to the manufacturer or the end user... again, looking for quality at a good price point. The Spectra in my car looks exactly like the replacements I bought for my drivers back in the 70's/80's/90's. Yep, it's a radiator. Yep, it's got a black brass tank and it bolts in exactly as the old one did. I wouldn't say you'd spot it from a mile off, but a knowledgeable guy would see it for what it was immediately, a replacement radiator.

So... I don't know... Looking at some of your offerings, a little black paint could make one of those look look pretty close, possibly closer than the Spectra rad.

I always like to offer ALL the good alternatives though... and the Spectra is a decent piece with an affordable price and hey... You can get it from Amazon.

If you have the tank number I may have an original useable one.

I'm working on getting a 1968 New Yorker coupe on the road after being abandoned for 40 years! Fortunately it was left in a dry desert climate, so rust wasn't too big of an issue with this car. The motor is seized up, and I have since unbolted the extras to have just the motor itself so I can send it out for a rebuild. That being said - I do not trust this radiator and I am looking to find a quality, new radiator for this beautiful car! I don't care wether its aluminum or not. I just want something that will bolt right up. I'm 19 and this is the first car I've ever worked on. It is an A/C car, and the motor will be rebuilt to stock. What radiators are you using in your cars? I just need to know if it will bolt right up and if I can use the same kind of hoses for the stock radiator (I bought new hoses for it)
summit racing or ebay i have a 72 new yorker rebuilt to 71 specs im useing a max cool factoryy replacemen from summit or jegs i dont remember its a copper brass with a heavy duty hayden fan clutch it cools just fine

Interesting post - I have an original radiator and shroud (used of course) from a 1967 Imperial LeBaron. It came with an engine I purchased. Assume for sake of discussion that it is pressure tested and leak free - what would those be worth? I'm not going to use it but it doesn't make sense to get it tested if it's not going the be worth the cost ... if someone is interested, I will check the PN.

Back