Help needed with instrument panel removal on 71 300

Reaction score
I'm attempting to remove my instrument panel so I can replace the blower fan switch which is intermittent and loose. Step 9 in the manual "remove screw holding ATC sensor assembly to the instrument cluster bezel and take the assembly loose from the bezel" I'm struggling to figure out. I have everything else lose but I cant seem to figure out how to do this step. Unless I screwed up step 3 "remove radio and ATC controls" I have the radio loose, but I can't quite figure out how to remove the ATC controls.

Any insight would be appreciated.

If you indeed have an Autotemp system in your 1971 Chrysler 300, please show us a photo of the front side of the instrument panel with the ATC push button controls in place. The reason I ask is because for a 1971 ATC system, there is no separate control switch on the front side of that control panel for blower speed, rather there are only push buttons for "High Auto" and "Low Auto" that determine the fan speed and the system adjusts fan speeds automatically depending on whether you pushed the "High Auto" or "Low Auto" and other sensors in the system. If you are indeed talking about a front side toggle switch for "Low-Medium-High" then you do not have an Autotemp pushbutton control assembly in the cluster. Only 1971 non-Autotemp systems have such a pushbutton control assembly with a lever on the front side for fan speed control directly.

Whether you have a non-Autotemp push button control assembly or an Autotemp push button control assembly, both control assemblies are held to the dash cluster with two studs, one on each end on the control switch with a nut on the back side of each stud that have to be removed and the control assembly pulls right out of the cluster from the front side (on the non Autotemp controls there is also a temperature control lever in that controller with a chrome knob on the end of the lever that must be pulled directly outward to remove the knob before the controls can be pulled out of the cluster bezel before the control assembly can be removed from the back side). With the radio out, you should easily be able to spot the two studs holding the control switch panel in place to the cluster with a nut on each stud.

I realize my description above might sound complex but with a photo of the front side of the cluster with the AC blower push buttons panel in place this description could be more simple..............................

Also, please send us a photo of the engine compartment with particular emphasis on the passenger side of the underhood photo.

Last edited:
Mine is the non auto temp. I think your description of where the studs are should help. I'm guessing these are accessed from behind and under the dash while laying on the transmission hump and not being able to see or feel anything???!!!

I have the radio disconnected from the panel, is it easy to remove with the panel in place?

Mine is the non auto temp. I think your description of where the studs are should help. I'm guessing these are accessed from behind and under the dash while laying on the transmission hump and not being able to see or feel anything???!!!

I have the radio disconnected from the panel, is it easy to remove with the panel in place?
You said specifically ATC controls in your initial question - what do you think that means?

You said specifically ATC controls in your initial question - what do you think that means?
I think it means I took the step directly out of the service manual and was seeking clarity of understanding. Does it mean air temp control or auto temp control? Based on your description I assume it means "auto", but this particular TLA was unfamiliar to me in this context. The manual only mentions the ATC, not any mention of removal of climate controls other than which is why I had the question I did. Your initial response was very helpful, thank you.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 105911.png

I think it means I took the step directly out of the service manual and was seeking clarity of understanding. Does it mean air temp control or auto temp control? Based on your description I assume it means "auto", but this particular TLA was unfamiliar to me in this context. The manual only mentions the ATC, not any mention of removal of climate controls other than which is why I had the question I did. Your initial response was very helpful, thank you.

View attachment 624491
OK, it should come right out pretty easily now. Those blower switches are pretty junky and often the ground for the heater motors is usually corroded after all these years, causing lots of resistance and overheating the wires going through the system resulting in overheating/partially melting them. Cleaning up the ground for the heater motor, however, requires removing the passenger side inner fender that is never a pleasant task but is worth doing if you plan on keeping the car.

Yes, ATC usually means Auto Temp Control system.

Last edited:
Back