Help!

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Everyday presents a new problem! Again, putting my 65 Sport Fury convertible back together and working on the rear quarter windows. In the backside of the window, attached to the body is a rubber weatherstrip, gasket that is shot on both sides; pieces broke off and missing. It appears to be 3x3 or 3x4 inches but given their condition, hard to tell. Almost looks like 3/16 to 1/8 rubber material held on with one screw/ bolt. I can not find this in my Service Technical Manual or can I find reference to it on the internet or any vendor catalogs. If I knew what it is suppose to look like and the dimensions, it might be fabricated. Does anyone know what this is, if it can be purchased and the dimensions might be? Thanks

You mentioned "tech manuals", what about Chrysler parts books. Even if you find something in a year different from yours, the "group number" should be the same for all years. With that information, it might be in plain open sight in the '65 parts book.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Here are images I've exported from the 65 Parts Catalogue that might show the parts you're describing:

Convertible glass, run channels & weatherstrips and their numbers on the parts list
65 VERT GLASS 1.jpg

List of part names and where they're found in the book - I believe you might be talking about parts in the list #s 1 and 2
As you can see, their code is 23-58-572 and 23-58-573... weatherstrip and retainer

65 Vert glass 2.jpg

Part numbers in the part code area of the book that deals with the weatherstrip and retainer found at the back of the rear 1/4 glass.
You would look for 23-58-572 and 23-58-573 in the left hand column, and then move over to the column that supports your particular car - in this case, the 3rd column - Plymouth Fury, Dodge Polara and Chrysler, and look for part numbers. Part numbers are Left and Right if there are a pair (one for each side).

65 Vert glass 3.jpg

Hope this helps

Here are images I've exported from the 65 Parts Catalogue that might show the parts you're describing:

Convertible glass, run channels & weatherstrips and their numbers on the parts list
View attachment 538075

List of part names and where they're found in the book - I believe you might be talking about parts in the list #s 1 and 2
As you can see, their code is 23-58-572 and 23-58-573... weatherstrip and retainer

View attachment 538076

Part numbers in the part code area of the book that deals with the weatherstrip and retainer found at the back of the rear 1/4 glass.
You would look for 23-58-572 and 23-58-573 in the left hand column, and then move over to the column that supports your particular car - in this case, the 3rd column - Plymouth Fury, Dodge Polara and Chrysler, and look for part numbers. Part numbers are Left and Right if there are a pair (one for each side).

View attachment 538077

Hope this helps
Thanks. It looks like I am after #86 on the picture which is 23-64-202 which is a seal, both sides but the page for that is different than the one you displayed. I don’t have the book you have and my manual does not display them. Given that, where and how would I procure those? They are very thin and so weathered, they basically crumble. After looking at 2 65 SF’s at a salvage yard this morning, not something I can make?

Last edited:
Part numbers 2573 776 and 2573 777

Convertible ONLY - Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler.

Doesn't show up on Partsvoice anywhere, but perhaps @marty mopar can help.

Can you show us a picture of yours - or what's left of yours - perhaps someone can advise you on how to make your own.

@Mike66Chryslers might be able to help - he has a 66 Chrysler convertible, and perhaps he's got a work around for the part. The part is shown in the 66 catalogue's picture, parts list is the same (#86, Seal, 23-64-202), but does not show up in the parts listing in that section.

Part numbers 2573 776 and 2573 777

Convertible ONLY - Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler.

Doesn't show up on Partsvoice anywhere, but perhaps @marty mopar can help.

Can you show us a picture of yours - or what's left of yours - perhaps someone can advise you on how to make your own.

@Mike66Chryslers might be able to help - he has a 66 Chrysler convertible, and perhaps he's got a work around for the part. The part is shown in the 66 catalogue's picture, parts list is the same (#86, Seal, 23-64-202), but does not show up in the parts listing in that section.
Thanks for all the info. It gives me something to work with. I will try and get a picture; car is at restoration shop.

I actually don't remember that seal #86 from when I was working on the rear windows in my convertible. Does it attach to the top of the rear window channel, #78? Is it visible from above when you roll down the rear window and look down inside the opening from above?

I had a problem in that one of my rubber down-stop bumpers #85 had disintegrated. I couldn't find a reproduction anywhere so I cut one out of a large chunk of black rubber.

I believe this is the part. When the top goes up & down, the bottom edge of the vertical window channel brushes against the seal and probably causes them to fail with age. It is a pretty complex shape, so would be tricky to make a new one.

rear seal a.jpg

rear seal b.jpg

rear seal c.jpg

I believe this is the part. When the top goes up & down, the bottom edge of the vertical window channel brushes against the seal and probably causes them to fail with age. It is a pretty complex shape, so would be tricky to make a new one.

View attachment 538256

View attachment 538257

View attachment 538258
Your right on with regard to the seal I am talking about and your top picture is exactly what mine look like! Need to be replaced but being it is a molded, shaped piece, not sure how to address if I can't find a pair to buy? Thanks for you in
ut.

Years ago, in the WPC tech help section of their club magazine, a member said he built some "unobtainium" front sway bar insulators (that the sway bar went through) by getting some Devcon 90 material and pushing it into the retainer bracket while stabilizing the sway bar in the middle of the bracket. After throoughly packing the area, he said he let it cure for a good while. He was pleased with the results. He did not mention any sort of mold release he put on the bar, though, so the bar was then bonded to the rubber in the bracket.

With a suitably firm silicone sealer, when fully cured, you might take some measurements and then make a square blob of the sealer. Let it cure extra long, then whittle it back to the desired shape?

Both methods might be a bit too time-consuming, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Years ago, in the WPC tech help section of their club magazine, a member said he built some "unobtainium" front sway bar insulators (that the sway bar went through) by getting some Devcon 90 material and pushing it into the retainer bracket while stabilizing the sway bar in the middle of the bracket. After throoughly packing the area, he said he let it cure for a good while. He was pleased with the results. He did not mention any sort of mold release he put on the bar, though, so the bar was then bonded to the rubber in the bracket.

With a suitably firm silicone sealer, when fully cured, you might take some measurements and then make a square blob of the sealer. Let it cure extra long, then whittle it back to the desired shape?

Both methods might be a bit too time-consuming, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I suspect that there are multiple models for multiple years that this seal is used. I further suspect that that for all those years and all those models, those seals are the same and in the same condition as mine. Does it create a problem, I don’t know. However, if I could piece together one with glue or find one in decent shape, a mold could be created and these could be easily reproduced. I am retired; time available!

I looked at these pieces on my '66 Newport convertible. Mine look to be original, intact but old and dried out. If a source is found for reproduction ones, I would be interested in buying some spares to have on-hand. Possibly they are the same as B-body convertible pieces? Parts suppliers often don't list (and possibly aren't even aware of) C-body applications. The convertible top latches are an example of that.

I looked at these pieces on my '66 Newport convertible. Mine look to be original, intact but old and dried out. If a source is found for reproduction ones, I would be interested in buying some spares to have on-hand. Possibly they are the same as B-body convertible pieces? Parts suppliers often don't list (and possibly aren't even aware of) C-body applications. The convertible top latches are an example of that.
I am going to try and get mine out. I suspect that they are the same for both sides and if I can get them glued together to make one, my idea is to make a plaster of paris mold and coat it with liquid gasket, or something similar, and let it cure! Worth a try!

Unfortunately they are mirror images.

Looking through the parts books, it looks like they are only found on C-body convertibles 1965-68 and Imperial convertibles 67-68

Unfortunately they are mirror images.

Looking through the parts books, it looks like they are only found on C-body convertibles 1965-68 and Imperial convertibles 67-68
Hmmmm! If I can make it work and it is flexible, turn the second one inside out; mirror image!

View attachment 538075

View attachment 538076

View attachment 538077

Hope this helps
Can you post a picture of the cover of this catalog so I am able to try an purchase it. The person putting the car back together for me is not the same as the person who took it apart and this catalog with the pictures would save tons of time. Thanks.

Back