Holley Sniper EFI for BBD carbs!

V Scott Senter

Reaction score
For those of us with low-po 383 BBD 2-BBL cars, here's an interesting new product that showed up in my inbox from RacingJunk.com. Impress your friends with smooth performance, lightning acceleration (not), instantaneous starting, AND better fuel economy. Plus, your C-Body is now a 21st century FUEL INJECTED ENGINE! Whoohoo!

Holley Sniper EFI for Jeep CJs with the BBD Carburetor

Scott
A BUNCH of fuseys (including BBD's)
Klamath Falls, OR

An INTERESTING development!

Do ALL of the BBDs have the same mounting flange? What bolt spacing?

Welcome AND Thanks,
CBODY67

A direct bolt on to our stock intake manifolds originally with the Thermo quads, correct?

Sniper EFI Quadrajet™ - Holley Performance Products

Screenshot_2018-09-16-10-23-26.jpg

Chrysler put Rochester QJets on their mid-80s 4bbl engines as TQuads were out of production. Especially on the 318 Police engines of the time. I believe the TQuad was a taller carb than either the Holley 4bbls or the QJets?

CBODY67

After seeing the Jeep application of the 2bbl Sniper, I wanted to determine the throttle bore size of the BBDs being replaced. The picture of the BBD mounting gasket sure looked like the 1.56" throttle bores used on the 383s, but I wanted to make sure.

My search led me to a REALLY GOOD CARB CATALOG RESOURCE!
www.walkerproducts.com/wp-content/catalogs/carburetor/by-model/carter.pdf

That brought up the illustrations related to seemingly every Carter carburetor. Carb kit illustrations, small part illustrations, etc. Starting with the AFB/AVS and working backward to the much earlier 2bbls and 1bbls. Backtracking to the base website, MORE things were revealed in Holleys, too. And it appears they sell what's displayed on the website, too.

Just something I found that I suspect others might benefit from. No more, no less.

I did learn how to visually tell the small BBDs from the 383-style BBDs. The latter have a much fuller float bowl area, almost square, rather then the smaller one in the 318-style BBDs. See the related air horn to main body gaskets for more clarification.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Looking at enlarged pictures of the orig carb on the Holley installation page, the top of the carb looks like the 1 1/4" version rather than the 1 1/2" version.

CBODY67

None of those dimensions are for the throttle bore diameter. Check them against a Carter BBD for a Chrysler 318, then for a 383.

The main reason for that system is the Jeep market, with particular attention to the off-road trail driving Jeep owners.

The "small" BBD can be identified by the more angular configuration of the float bowl area, whereas the 1.56" throttle bore model (used on Chrysler 361 (B) and 383 2bbl engines had a flatter front section with the sides being more parallel to the valve covers.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

None of those dimensions are for the throttle bore diameter. Check them against a Carter BBD for a Chrysler 318, then for a 383.

The main reason for that system is the Jeep market, with particular attention to the off-road trail driving Jeep owners.

The "small" BBD can be identified by the more angular configuration of the float bowl area, whereas the 1.56" throttle bore model (used on Chrysler 361 (B) and 383 2bbl engines had a flatter front section with the sides being more parallel to the valve covers.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
There answer back was the link I shared. No words.LOL

Put one on your 383 and get back to us to see how it went

Or you can go with the 2300 series 2bbl EFI

Back