Hood mount turn signal - replace bulb?

mcmlvii

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little stumped. What we have here is a '66 Sport Fury hood-mounted turn signal indicator. I see a knurled piece for the bulb socket but I cannot for the life of me get it to loosen (WD40, heat, pliers, vice grips, pretty much everything short of snapping something off). Anyone here got words of wisdom for getting the dead bulb out of this thing? Or do I just go the destructo route and reef on it 'til something gives? Thanks

IMG_0118.JPG

Yeah the knob is threaded, try some PB plaster, GIBBS or some other sort of corrosion eating liquids...

Thanks for all the suggestions. The indicator is currently enjoying the day at the local vinegar spa. If the vinegar doesn't work, I'll work my way up the chain to the other treatments.

Eureka!!! I got the turn indicator apart this morning. I don't know if the 2 day vinegar spa worked but it removed corrosion from other parts. I used more heat today and vice grips with the indicator in a vice. The rusted threads finally broke free. Then it was a small matter of digging out the old bulb without ruining the socket. The wire broke at the end so I soldered the tip back on.
IMG_20140315_113633_949.jpg

IMG_20140315_114114_060.jpg

Back