How big a deal to put aftermarket A/C system in a car that had no A/C?

Commando1 not sure if yours is the same as my 67 coronet I had. I never got great ac out of the car (when all else was rebuilt or new AND running sanden pump). I took apart the airbox and tested that valve that is supposed to close when the big main door opens. I the rod was hooked up but internally the valve must have rusted away in the inside. What I discovered when the AC turned on it didnt stop the flow of coolant thru the heater core. Basically my coronet was blowing thru a hot heater core and a cold evaporator making the whole operation moot. I pinched off the heater hose and wow had great AC then. felt like having the AC on but the temp slider all the way to hot. Just my experiance

Commando1 not sure if...
I pinched off the heater hose and wow had great AC then.
thinking.gif

Hmmm.
Thanks.
And it's Stan

This is good info. My '67 Imperial has the heat always running. A fellow Imperialist suggested it might be bad vacuum on the AutoTemp, but my understanding is that a high-vacuum signal creates heat, so a bad vacuum line wouldn't produce heat all the time. But a rusted-out, or otherwise bad internal valve, on the other hand.....

I think I'm back to running the heater feed hose into a loop to see what that gets me.

I've installed Vintage Air kits but not on a C body. Honestly I'd take that kit over any factory stuff because it's all new. You'll normally find original stuff with bad vacuum diaphrams, full of mice, missing screws, bad condensors, etc. The vintage kit went right in, was smaller, took less power to run, and cooled better than factory. I did replace the dashes with factory AC ones though - so the stuff looked factory.

Bringing this back from the dead.

I have a Vintage Air Mark IV under dash A/C that I want to install in my 65 Polara. Does anyone know where the best place is to bring the hoses thru the firewall? I plan to use a bulkhead fitting.

Kevin

Bringing this back from the dead.

I have a Vintage Air Mark IV under dash A/C that I want to install in my 65 Polara. Does anyone know where the best place is to bring the hoses thru the firewall? I plan to use a bulkhead fitting.

Kevin

Hi, I've recently been researching systems to replace what I have in my '68 Chrysler 300 because the heater core leaks (over $350 just for parts!!!), and Vintage Air looks like the way to go. I'd like to get rid of the bulky & iffy vacuum-operated factory system and replace it with a compact, modern, servo-controlled system. Check out their catalog at the website linked below. All of their parts are available through Summit. A complete system is less than $1500. For now I'll probably just get the heater/defrost unit (11300-VUZ-A cost $349) because I live in the Northwest and then add the A/C components later if I choose.

http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2012 Vintage Air Complete Catalog web.pdf

Back