How do I get this big C clip on the steering coloumn and where does it go

On my T&T columns it sits on the plastic. I've taken them apart multiple times, so this I remember. However, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the same with other columns. However, looking at the pic of the plastic piece in this thread, I can see the recess in it that looks like it aligns the C clip. That's what prompted my response as such. I would be pretty sure the parts catalogue will have a blow-up pic showing the order if it doesn't say in the FSM.

Edit - I did see it in my 66 FSM for T&T columns, and it's shown here. You can see it in the blow-up parts sitting directly under the pic of the steering wheel (the second line of parts). The C clip (called here a snap ring although it doesn't have ANY spring action in itself) sits directly on the plastic part (called Carrier). Again, this is specific to the 66 T&T Delco column. Hope this helps.

Doc1.jpg

Last edited:
On my T&T columns it sits on the plastic. I've taken them apart multiple times, so this I remember. However, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the same with other columns. However, looking at the pic of the plastic piece in this thread, I can see the recess in it that looks like it aligns the C clip. That's what prompted my response as such. I would be pretty sure the parts catalogue will have a blow-up pic showing the order if it doesn't say in the FSM.

Edit - I did see it in my 66 FSM for T&T columns, and it's shown here. You can see it in the blow-up parts sitting directly under the pic of the steering wheel (the second line of parts). The C clip (called here a snap ring although it doesn't have ANY spring action in itself) sits directly on the plastic part (called Carrier). Again, this is specific to the 66 T&T Delco column. Hope this helps.

View attachment 360980

Yeah, your right it goes on top of the plastic piece. Thanks for the blow out diagragm. I do have that one and I can see it now goes on plastic. Its the same as your 66

The lock plate in question wasn't in the '66 cars. Started in '70, as I recall.

On my '70 Monaco tilt column, which might be a bit different from the T&T column, what holds the lock plate on is the round clip I mentioned. Which is what the compressor/steering wheel remover tool presses down to compress the spring. On my column, there is a recess near the center, which mates with a recess in the cancelling cam, which sticks through the specific area of the lock plate.

The lock plate has a "dead spline" so it will be in the correct position when installed. Just a sthe steering wheel has a similar "dead spline" that mates with the upper stub of the column. Which relates to another issue . . . did this whole deal start to replace the turn signal switch or a complete column disassembly-rebuild? IF the answer is "replace the turn signal switch", then proceed onward. IF the answer was the other option, PM me.

My suspicion is that if the flat clip replaces the circular clip on my '70 tilt column, then it is what keeps everything in its place. Which means it is installed after the lock plate is compressed past the retention groove in the upper stub shaft. Last part of "the build" of the column before the steering wheel is installed. But my experience is with the tilt-only columns, which might be a bit different from the T&T columns. A '72 parts book or FSM might reveal if there are any differences in the tilt-only or T&T columns in this area.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The lock plate in question wasn't in the '66 cars. Started in '70, as I recall.

On my '70 Monaco tilt column, which might be a bit different from the T&T column, what holds the lock plate on is the round clip I mentioned. Which is what the compressor/steering wheel remover tool presses down to compress the spring. On my column, there is a recess near the center, which mates with a recess in the cancelling cam, which sticks through the specific area of the lock plate.

The lock plate has a "dead spline" so it will be in the correct position when installed. Just a sthe steering wheel has a similar "dead spline" that mates with the upper stub of the column. Which relates to another issue . . . did this whole deal start to replace the turn signal switch or a complete column disassembly-rebuild? IF the answer is "replace the turn signal switch", then proceed onward. IF the answer was the other option, PM me.

My suspicion is that if the flat clip replaces the circular clip on my '70 tilt column, then it is what keeps everything in its place. Which means it is installed after the lock plate is compressed past the retention groove in the upper stub shaft. Last part of "the build" of the column before the steering wheel is installed. But my experience is with the tilt-only columns, which might be a bit different from the T&T columns. A '72 parts book or FSM might reveal if there are any differences in the tilt-only or T&T columns in this area.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Okay, I got the C clip on tonight. Let me know if this looks right. Is this where its supposed to go on the plastic piece? I believe so. It was a bear to get on but I ended u p just putting 2 screwdrivers on both sides of the shaft and near the shaft pushed like heck and pushed the clip over the plastic nub piece sticking up, clip sitting on top of plastic nub while taking a breather then pushed hard again and with a pair of needle nose pushed it over the nub ( careful cause its easy to break off that plastic nub) . The tool I rented was useless as when u hook it up the telescopic shaft comes up and u run out of tool (long fork) and it does nothing ( it will not compress the spring because forks are not long enough). U could make a very long fork piece that goes down on the plastic piece and then even that is sketchy because it does not sit well on the plastic and if it slips off u will destroy your turn signal switch or something else. any ways here are some pics of it and let me know if its in the right spot and order.

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

Rkrochen, I am not sure about that.

As far as I know, the clip goes over the plastic part and then the metal part goes over that. There's a very specific recessed area molded into the plastic part to align the C clip, and I am not sure how one would slide the C clip in with the metal part in place..

Do I have the clip on correct? Check my latest pics from last night.

Took my T&T column apart on my 66 one roasting hot southern Florida day about 3 hours before I had to go to work. Big mistake. Fortunately my totally pissed off girlfriend was able to help me press the spring into place and reinstall this clip. This is one area I recommend never messing with. Never knew there was a special tool for doing this. Back in 87 there was no internet to buy something like this.

Took my T&T column apart on my 66 one roasting hot southern Florida day about 3 hours before I had to go to work. Big mistake. Fortunately my totally pissed off girlfriend was able to help me press the spring into place and reinstall this clip. This is one area I recommend never messing with. Never knew there was a special tool for doing this. Back in 87 there was no internet to buy something like this.
You didn't miss anything. The tool u can rent or buy is useless doing this. There is not enough room or u have to make your own. I just used 2 flat head screwdrivers and used my body weight to push like hell down then pushed c clip over plastic thing, got it resting hung up on the plastic edge sticking up took a breather, pushed like hell again and then sliped it over the plastic nub sticking up. Its a real bugger. Don't recommend doing it unless absolutely necessary u have to do this to replace something. I got the car back to together and works fine

I did the exact same thing the first time as wizard says, and it was a PITA... however, the tool is cheap and easy to make - I'll detail how it works with some pics later on.

Back