How is this fuel pump even working??

66furys

Reaction score
Bougbt a chinese pump and was a bit unhappy with what I was seeing, so after some review on line, got a Carter. Carter made in Mx vs China, but hey. So, installed the Carter. And here are my concerns, and I am SURE you have seen this before. The old pump would keep the clear filter absolutely full, and would drain down over about two weeks to low level. OK. But, started engine with Carter, and the fuel will sputter into the filter, then rush to fill it. Then it will stop pumping and the filter will completely drain down empty. Sit for a bit, and repeat. Not sure what in the H is going on, and no idea how you can maintain 4-7 psi under these conditions. So far, the engine is running, but I will have to do a bit more before confident to road test. Carter says they see this all the time. OK, do I remove and install the new China doll, or just put up with this nonsense. Whaddayathink.

Always had an opaque Fram fuel filter on the '66 Newport 383 2bbl. Wanted to make sure the pump was working correctly. Usually 1/2 full, but sometimes appearing empty as the engine ran as normal.

Conventional wisdom would indicate that whenever the pump is working, the filter should have fuel in it, visually, BUT that is not always the case, from my experiences.

Consider the "chrome" OEM filter as an idiot light. Never know when it's really empty as long as the engine runs normally. The "clear" filter can be a gauge that doesn't always read correctly, but is what it is.

Just some experiences,
CBODY67

Too much worrying for nothing, ovethinking. Put on a metal filter and drive the car.

what made you “unhappy with what I was seeing” on the other pump?

very common for clear filter to have air in them, and the car drive just fine.

When the carb is full of fuel remove the supply line and put it in a jug, start it up and see the volume of fuel coming out. Now hook up a pressure gauge and measure what that pump is doing.
Maybe you will feel better about it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys..... I will start at the top. My pump had the patina of most of my new car..... OLD. So, just to try to get things to a level I have confidence in, wanted a new one..... it was working fine. Who knows how long a diaphram will last... hmm. I am trying to agree with not worrying about what I cannot see in a can filter. But, my main problem with the china pump was that I could almost not compress the lever... way hard to compress. And, a lot of folks complaining here and elsewhere about the china dolls, and how good the Carter is..... so, more dinero. So, Carter is bascially saying what you guys are..... so will run for now and see if I can gain confidence in the RoadKill. Thanks

So, to finish the story....I could not take this mess. Planned to replace the pump, but in my sleep, decided to do some diagostics first. Put electric pump on the inlet line and got nothing....normally will just drain the tank as done couple times.....nothing. An air leak. Found same in new rubber line behind the stub frame and could not fix it even with sealant on the metal line. I may have cracked the metal line when trying to bend it upwards during rubber replace....it was angled down about 30 degrees, and I wanted it at least horizontal. In any case, I thought the metal line now bad. Pulled new metal thru the stub, hooked up with new rubber, and now the clear filter is running full again. So, message here, if you are seeing sputtering or air in filters.....also check your fuel line. I found that the electric pump will pull clear fuel when good....if bubbles in the line....clear silicone, it aint right.

Back