How to Get Wiper Arms Off?-77 New Yorker

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the wiper arms off of a 1977 New Yorker? I have the blades off but the arms are stuck. Also, while I was moving the retaining spring, the clips pictured below popped off, and now the retaining spring has disappeared. If anyone has any info on how to get these off, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

driversidewiper.jpg

wiperretainers.jpg

Those things that popped off are to hold the spring tension as part of the removal procedure. You need to put them back.

The wiper mechanism hinges at the rivet.
Pull the wiper away from the glass,
Put a flat blade screwdriver under the tab for the bracket pry up on it (that's why it has slots),
Relax the spring tension to rest on the bracket,
Wiggle and pull up on the assembly...pops right off.

There's a tab that locks the arm to the pivot under the arm itself. Press it away from the pivot shaft and lever up at the same time on the other side (put something down to protect the paint). Should pop right off.
7045359-DSC05077rs.jpg

There's a tab that locks the arm to the pivot under the arm itself. Press it away from the pivot shaft and lever up at the same time on the other side (put something down to protect the paint). Should pop right off.
View attachment 450753
Thank you for the photo! Do you know where the mounting points for those clips are, as I do not see it on that wiper.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

Back