How to print up a complete post?

Now, there must be a limit somewhere. I just tried the "Epic Woops thread" and it won't load all 80 pages. There is probably a limit in the print queue because of the size of the file. (just like photo limits or title character limits)
The computer cant print what it doesn't see.

Not the website can include a feature that the server compiles the pages for print then it might, but not on the local user side.

Alan

As you can see in this example,
33 print pages to print just page 1 of the thread.
View attachment 421874

Alan
Yes you are correct. You can only print 1 page of content at a time. (20 posts/page.) How many pieces of paper it takes depends on how long each post is and whether it includes photos or not. Maybe the site software only loads 1 page at a time into memory instead of the whole thread. I can see where that would make sense. a 100 page thread would take a lot of ram space especially if it was loaded with photos and would rarely if ever be needed. (the whole 100 pages loaded at once)

There are browser add ins that can help. This one for Edge still only allows the printing of the page you are on, but on 1/2 as many pieces of paper.

Yes you are correct. You can only print 1 page of content at a time.
That was my point to start with, and why I disagreed with your earlier post. Good to see that we are all on the same page. That is why I was grateful to @Joeychgo for looking into whether the capability might be added.

a 100 page thread would take a lot of ram space especially if it was loaded with photos and would rarely if ever be needed. (the whole 100 pages loaded at once)
The OP (@haywire 440) and I are examples of folks who would find this optionality useful. Not to print on paper in my case, but to save as PDF files so that I can readily do searches at later times and partial-word searches (for example) without taxing the website.

The search engine will pull any posts that contain the characters DH41L1D "exactly" as you type them. It won't list the post that you linked to because that post contains the whole VIN and not the characters exactly as you typed them in. The vin in the post you linked to does contain the characters "DH41L1D" but not as they were typed in the search engine.
Here too, that was my point.

Think of how the program is written for it to work and not the way you think it should or would like it to. Making a change that looks simple may take hours which equates to may dollars to re-write it or modify features.
I fully understand. That is why I made a respectful request and said "it would be great" to have that capability added -- as opposed to (say) complaining that the capability is not there.

Bottom line, if @Joeychgo can/wants to make either or both improvements, I'll be a very happy camper. If the reprogramming cost is high, then perhaps the features could be added as a benefit of gold membership. I am a gold member because I like the site and want to support it, and I plan to remain as such anyways -- but I would be happy to pay for such capabilities as well.

Last edited:
Bottom line, if @Joeychgo can/wants to make either or both improvements, I'll be a very happy camper. If the reprogramming cost is high, then perhaps the features could be added as a benefit of gold membership. I am a gold member because I like the site and want to support it, and I plan to remain as such anyways -- but I would be happy pay for such capabilities as well.

Here is the thing. I did find an addon that will allow you to print threads. HOWEVER, the addon is not yet available for the new version of the software, which we will be upgrading to soon. I am inquiring as to whether we can get it updated for the newer software version.

I installed the addon to make it possible to print - HOWEVER -- I cannot guarantee I will be able to continue it when the site is upgraded to the new version of the software.

upload_2020-12-10_12-42-43.png

That was my point to start with, and why I disagreed with your earlier post. Good to see that we are all on the same page. That is why I was grateful to @Joeychgo for looking into whether the capability might be added.

The OP (@haywire 440) and I are examples of folks who would find this optionality useful. Not to print on paper in my case, but to save as PDF files so that I can readily do searches at later times and partial-word searches (for example) without taxing the website.

Here too, that was my point.

I fully understand. That is why I made a respectful request and said "it would be great" to have that capability added -- as opposed to (say) complaining that the capability is not there.

Bottom line, if @Joeychgo can/wants to make either or both improvements, I'll be a very happy camper. If the reprogramming cost is high, then perhaps the features could be added as a benefit of gold membership. I am a gold member because I like the site and want to support it, and I plan to remain as such anyways -- but I would be happy to pay for such capabilities as well.
Just as a suggestion, you can bookmark posts you want to save and unless website were to crash and all information was lost you will be able to retrieve it easily. I have many pages of bookmarks that I refer back to often. Now talking about needed features, a search function there or a way to rearrange them would be a plus for me because I use the bookmark feature so often.

I installed the addon to make it possible to print - HOWEVER -- I cannot guarantee I will be able to continue it when the site is upgraded to the new version of the software.

Thank you very much. The new functionality works really well!

Since no good deed goes unpunished, I will now hope that you can add the search capability I was mentioning :)

Last edited:
@Joeychgo -- the whole thread printing is a major time-saver. Thanks again for adding that capability.

--> any chance you might add the same option for private conversations?

Back