I need to replace my 904

I never played much with 904's because back in school days pretty all 727's, but they are pretty much the same inside.

I'd use an old wire spool table (hole in center) to hold the case up. You don't need that many tools, seal installer helpers, clutch pack tools, can't quite remember but they weren't that expensive and always easy to resell.

Snap On makes a giant pair of snap ring pliers for the tailshaft bearing circlip, I still have those.

A skilled tech can probably assemble one start to finish in a couple hours without goofing anything up.

I never played much with 904's because back in school days pretty all 727's, but they are pretty much the same inside.

I'd use an old wire spool table (hole in center) to hold the case up. You don't need that many tools, seal installer helpers, clutch pack tools, can't quite remember but they weren't that expensive and always easy to resell.

Snap On makes a giant pair of snap ring pliers for the tailshaft bearing circlip, I still have those.

A skilled tech can probably assemble one start to finish in a couple hours without goofing anything up.
Basic disassembly and assembly of 904 and 727 is the same and yes it is pretty straight forward. If you were only disassembling, replacing clutches and seals and reassemble it would only take a couple hours. If you want to clean and inspect everything, check all the ware components for proper spec, replace all the bushings and clean and inspect the valve body it will take much longer. If you do it, do it right because doing it twice sucks.

You will need a few special tools to do the job right. Pullers, snap ring pliers, feeler gauges, dial indicator, bushing remover/installer, clutch compressor, just to name the major ones.

Auto trannies are something that gets in your blood. I started working at an AAMCO Transmissions in 1978. The smell... All of these cars with fried trannies. Endless. Grew to really love a standard transmission.

My 1st decent car was from the back row of abandoned cars at AAMCO, a '67 Rambler Ambassador 4dr with 232 6 cylinder. Me and this tranny whiz from Texas Stan rebuilt the tranny after hours. The car was free and the tranny kit $50. Super sweet car, two tone brown with darker top.

One day at lunch I ended up at a friend's house that had a '62 Impala SS in the backyard, 409 2x4bbl, 4sp, Copper/White, Power Windows, and a blown up diff "his third one", typical Chevy, and wanted to trade straight across for the Ambassador, pink slips right now, and I wisely said no and went back to work.

Hello all, I have some updates.
I have removed my transmission and discovered that I have two holes in the pump body casting.
I have tried to purchase this pump from local shops, the surrounding area and even the internet and am not able to find it.
I am hopeful some one here may be able to direct me to some new phone numbers to call.
Here are pictures of the front and back of the pump. I have been told this is a non lock up pump.
Any help will be really appreciated. Thank you

PXL_20230622_003043341~2.jpg

PXL_20230622_003010590.jpg

I assume those are just casting flaws, or perhaps from corrosion? Those holes don't look like they are in any passages or areas that would have fluid pressure in them so I would be tempted to just JB Weld them up and put it back in service.

I rebuilt my 727 in my 68 T/C wagon some years ago because at the time rebuilds in my area were in the $1500-$2000 range!! I've done several manual transmissions and a host of other mechanical stuff so figured I should just rebuild it myself. Was actually quite an easy rebuild and the parts with a new converter were under $500.

I have two holes in the pump body casting.
holy f''k. ain't never seen anything like that before. looking at the inside of the casting, i don't see where the holes come through. these torque converters have a history of cracking around the hub. you should check that if you haven't already. great that you're doing this yourself. no doubt that you'll be successful with it and can charge others $1500 to do theirs! try this https://transend.us/products/transmission-parts edit: checked the link, nfg. in the past i've called and they were able to bail me out with parts not listed, but that was the past of course.

Last edited:
I have seen this before and it was only a casting flaw. It didn’t create any issues. I would like to see a close up of the front bushing and seal. Also take a pic of the converter sealing area.
One more thing when you go to reinstall this you need to make sure that the converter is fully engaged. I rotate the converter while putting some inward pressure on it. You will feel it engage but keep spinning it to make sure it’s fully in. You will know when you go to install the tranny. There should be a gap between the converter and flex plate. If they are tight the converter isn’t engaged. This will damage the front pump for sure.

Hello all. Sorry it has been awhile, progress is slow.
I think I have a plan to resolve and am looking for some affirmation this is a good approach. I added the requested pics.|
I also created a short 5m video on youtube showing all the parts and plan. Though not sure I am allowed to share that here.
I am not promoting anything, just looking for some advise. If that is allowed, and someone will find that helpful, I will post it.

Here is a recap from my inspection after removing the pump.

Once the trans was removed, I found what I thought was a hole in the pump.(see previous post) The weak casting on the front of the pump broke through right where other 904s seem to have vent.
So this is most likely not the cause of my leak. ?

The gear set had no teeth left. Gonzo. The seal looked Ok.
The bushing literally fell out of the pump. Additionally the old bushing does not fit on the converter. The old bushing is misshapen.
New bushings fit my converter without any issues.

69 Fury 904 (original parts)
Front pump casting# None (no vent)
Base pump casting# 2538410

In trying to find parts... I purchased the following:
A NOS front pump face. Has a new seal and bushing and a vent hole.
Casting # A-F C 3365

73 Charger 904 (for parts)
Front pump face casting #2538278 (identical to NOS in appearance, different casting)
Base Casting# 2538410 (matches my fury base pump casting #)

My plan as of right now, is to use the following combination:
Pump Base from 73 charger
NOS Face / new gears and bushing
Converter from Fury

My hesitation, I only have the misshapen bushing and broken gear on my fury to account for the leak.
Maybe that's enough? Is the ruined gear enough to make the pump stop pumping and push fluid through the seal?

The proposed combination, if compatible, has all new parts. Only physical difference is the vent hole.
Is there an issue installing this face type when the previous face did not seem to have it?

I really appreciate the help.
Thank you

OG_BushingAndConverter.jpg

OG_FrontSeal.jpg

Judging from the pic, I think you need to use another converter. I would say that there's a good chance of tearing up the new bushing and seal.

1688045006557.png

Thanks Big John. I know your right, just did not want to spend the money. but is the right thing to do.
I understand not wanting to spend the money... Been there, done that, couldn't afford the tee shirt.

The thing is you'll be doing it all over again if you don't.

Hello and good afternoon.

It has been a while, but I finally got my 904 back in the car. Unfortunately, once I added the fluids I had a small drip coming out the front. Even before I started the car. I went ahead and started it anyway but the drip was a slow and constant. Did not seem to mater if I put it in gear or not. No change under load. Transmission otherwise seemed like it was engaged and ready to go.

I pulled the trans again, removed the converter and found the leak was coming from the bottom of the pump. Not the seal. I checked all the bolts and they were to spec. 14 ft.pounds I belive. I am going to pull the pump, but seems the only thing I can do here is replace the o ring again?

Is there something else I can do to make sure this doesn't leak here? Any gasket sealers or permatex I could use?
Really appreciate the help. Hoping to get the car to Daytona this year for the Turkey trot. Only a few weeks away.
Cheers

Last edited:
I feel like this may be the o ring.
I had another pump face with o ring, another 904 transmission I pulled the pump off of, and the pump I just pulled out of my transmission.
Every o ring was a different size/thickness. I had already ordered one to pick up tomorrow, but feel I am going to go with whatever is the thickest.
The one I had that was leaking did not even come to even with the pump. I probably just put it on from my kit and did not think anything of it, but seems that would not really seal anything.

Anyone else had this issue. The o ring should be barely bigger than or at least equal with the pump sides correct?

It’s been quite awhile since I did one of these but there are a couple of things you can check. If I remember correctly you can have a misalignment of the pump halves. There is some play in the bolt holes that allow for slight movement. When you take it apart take a close look to see if the edges are aligned all around the pump. When I rebuild these I assemble the pump upside down in the empty case prior to tightening the bolts. If there is a misalignment you will likely experience some binding issues when you installed it and when you remove it. This could damage the o-ring.
Also I can’t remember if there is rubber coated washers on the pump to case bolts. These could be a potential leak area.

Back