I painted my first car today!

thethee

Reaction score
IMG-20220923-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20220923-WA0011.jpg

It's just primer for now, but I'm really pleased! I mean it when I say I'm not a body man so it took some time to get here (and will take plenty more time). Can't wait to get final colour on.

A monkey can spray paint. Prep.

Endless prep, and in high gloss black, you're about to find out just how good you are.

Looks great, just leave it primered and you're done.

Easy touchups ;]

Finished up another paint session, everything has two or three coats of primer now.

20220930_162532.jpg

Only after it dried did I notice that the trunk lid got rather patchy... Will sanding it in prep for colour take that out or do I need to give it another coat?

20220930_162327.jpg

Real pleased with the front clip though!

20220930_162517.jpg

Finished up another paint session, everything has two or three coats of primer now.

View attachment 560765

Only after it dried did I notice that the trunk lid got rather patchy... Will sanding it in prep for colour take that out or do I need to give it another coat?

View attachment 560766

Real pleased with the front clip though!
Good work! About trunk lid, dense layer of primer is always better base for the top coat.
Keep posting about your progress!

>>Final colour will be jet black<< You are a very brave man. . .
Well... not much choice for a triple black formal where I don't want to do door jams and so on. But I get your point and kinda dreading it a little bit haha.

On the other hand, it looked terrible before and fixed a few dents so it's going to be a vast improvement either way.

Good work! About trunk lid, dense layer of primer is always better base for the top coat.
Keep posting about your progress!
Two heavy (I think, looked heavy to me, but who knows?) coats of primer. Gonna try sanding it smooth first to see how it behaves and maybe shoot more primer afterwards.
Are you going to use the old fashioned single stage Acrylic Enamel?
Yep, single stage all the way!

I've painted a few cars. When it was ready to paint after endless prep the last thing I did was put the car out in the street facing the sun.

This particular car was a 69 Charger and it had a raised line down the side of the car that got dinged a million times in parking lots.

As the sun went down in the late afternoon I would eyeball the paint on the sides. I could spot small imperfections easily and mark them with a felt marker.

Eventually after seemingly endless times I got it ready to paint. It looked perfect afterwards and it was worth the effort.

Take your time so you won't see a small crater somewhere after you are done!

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, painting this myself. Save some money, learn some new skills. Delete the vinyl top while you're at it, painted top will look better. But then the time comes to block sand the thing and you realise it's a four door formal.

What on earth was I thinking.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, painting this myself. Save some money, learn some new skills. Delete the vinyl top while you're at it, painted top will look better. But then the time comes to block sand the thing and you realise it's a four door formal.

What on earth was I thinking.
Maybe you're thinking. "I'll create something awesome with my own hands, something that no one else has. Then I'll shock people with the beauty of Chrysler styling. And why not? 4-doors are cool now anyway."

1664677603541.png

Back