I think its toast .

santts

Reaction score
Looks original. Got very hot and burned alot of casing off the ground wire in my ignition harness. Noticed ground to it was loose and not very good . Wires seem fine in harness. Is it ok to leave copper ground with no plastic casing wrap well with high temp auto tape ?

20230618_215747.jpg

Since a ground wire has no voltage, generally it does not have to be insulated. Insulation protects against dirt and corrosion however.

Please tell us about this ground wire in the ignition harness. Didn’t know there was a ground wire there. And how is it that the only wire burnt was a ground, where did all this power magically come from and only burn one ground wire?

your story doesn’t sound right,

Please tell us about this ground wire in the ignition harness. Didn’t know there was a ground wire there. And how is it that the only wire burnt was a ground, where did all this power magically come from and only burn one ground wire?

your story doesn’t sound right,
Well there's the fusable link wire that goes from the fire wall to plug . That appears to be the one that got hot . It seems quite loose and very dirty . Maybe caused arching ? Luckily only caused ground wire to heat up from what I see so far . I'm no expert but learning .

Well there's the fusable link wire that goes from the fire wall to plug . That appears to be the one that got hot . It seems quite loose and very dirty . Maybe caused arching ? Luckily only caused ground wire to heat up from what I see so far . I'm no expert but learning .
Also the car was running at the time and I shut off immediately

My understanding is that 4-pin ignition modules ground through the case so look at a wiring diagram for the ignition module.

Hot wires carrying input voltage have a fusible link. Ground wires do not, because there's no chance of a voltage/current surge burning up the wire.

Perhaps I'm a little foggy on my high school physics, but as the ignition system gets its power from the "+" side of the battery, then for that circuit to "go somewhere", the power going through the ignition system ends up at the spark plug ground, which is the engine block . . . and what connects it to the "-" post of the battery? Isn't the "fusible link" an inline fuse for the starter circuit only?

If the fusible link "arced", what did it arc to and why?

The ground for the ign control module does need a good case ground to the chassis/body.

I agree that when a "ground" is lost, then electrons seek out the nearest place to jump "to ground", which can cause some "interesting" situations.

CBODY67

Perhaps I'm a little foggy on my high school physics, but as the ignition system gets its power from the "+" side of the battery, then for that circuit to "go somewhere", the power going through the ignition system ends up at the spark plug ground, which is the engine block . . . and what connects it to the "-" post of the battery? Isn't the "fusible link" an inline fuse for the starter circuit only?

If the fusible link "arced", what did it arc to and why?

The ground for the ign control module does need a good case ground to the chassis/body.

I agree that when a "ground" is lost, then electrons seek out the nearest place to jump "to ground", which can cause some "interesting" situations.

CBODY67
It most certainly did Once I clean grounds etc I'll keep ya posted if it fires back up I mean I've been driving it for two years no issues besides regulator and alternator Been charging nice Although I haven't really inspected wiring really closely until now . Thanks for the knowledge. Much appreciated

Back