ID these Power Steering Pumps

Camshaft

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Going through a ton of totes and patching together all the components needed for my engine compartment. Having accumulated many different parts over 20 plus years and having a rather weak system of identifying what came from where, I was surprised to find that I have 3 power steering pumps and have no idea which one came out of the car 17 years ago. My 60+ year old memory can be faulty at times! Chrysler 300 1967 440 TNT. Two of these have the large indent, one the small indent (Black one) Two of them have caps with the little dip stick. The Bluish one in the center has a plate on it that says "remanufactured to Chrysler Specification, Edelmann Industries, California, Denver" Are any of these correct? All of them are firm, rotate freely and have no slop in the pulley. I was going to freshen one or two of them up, rather do that to the right one, yes? I imagine all of them are non originals, but would welcome opinions!
Power Steering Pumps.JPG #2.JPG
Power Steering Pumps.JPG #2.JPG
Power Steering Pumps.JPG
Power Steering Pumps.JPG

Without looking at any reference material I’m going out on a limb with 2 Federals and a TRW.

Key is backs and pulleys and necks.

I of course am probably misremembering.

ps-pumps-compared-jpg.jpg

Now, as to which came out of your car, I can't tell you that... Just giving another clue.

Fun stuff, power steering pumps. the TRW pump came on the earlier cars and I believe was phased out in 68-69 time frame for the federal pump. Typically, I would say the TRW would be correct for a 67 440 engine. However. On the TRW pump I believe the pulley offset was different depending if you had A/C or not. Also, the water pump housing casting numbers changed around 69-70 which would affect the brackets that are needed.

I am not to sure if "correct" is your goal. But I would ensure the one you choice does bolt up to your engine and the pulley does align with the crank since brackets and pulleys were different between big and small block and pulleys were different for a/c and non a/c cars (trw pump).

All of this may seem over whelming, but if you head over to mymopar.com they have a great reference section that has the parts book for free download. With those parts books you can look up the numbers that are stamped on your pulley and brackets to ensure you have the "correct" ones for your car.

good luck

Going through a ton of totes and patching together all the components needed for my engine compartment. Having accumulated many different parts over 20 plus years and having a rather weak system of identifying what came from where, I was surprised to find that I have 3 power steering pumps and have no idea which one came out of the car 17 years ago. My 60+ year old memory can be faulty at times! Chrysler 300 1967 440 TNT. Two of these have the large indent, one the small indent (Black one) Two of them have caps with the little dip stick. The Bluish one in the center has a plate on it that says "remanufactured to Chrysler Specification, Edelmann Industries, California, Denver" Are any of these correct? All of them are firm, rotate freely and have no slop in the pulley. I was going to freshen one or two of them up, rather do that to the right one, yes? I imagine all of them are non originals, but would welcome opinions!

The '67 pump is going to be one with the solid pulley and that goofy hinged bracket. I'm going to guess the middle one, the other seems to have the '68 bracket. The larger open pulley pump looks like '69 to me.

Left to right. TRW, TRW. 66-68. Federal 1969-72. The way I remember TRW is a short word, has the longest indent in the rear. Federal is a long word has short indent. Kim

Thanks everyone for chiming in on this. Two TRW's on the left and one Federal on the right with the wagon wheel. I guess what threw me off is that the Federal looks like something you would find on an early 60's car and the TRW looks more modern with the solid pulley. I have taken both TRW's in for refreshing, (an extra one of everything does not hurt, my mantra). I had a 68 or 69 New Yorker parts car a couple of decades ago, the federal probably came from that. CG

Back