Illinois River Run on May 2, 2021 (rainy-day date: May 16)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Weather permitting, on May 2, @71Polara383, @sixpkrt, @BLIMP and I will take some of our C-bodies for a 3-hour drive (give or take 15 minutes) from Starved Rock State Park in Peru, IL to Peoria, IL and back. We will drive mostly a scenic loop on state routes 26 and 29, along the Illinois River.

In order to keep this event sufficiently spaced, time-wise, from Tim's 5th C-body Midwest Show in June, our plan is for this cruise to be held on the first weekend of May before Mother's Day (precisely, on May 2), with a rainy day backup date for the weekend after Mother's Day (on May 16).

We'll meet at 11AM that Sunday on the parking lot of the SRSP Visitor Center in Oglesby (just east of Peru, IL). From there, we'll take first IL-71 west and then IL-26 south to drive down to the Burger Barge in East Peoria for a bite near the river around 1PM. That restaurant has parking and outside seating (my preference in general but especially important due to Covid), is well rated, and seems to be reasonably priced. An alternative would be one of the two eateries at the Peoria Station, but they are more expensive and for this reason were not my first choice.

After lunch, we'll cross the river and drive our cars back north, using IL-29 to return for an afternoon drink in Peru at the Riverfront Bar and Grill. Here is the map of the planned route (2.45 hours driving + individual time for each person to get to the starting point at the Starved Rock Park):
upload_2021-1-25_22-40-38-png.433958

Before heading north, assuming the drivers all have the time and desire for it, I'd like to make a detour to the Wildlife Prairie Park in Hanna City, ten miles west of Peoria, in order to see the famous prairie in May. That detour should take an extra 45' or so (in total, including driving and sightseeing -- very good for digesting burgers :)). Here is the longer-road map:
upload_2021-1-25_22-45-3-png.433960

Regardless of whether we go to the WPP, soon after we get onto IL-29, we should take a small detour through Grand View Drive in Peoria. It is 1.25 miles each way and said to be really beautiful.
Grand View Drive detour.png

There is no through-way back from the GVD to IL-29, so we'll turn around at the GVD Lookout and then head back toward Peru.
Grand View Drive detour closeup.png

What say you, FCBO members? I am thinking of Illinois residents, but am of course not limiting myself and hope that otherswill join from neighboring states -- hint hint, @david hill @70 Sport Suburban @Don Stolfi @traintech55 -- or even from further afar, like @LocuMob.

PS: folks who cannot make it to the whole event can join at the planned stops in Oglesby (around 11AM), Peoria (around 1PM), and Peru (around 3:15PM). That approach worked well at the 2019 and 2020 CATL Drives, allowing more members to participate.

@Xenon @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @tallhair @swartzed @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats
@Georges77 @SGVert @Sport Fury 67 @Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @Asleep at the Meal @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @furyusvip @Grizzly's Garage @B to C @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @70 Droptop @Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm @plum360415 (apologies to the Illinois members whom I am forgetting, and to folks from neighboring states and further away whom I am not listing but who I hope will make it too).

Last edited:
Heyy now.. !!! I resemble that remark... !!!!!
That’s his point :D

Now if you were to resent his remark, that’d be another matter :eek:

I know, I know,... and I trust you’re in regardless :steering:

Last edited:
I hope to get mine finished by then. If so I'm in, and it's my birthday.
Would love for you and your '68 Fury to join the run. If memory serves you're in Wisconsin, let @71Polara383 know if you plan to drive to/from Peru through Rockford, IL.

PS: You mentioned your other half in the thread about your restoration, the above posts by @BLIMP and (possibly?) @furious70 indicate that she wouldn't be the only spouse joining the run. The more, the merrier!

So you like to punish your wife? Wait, that's xenon's job from what I've seen...

She knows how to put @Xenon in his place...regardless, we actually enjoy spending time together with our friends. I'm not the type that can't wait to get away from my spouse, and she loves the car hobby
20180903_101550.jpg

Last edited:
She knows how to put @Xenon in his place...regardless, we actually enjoy spending time together with our friends. I'm not the type that can't wait to get away from my spouse, and she loves the car hobby

Annnddd,, she is a lot of fun to be around.....
So is her husband,, I forgot his name tho....
:lol:

Would love for you and your '68 Fury to join the run. If memory serves you're in Wisconsin, let @71Polara383 know if you plan to drive to/from Peru through Rockford, IL.

PS: You mentioned your other half in the thread about your restoration, the above posts by @BLIMP and (possibly?) @furious70 indicate that she wouldn't be the only spouse joining the run. The more, the merrier!
Will do. My wife will be along as well.

Weather permitting, on May 2, @71Polara383, @sixpkrt, @BLIMP and I will take some of our C-bodies for a 3-hour drive (give or take 15 minutes) from Starved Rock State Park in Peru, IL to Peoria, IL and back. We will drive mostly a scenic loop on state routes 26 and 29, along the Illinois River.

In order to keep this event sufficiently spaced, time-wise, from Tim's 5th C-body Midwest Show in June, our plan is for this cruise to be held on the first weekend of May before Mother's Day (precisely, on May 2), with a rainy day backup date for the weekend after Mother's Day (on May 16).

We'll meet at 11AM that Sunday on the parking lot of the SRSP Visitor Center in Oglesby (just east of Peru, IL). From there, we'll take first IL-71 west and then IL-26 south to drive down to the Burger Barge in East Peoria for a bite near the river around 1PM. That restaurant has parking and outside seating (my preference in general but especially important due to Covid), is well rated, and seems to be reasonably priced. An alternative would be one of the two eateries at the Peoria Station, but they are more expensive and for this reason were not my first choice.

After lunch, we'll cross the river and drive our cars back north, using IL-29 to return for an afternoon drink in Peru at the Riverfront Bar and Grill. Here is the map of the planned route (2.45 hours driving + individual time for each person to get to the starting point at the Starved Rock Park):
upload_2021-1-25_22-40-38-png.433958

Before heading north, assuming the drivers all have the time and desire for it, I'd like to make a detour to the Wildlife Prairie Park in Hanna City, ten miles west of Peoria, in order to see the famous prairie in May. That detour should take an extra 45' or so (in total, including driving and sightseeing -- very good for digesting burgers :)). Here is the longer-road map:
upload_2021-1-25_22-45-3-png.433960

Regardless of whether we go to the WPP, soon after we get onto IL-29, we should take a small detour through Grand View Drive in Peoria. It is 1.25 miles each way and said to be really beautiful.
View attachment 434096

There is no through-way back from the GVD to IL-29, so we'll turn around at the GVD Lookout and then head back toward Peru.
View attachment 434097

What say you, FCBO members? I am thinking of Illinois residents, but am of course not limiting myself and hope that otherswill join from neighboring states -- hint hint, @david hill @70 Sport Suburban @Don Stolfi @traintech55 -- or even from further afar, like @LocuMob.

PS: folks who cannot make it to the whole event can join at the planned stops in Oglesby (around 11AM), Peoria (around 1PM), and Peru (around 3:15PM). That approach worked well at the 2019 and 2020 CATL Drives, allowing more members to participate.

@Xenon @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @tallhair @swartzed @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats
@Georges77 @SGVert @Sport Fury 67 @Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @Asleep at the Meal @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @furyusvip @Grizzly's Garage @B to C @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @70 Droptop @Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm @plum360415 (apologies to the Illinois members whom I am forgetting, and to folks from neighboring states and further away whom I am not listing but who I hope will make it too).

Thanks for tagging me @ayilar

I will definitely look into this.

Well folks, the weather should be sunny on May 2: highs of 75F in Peru and 91F (?) in Peoria. We’re on for May 2!

It’d be great to get a head count, in case I need to give a heads up to the restaurants. So far we likely will have at least eight cars — paging:

@71Polara383 @sixpkrt @70 Sport Suburban @Xenon @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @tallhair @swartzed @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats
@Georges77 @SGVert @Sport Fury 67
@Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @Asleep at the Meal @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @furyusvip @Grizzly's Garage @B to C @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @70 Droptop
@Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm
@plum360415 @Casey @blue88 @Georges77 @traintech55 @haywire 440 [USER=2826]@chilsam @Stanj @JPMODL
@Cags70PolaraConvert @1978 NYB
(and anyone else who is interested and can make it).[/USER]

Last edited:
No go for me, we decided it was safe to do spring flag football and I'm coaching my boys' team on Sundays.

April mentioned that it might be a good idea to find another meeting point as opposed to the Starved Rock visitors center. On weekends it's jam packed loaded with thousand of visitors coming down from Chicago. Here is a pic from along 178 near the park...just something to consider.
Fxgjhdhj.jpg

It doesn't surprise me of all the Chicagoan's leaving the city for a safer venue get-away than staying in the city.
But, if we'd have to walk to the visitor center from where those cars are parked, I'd suggest another meeting place too. Maybe there's a FCBO member in the area that can suggest an alternative.
With my dad's recent passing, I can't commit 100% to being able to joining everyone for the cruise this year, but I'm not taking it off my calendar yet.

Back