I'm beginning to really hate winter.

A lil cheaper but the neighbor is an *******.

2617b3f3615d2917af748c7e5f2d7982c5326b1b-14.jpg

Stop it. Right now. You are too old for this ****. You're gonna break a hip ending up in a nursing home in a wheelchair lined up all day in the rec room.
Come on down!

View attachment 516651

:welcome:
View attachment 516659
Seriously, that looks like the place around the corner from me. Not quite as much landscaping but still pretty nice. Sad story, the original place burnt to the waterline one day. They rebuilt it, bigger and better and it looked like that. The folks that owned it got sick and never moved in and the place set empty for a few years until they passed. Some guys in the northeast will recognize the "Fays Drugstore" chain. The owner of the chain lived there.

Someone bought it and it looks great.

But at $3.5million, that's a bit rich for my blood and Mrs. Big John would say it's too much to keep clean.

A lil cheaper but the neighbor is an *******.

View attachment 516662

I had an ******* neighbor for years. He died and I'm still here... So I win.

Seriously, I've thought about moving south. My family is here though and I like 3 out of the 4 seasons. I've even thought about snowbirding, but that sounds like a PITA.

We have been getting a couple weeks down south each year, but we really haven't been able to do this the past couple years.

:rofl:

I looked like that just the other day getting up from unplugging a fan from a outlet under a table.
LAFF, no snow needed or down here in Floriduh.

Why the slippy slippy John, you run out of salted sand already?
There should be a residual dose of that already on the driveway right?

I'm not as old as you guys, but I am done with winter. My new goal for next year is to take January and February off. I'm tired of missing 4 wheelers and trudging though the snow.

:rofl:

I looked like that just the other day getting up from unplugging a fan from a outlet under a table.
LAFF, no snow needed or down here in Floriduh.

Why the slippy slippy John, you run out of salted sand already?
There should be a residual dose of that already on the driveway right?

I had no idea that was ice under there. What had happened was we had some rain and the driveway didn't drain right. It was all under the truck, which really doesn't get driven much. When they put the new driveway in, they changed the pitch from one side to the other, which is good, but once in a while it backs up there.

If I had seen it, I would have tossed some rock salt out on it... As it was, I just backed the truck back over it when I was done. I was tired of playing in the snow by then. Getting up... Yea, the old bones don't jump up anymore....

The first 10' of the driveway does melt from the salt on the road, but that's it. Nothing drips off the car because it usually doesn't get warm enough to melt.

Now, the best part of this all is that it's 50 degrees today and all the snow has melted. You can see where it's not draining. That puddle was larger. I had a guy that was supposed to put in a french drain, but he never came around.

2-22-22.jpg

I had no idea that was ice under there. What had happened was we had some rain and the driveway didn't drain right. It was all under the truck, which really doesn't get driven much. When they put the new driveway in, they changed the pitch from one side to the other, which is good, but once in a while it backs up there.

If I had seen it, I would have tossed some rock salt out on it... As it was, I just backed the truck back over it when I was done. I was tired of playing in the snow by then. Getting up... Yea, the old bones don't jump up anymore....

The first 10' of the driveway does melt from the salt on the road, but that's it. Nothing drips off the car because it usually doesn't get warm enough to melt.

Now, the best part of this all is that it's 50 degrees today and all the snow has melted. You can see where it's not draining. That puddle was larger. I had a guy that was supposed to put in a french drain, but he never came around.

View attachment 516670
Yea one thing that is important about buying a house up north is to get one that is facing south or west. At my parents house that was facing south the driveway was pretty much bare and dry after the first sunny day while the house across the street would still have ice and snow covering it. But in their elderly days I'd come by to clear the snow and would take a homemade scoop made out of a old gallon windshield washer fluid jug and just sprinkle the free sand & salt mix that the town provided at the local dump. It was pretty good amount of salt in it and the sand would stay for grip unless they got a good rain. My dad broke his leg a few years before his retirement slipping on ice, I wasn't around much (think I was on the Fla/Cali sojourn) but I can remember in a phone call that my mother had to do the driving to get him to work.
So I made sure there was plenty of sand mix in the bucket by the kitchen/driveway door.
My grandmothers house was the same way but faced west and got a full amount of afternoon sun while the place across the street with shade from the tall trees would have a ice covered driveway.

Stay safe, spring will be here soon!

Yea one thing that is important about buying a house up north is to get one that is facing south or west. At my parents house that was facing south the driveway was pretty much bare and dry after the first sunny day while the house across the street would still have ice and snow covering it. But in their elderly days I'd come by to clear the snow and would take a homemade scoop made out of a old gallon windshield washer fluid jug and just sprinkle the free sand & salt mix that the town provided at the local dump. It was pretty good amount of salt in it and the sand would stay for grip unless they got a good rain. My dad broke his leg a few years before his retirement slipping on ice, I wasn't around much (think I was on the Fla/Cali sojourn) but I can remember in a phone call that my mother had to do the driving to get him to work.
So I made sure there was plenty of sand mix in the bucket by the kitchen/driveway door.
My grandmothers house was the same way but faced west and got a full amount of afternoon sun while the place across the street with shade from the tall trees would have a ice covered driveway.

Stay safe, spring will be here soon!

The driveway at my place is 0.2 miles long.
It does run north / south, but it doesn’t matter as it’s gravel.

This has been a nice sight to see for the past week and a half!! NOBODY is forcing you to live in the cold except YOU!!!!!!

P1010709.JPG

You know, John, they say if you fall and people laugh, you're young. If you fall and you get a chorus of people worrying about you, you're damned old. Welcome to the ranks of old!

Last edited:
The driveway at my place is 0.2 miles long.
It does run north / south, but it doesn’t matter as it’s gravel.
Well I hope you live in a rural area with your gravel driveway and not some part of trendy suburbia where decades ago someone had a peastone with cobblestone borders driveway installed on their McMansion makeover and after a couple of snow season he couldn't get anyone to plow the driveway due too stones ending up on the lawn and the border stones getting dislodged. He had to resort to snow blowing it himself and we all know how well that works with stones. Eventually the place change hands and the new owner had the driveway paved, take that trendy house makeover designer. LAFF.

Same goes for 'Pavers', recently I came across someone up in snow country on the net that was so proud of his paver driveway that he installed himself for his posh palace, even posted a video of it on the Tube, looked to be longer than your driveway, even had trucks to plow it himself as his career involved the construction industry. Welp all I can say is good luck as many moons ago in the town I lived in we had some bright bulb newcomer get on the town council that thought we needed these new to the market pavers in our downtown shopping district. Well well well, just after the second snow season many of the pavers had got dislodged/damaged by the sidewalk plow and by the third season the sidewalk had to be tore up and replaced with the long lasting bland concrete of old.

Another latest example of boondoggle waste of taxpayer money was the 12 Million dollar pork belly beatification of Daytona where they installed red house bricks (aged) for our sidewalks in the upcoming trendy'ness of the downtown historical district where I lived to replace the bland concrete sidewalks that were installed in 1938 (via a embossed stamp in the concrete from the proud company that built the sidewalks).
My thought at the time when it was all completed was I wonder how many months will pass before they start tearing it all up to repair some underground utilities. Well I didn't keep track until Worldcom came to town to install the 'Fiber Loop' where they dug up the sidewalk to punch through many multicolored PVC tubes for new high speed internet service. I laughed as this was when Worldcom was going belly up and in one walk to Walgreens I passed the dudes working on one of the many holes along US1 and I asked them if they were worried about if they were going to get paid. ha ha ha. What we were left with is a sidewalk with very large mismatched new brick patch areas, I don't know where the aged bricks they pulled up went, did they pile them by the side and someone stole them? Took them back to the yard and were mistakenly thrown out or stolen? For many years I use to get a big grin on my face when I'd see the plastic access box lids still bearing the Worldcom logo when I'd walk down to the Post Office 4 blocks away, I don't know if they ever used the cable runs/tubes, I never noticed anyone doing a install, RoadRunner/Brighthouse/Spectrum run their own lines.

Stupid is as stupid does!

You know, John, they say if you fall and people laugh, you're young. If you fall any you get a chorus of people worrying about you, you're damned old. Welcome to the ranks of old!
I realized I had joined the ranks when there was more than one doctor I saw on a regular basis.

Well I hope you live in a rural area with your gravel driveway and not some part of trendy suburbia where decades ago someone had a peastone with cobblestone borders driveway installed on their McMansion makeover and after a couple of snow season he couldn't get anyone to plow the driveway due too stones ending up on the lawn and the border stones getting dislodged. He had to resort to snow blowing it himself and we all know how well that works with stones. Eventually the place change hands and the new owner had the driveway paved, take that trendy house makeover designer. LAFF.

Same goes for 'Pavers', recently I came across someone up in snow country on the net that was so proud of his paver driveway that he installed himself for his posh palace, even posted a video of it on the Tube, looked to be longer than your driveway, even had trucks to plow it himself as his career involved the construction industry. Welp all I can say is good luck as many moons ago in the town I lived in we had some bright bulb newcomer get on the town council that thought we needed these new to the market pavers in our downtown shopping district. Well well well, just after the second snow season many of the pavers had got dislodged/damaged by the sidewalk plow and by the third season the sidewalk had to be tore up and replaced with the long lasting bland concrete of old.

Another latest example of boondoggle waste of taxpayer money was the 12 Million dollar pork belly beatification of Daytona where they installed red house bricks (aged) for our sidewalks in the upcoming trendy'ness of the downtown historical district where I lived to replace the bland concrete sidewalks that were installed in 1938 (via a embossed stamp in the concrete from the proud company that built the sidewalks).
My thought at the time when it was all completed was I wonder how many months will pass before they start tearing it all up to repair some underground utilities. Well I didn't keep track until Worldcom came to town to install the 'Fiber Loop' where they dug up the sidewalk to punch through many multicolored PVC tubes for new high speed internet service. I laughed as this was when Worldcom was going belly up and in one walk to Walgreens I passed the dudes working on one of the many holes along US1 and I asked them if they were worried about if they were going to get paid. ha ha ha. What we were left with is a sidewalk with very large mismatched new brick patch areas, I don't know where the aged bricks they pulled up went, did they pile them by the side and someone stole them? Took them back to the yard and were mistakenly thrown out or stolen? For many years I use to get a big grin on my face when I'd see the plastic access box lids still bearing the Worldcom logo when I'd walk down to the Post Office 4 blocks away, I don't know if they ever used the cable runs/tubes, I never noticed anyone doing a install, RoadRunner/Brighthouse/Spectrum run their own lines.

Stupid is as stupid does!

Very rural area. Corn / soybean fields and pastures on all 4 sides. Walk in pheasant hunting areas nearby.
Nearest town (~2k people) is about 5 miles away.

Back