Info please.....

Vincent R Vance

Reaction score
My friend just bought a 1960 savoy with a slant 6. My question is what has to be done to install a 440, is it as simple as motor mounts or k member swap.. Thanks for your input.

I think slant six's are cool as hell. But since all the real knowledgeable guys are not responding I will try in my noob way. Motor mounts aftermarket maybe will work to modify it. You will need a different tranny with the correct bell housing size. Maybe a modified drive shaft ,,shorter or longer.
Then all the other stuff ,carb linkages ,radiator to keep the 440 cool ,,,hell I don't even know if the big block is in if you have room for power brakes. Actually I am doing you a favor because I am sure much of what I said could be wrong and now the guys that know will chime in!!!:D
Ask your friend what the hell is wrong with a slant six? Is this a drag car? I hope the guru's will enlighten you,,,,,,,,,,now lol.

The 440 weighs a lot more than the slant six. The car will need stiffer (thicker) torsion bars to be safe to drive. I'd upgrade the brakes, too.

There is a man here in Tucson named "Jeff" (surname withheld for his privacy) who has made a science of installing 440s into A body Mopars. He's a VERY knowledgeable man on All Things 440 among MANY other subjects, a MENSA and a solid character. He would be the Eminence Gris to consult about your upgrade. I pray his health is good, but don't know if he is on this forum. If anyone reading this knows this man, it would be good to contact him regarding this issue.

Back