Inherited a 66 polara wagon

Drilled cranks can be hit of miss, you won't know until you get the auto out of the way. All the Z-bars, A/B/C/E-body thread into the bell housing so any bell housing you get should be good to go, and if it didn't come as a factory 4 speed then you will have to weld, or fabricate the frame rail side Z-bar pivot bracket.

If your crankshaft is not drilled for a pilot bushing, you can use a pilot bearing from a magnum series engine. These bearings simply tap in to the end of the crank where the converter hub would fit for an automatic. If the crank is not drilled deep enough for the pilot shaft, the shaft can be shortened. Simple and (INMHO) superior to the bushings. Lindsay

What he said^^^^^^^
Just make sure to anti-seize the register when you put the bearing in so you can get it out of need be. The magnum bearing for any 90s full size dodge truck will work.

Drilled cranks can be hit of miss, you won't know until you get the auto out of the way. All the Z-bars, A/B/C/E-body thread into the bell housing so any bell housing you get should be good to go, and if it didn't come as a factory 4 speed then you will have to weld, or fabricate the frame rail side Z-bar pivot bracket.
Okay cool, then I’m most of the way there. The 4 speed came with a crossmember, and I just realized when I was moving the 4 speed to the place where the cars stored that it has a pivot ball.
I’ll try to find pictures of what the other side of the Z bar mounting looks like so I know what I’ll need to fab up.

Thats
If your crankshaft is not drilled for a pilot bushing, you can use a pilot bearing from a magnum series engine. These bearings simply tap in to the end of the crank where the converter hub would fit for an automatic. If the crank is not drilled deep enough for the pilot shaft, the shaft can be shortened. Simple and (INMHO) superior to the bushings. Lindsay
That’s awesome, great to know!
I’m starting to appreciate mopars more and more.

Here’s a few more pics.
I picked up some B body long tubes for 40 bucks and dropped those off along with the pedals and a833.

one other question, is this the correct shape/style for a C body Z bar?

For Sale - Rare C-body z-bar and clutch pedal rod
I know I’m too late to buy this one, but at least if I know what it looks like I can possibly find another.

I also need to figure out how to get the rear hatch open, someone looked to have smashed a key into it and I’m not sure how it’s supposed to open.
I’ll post it also in the wagon section.

E453289B-65A2-4BAA-B3C7-5DC519E8C623.jpeg

2D77EF52-172E-45BF-9462-B5B122BE0A17.jpeg

C7FA52FF-BB58-41D6-9F92-995F80FB238B.jpeg

81783F46-44B8-4F6A-AB34-9677F4BD34AF.jpeg

You have to get the glass down to be able to open the tailgate, and you have to hope the power rear glass motor is working.

If the key is just broken off in the lock you might be able to use a screw driver to turn it and get the power rear glass to come down...if it was the proper key. If not then you will have to hope you have a power rear window switch on the dash and that once you have a battery in the wagon that it works and the glass comes down. If this doesn't work then you will have to climb into the cargo area and try and get the interior panel off the tail gate and then get power directly to the motor and get the glass down.

You have to get the glass down to be able to open the tailgate, and you have to hope the power rear glass motor is working.

If the key is just broken off in the lock you might be able to use a screw driver to turn it and get the power rear glass to come down...if it was the proper key. If not then you will have to hope you have a power rear window switch on the dash and that once you have a battery in the wagon that it works and the glass comes down. If this doesn't work then you will have to climb into the cargo area and try and get the interior panel off the tail gate and then get power directly to the motor and get the glass down.
Damn, I didn’t expect it to be that fancy!
I’ll give it a shot.
Is there any way to get the hatch open once the glass is down if the key hole is jacked up?

I am quite certain I have several spare 65 z bars (I think they are the same as 66 but would need to check) if you need one. Pretty sure I have the handle you want but it is only for sale with a complete 65 4 speed setup.

And was the car a manual originally? If not, you probably don't have the z bar bracket that is on the frame rail. Assuming its the same as a 65, its welded on. I believe I can help you with that also if you needed one but I would have to check for sure. The 65 subframe I am about to scrap may have one on it.

I am quite certain I have several spare 65 z bars (I think they are the same as 66 but would need to check) if you need one. Pretty sure I have the handle you want but it is only for sale with a complete 65 4 speed setup.
A z bar and bracket would both be helpful, any position measurements/pictures of the bracket would also be helpful.

The 4 speed setup I would appreciate pictures of too from the perspective of the shifter and mounting etc so I can seek the rest of the parts I’m missing.

Damn, I didn’t expect it to be that fancy!
I’ll give it a shot.
Is there any way to get the hatch open once the glass is down if the key hole is jacked up?

The key is only used to lower the rear glass, it has nothing to do iwth opening/closing the tailgate. There is a latch on the top of the tailgate in the center that you use to relaease the latches on the tailgate. You can't bring the tailgate down until the glass is inside the tailgate.

The key is only used to lower the rear glass, it has nothing to do iwth opening/closing the tailgate. There is a latch on the top of the tailgate in the center that you use to relaease the latches on the tailgate. You can't bring the tailgate down until the glass is inside the tailgate.
Yeah, I got that part but I assumed that you had to turn the key to unlock the rear gate too, or that was an opening mechanism. The key hole is in a piece of trim but it wasn’t obvious how that moved or opened the gate.

Didn’t think of that, is there an off the shelf option for that that works?
No, there isn't. A member here is trying to get some produced, but he keeps getting his order pushed back. A donor car is the only option we currently have.

No, there isn't. A member here is trying to get some produced, but he keeps getting his order pushed back. A donor car is the only option we currently have.
Shoot, I wasn’t sure if a B body was close and they made the sheet metal for that.
They do for my firebird, maybe I’ll try something like that.

Back