WANTED installer for '63 Chrysler 300 windshield in San Jose, CA area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereolab42

Reaction score
Contact seller
(Hopefully a wanted ad for a service instead of a physical good isn't against the rules here.)

So... I have FINALLY acquired a great quality used windshield gasket for my '63 Chrysler 300 convertible thanks to a forum member. I have the replacement windshield as well. But finding an installer is proving impossible... everybody is retired, down with COVID, or in the case of the only willing taker I've found so far -- months out and "I'll call you, don't call me". Anyone within driving distance of San Jose CA area want to take a shot? I know nothing about such installations but I guess two people might be needed due to size/weight of the windshield. (I could certainly be the second person if skill/knowledge is NOT required to lift and place the thing.) I'll pay $400 for a good-faith unsuccessful attempt (e.g. you know what you're doing but something is wrong with the car or the parts that is only clear in-person with the trim off... but please conclude this BEFORE you remove the car's existing windshield, which is scratched but otherwise is intact) and $1000 for a successful install. If it takes much longer than expected due to snags we can talk about even more. Happy to take pictures of the car and the parts for anyone who wants to evaluate the situation further.

Atlas Auto Glass in San Mateo is a good shop. I'm not sure if they go mobile or not though.

Also, after removal of the existing glass and rubber, you might need to clean up, remove rust, and paint the area before installing new glass.

Atlas Auto Glass in San Mateo is a good shop. I'm not sure if they go mobile or not though.

Also, after removal of the existing glass and rubber, you might need to clean up, remove rust, and paint the area before installing new glass.
The car was restored about 12 years ago so I hope that isn't an issue. I assume the reason they didn't replace the windshield was that replacements simply weren't available then. The reason definitely wasn't cost since they spent a fortune redoing chrome and paint and interior. (But they massively ******-up the mechanicals which I spent another fortune fixing, but that's another story.)

Did they remove the old windshield to paint the body at least? If not, my comments still stand. Expect to do some remediation if you want it done right. I just did them same on my 71, it looked ok from the outside, but once you expose the hidden areas....

Thanks to the skills of a forum member I was finally able to get the windshield installed. As I figured there were enough tricks involved I would never have been successful on my own, and I avoided as much risk as possible to a nearly pristine car. The original gasket was theoretically reusable but it would have needed hours of cleanup, so I was glad to have the replacement on hand.

Thanks to the skills of a forum member I was finally able to get the windshield installed. As I figured there were enough tricks involved I would never have been successful on my own, and I avoided as much risk as possible to a nearly pristine car. The original gasket was theoretically reusable but it would have needed hours of cleanup, so I was glad to have the replacement on hand.
Awesome! Great news!

Did the forum member not want to be mentioned by forum name? He deserves a big thanks from all of us for stepping up to help.

Awesome! Great news!

Did the forum member not want to be mentioned by forum name? He deserves a big thanks from all of us for stepping up to help.
I wasn't sure if he wanted me to mention him publicly. I did pay for the service since he had to make a long trip, but again it was worth every penny given how much I've already put into the car.

I wasn't sure if he wanted me to mention him publicly. I did pay for the service since he had to make a long trip, but again it was worth every penny given how much I've already put into the car.
I think it's great that you paid him. Also great that you got the job done and learned in the process. Congrats!

I've paid other forum members for labor and parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back