Instrument lights not working with new switch

Cayuga Kid

Reaction score
I removed the instrument cluster on my 63 New Yorker to clean it up and replace the light switch since the dimmer was flaky. Installed the new switch, reinstalled and everything works except the dimmer!

Going through the electrical diagram, power goes to tab B1 on the switch, output to instrument lights through tab I on the switch, from there to the fuse and output from the fuse to a pigtail or splitter and feeds the instrument lights.

I checked voltage at tab B1 and I have power, with switch on no power out of tab I, just to make sure I had a good fuse and no open circuits I applied 12 volts to wire that leaves the switch to the instrument lights and they all lit up!

I bench tested the old and new switch and both do not give me an output of 12 volts.

I am thinking I must have bought a new switch that is defective but am I overlooking anything?

When I tested the dimmer or rheostat should I get 12 volts or should I be measure resistance? I did switch to ohms and got no changes in value.

Thanks in advance, I have spent so many hours on this, :mad:

IMG_2465.JPG

Terminal B2 is almost always the power in terminal for the dash light dimmer. Power out to the dash lights would be the terminal nearest the ceramic dimmer (the terminal with the brass extension). Do you have power at B2?

I am doing bench test only right now and power only to terminal H. Nothing at all from the other terminals. My wiring diagram shows B2 feeding dome, stop and tail lights. Bought another switch today and will see what happens.

Back