Insurance

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey, is it allowed to discuss insurance cos. and rates on FCBO? I know of a few in Canada, but what is really out there and who is recomended and who is not.
Good experiences and not, just want to get the best for my 67 Newport.

Thanks and have a nice day.

PT

I've been with same insurance agent since I guess 1988. At that time it was State Farm (Canada). About 5 years ago it was bought by Desjardins. I have 2 cars insured at any given time, I used to have house insured also but I dropped home insurance when Desjardins bought State Farm because the home insurance started to go up. Insurance is a racket, a crock. I should have dropped home insurance a long time ago.

When I took my '67 Monaco out of storage for the first time in 20 years a few months ago, I put insurance on it. It was actually insured way back in the 90's by the same agent, but they no longer had any records of the car in their system. So I had to give them some basic info, like the VIN and make/model. The agent asked if it was a "Brougham". I said no. Was there ever a Monaco Brougham?

I got the bare minumum insurance for it, which is basically just liability. No collision coverage. I just needed to have it on the road for maybe a month before storing it again. On an annual basis (a full year's worth of insurance) was $645. The billing is for a year, but I get a credit for what I didn't use when I took insurance off.

Would be interesting to hear from others in Ontario as to what they're paying for insurance.

I've been with same insurance agent since I guess 1988. At that time it was State Farm (Canada). About 5 years ago it was bought by Desjardins. I have 2 cars insured at any given time, I used to have house insured also but I dropped home insurance when Desjardins bought State Farm because the home insurance started to go up. Insurance is a racket, a crock. I should have dropped home insurance a long time ago.

When I took my '67 Monaco out of storage for the first time in 20 years a few months ago, I put insurance on it. It was actually insured way back in the 90's by the same agent, but they no longer had any records of the car in their system. So I had to give them some basic info, like the VIN and make/model. The agent asked if it was a "Brougham". I said no. Was there ever a Monaco Brougham?

I got the bare minumum insurance for it, which is basically just liability. No collision coverage. I just needed to have it on the road for maybe a month before storing it again. On an annual basis (a full year's worth of insurance) was $645. The billing is for a year, but I get a credit for what I didn't use when I took insurance off.

Would be interesting to hear from others in Ontario as to what they're paying for insurance.
Hagerty in Canada is out of Richmond Hill, I pay $350 bucks for the year on a 70 Polara vert in my avatar.
I recently had the appraiser over to do my 67 Newport and at the end he slipped me an insurance flyer, Zehr insurance brokers.
Now this flyer displays a section entitled "Sample Premiums"
If your vehicle value is $10,000 an Antique premium would only be $108.00, modified would be $133.00
It goes on with $10,000 dollar increments all the way up to $100,000 with an anual Antique premium of $685 and $885 for modified.
Sounds great, but I have spent a day now waiting for the "GET A FEE QUOTE an agent will contact you within 3 hours", went back and forth with the guy by email, he stated policy and stuff but failed to answer a basic question " what would the premium be for a 70 Polara convertible and a 67 Newport or just the 67 Newport alone?"
It might be just be insurance for shows and parades, I want to take mine to the Dairy Queen or whatever!
Still waiting for his reply.

Have a nice day!

I went to haggarty's website, got an on-line quote. I put the value of my Monaco at $5k, and 1000 km driving per year, the lowest catagory of driving (shows / parades). Car stored in a garage. The quote came back at $218 per year. I probably will do something like this, because obviously the main-stream insurance companies are just not set up to offer insurance products on seldom or irregulary-driven vehicles. I have an '01 Ram and several '00-'04 300M's that are likewise going to be seldom driven spring/summer/fall and I'd like to find a more financially efficient way to insure them so I have more flexibility in driving them.

I'm really not interested in collision insurance for any of my vehicles. Just the bare minimum needed by Ontario MTO to legally put it on the road. I haven't had an insurance claim in over 20 years. Not interested in playing "what's my car worth" games.

Last edited:
Is anyone here up on the rules or details on having "historic" license plates in Ontario? Given that you no longer pay to renew license plates, what exactly does having antique plates from MTO give you? The main-line big insurance companies (I understand) will give you an insurance break if you have those plates on your car, but I'm not sure if having those plates restricts you from driving to anything other than a parade or car show - and maybe the police can ticket you if they catch you driving somewhere else?

Edit: Ok, so having a historic plate is really a crock unless you have a vehicle that you really, actually, only ever drive in or to an "officially sanctioned" parade or car show. So this is not really a factor in getting a better deal on car insurance for irregular or infrequently-driven collector cars in Ontario.

Last edited:
Back