Intake choice

mrzods13

Reaction score
Well I have decided I want to get a new intake manifold rather than use the spread bore I bought off of a 75 chrysler 383. I have been looking at the Edelbrock 7186 and 2186. Also the weiand 8008. All of them say the intakes give power throughout the rpm range 1500 to 6000. I would be pairing it with an edelbrock 1805 650 cfm. Just put a comp cams 268H XE in it along with springs, lifters and double roller. 68 Chrysler Newport 383 going from 2 to 4 barrel.

75 Chrysler 383? Maybe you mean 71 or 70?... I've often thought about switching to a double roller cam...obvious improvements over the flat tappet...should of done it when I had the whole thing apart last winter....too lazy. If i get a wild hair I may do it though, lol.

Sorry it might have been a dodge the casting date was 10.13.1975. its a flat tappet cam couldn't afford the roller cam. But as far as the intake what do you think

First thing I did was look at the roller but a significant price difference but better results

Sorry it might have been a dodge the casting date was 10.13.1975. its a flat tappet cam couldn't afford the roller cam. But as far as the intake what do you think
Yeah, the roller set up is a bit more expensive since you have to switch out other parts as well. Do what you gotta do. I'm running an Ebrock performer intake for bb Chryslers ("B" engines). No regrets.

Personally, given those three choices, I would go with the Edelbrock 7186. The 2186 has the EGR ports and would need to be blocked off with your application. The Weiand 8008 doesn't look too bad but the Edelbrock looks to have straighter runners and would possibly flow better in the mid range and high end. You can't really go wrong with either. If it is a big price differene, go with the lesser of the two, they are pretty close otherwise.

Well I have decided I want to get a new intake manifold rather than use the spread bore I bought off of a 75 chrysler 383. I have been looking at the Edelbrock 7186 and 2186. Also the weiand 8008. All of them say the intakes give power throughout the rpm range 1500 to 6000. I would be pairing it with an edelbrock 1805 650 cfm. Just put a comp cams 268H XE in it along with springs, lifters and double roller. 68 Chrysler Newport 383 going from 2 to 4 barrel.

I would go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM

Several tests have shown that stock Chrysler intakes flow quite well (much to the surprise of testers). So, unless you're building a very stout engine..save your $$ and use what you have.

Several tests have show there are differences. If you want some additional perf and are going to improve other aspects of an B / RB and run an original intake it would be best to use a 70-72 not a 75. However you can find used perf intakes easily on CL, Ebay, FBBO, etc. So no need use a heavy cast iron one or pay a ton for them or even aluminum intakes.

Here's some reading

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...nifold_engine_and_rpm_range_test/viewall.html

Part one:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...o/viewall.html

Part two:http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...s/viewall.html

tallhair has some good articles there, when you pick a intake don't look at peak hp look at no's where your engine will spend most of the time

Back