Interesting Comments

Ram Fury

Reaction score
Lads --
A couple of weekends ago, I took the Big-Tailed Beast (my SonoRamic Commando equipped '60 Fury) to a car show at Pikes Peak International Raceway. It was quite an affair and I understand they had over a thousand cars there. Surprisingly, there were as many resto-mods as there were pure hot rods, though triple-nickle Chevies predominated. The Beast didn't win anything, as expected, but it sure attracted attention -- one '57 Belaire even moved from next to us because the owner thought he was being neglected.
I did take it on the 1/8 mile strip but I really have no idea how I did. I'm a product of the old days with the flagman and I just can't cope with those lights. Also, in my day, we had timing slips and I completely forgot to look at the results posted on the lights. Don't get old.
There were a couple of interesting comments, though:
"Sir, is that an early version of the deactivization principle where only half of the cylinders fire to operate more economically?" "Nope. She's running on the primary two-barrels of EACH carb all the time until I put my foot into it so I can watch the fuel level go down as the MPH goes up."
"Oh, a Slant-6. Does it have an aluminum block?" "No, it's actually two cast iron slant-4's coupled together much the same as Chrysler did on their 5-bank (five 251 CID straight sixes arranged around a single shaft) engine on the M4A4 Sherman tank in WWII."
People are interesting.
Joe Godec

Youth and or un-inlightened...lol ! Isn't it great to be a redhead in a sea of blonds and brunettes.......and of course, I mean that MoPars stand out in the crowd.....
Do you have any pictures of your Fury to share with us?

I enjoyed your post!
It is amazing the questions and comments that come out of nowhere. It is kinda fun to educate them a little though. I know the feeling and have been there myself. I've had people walk right past a row of tri-five Chevies to look at my 60 Dart Phoenix. It has been accused of being about everything out there. One guy asked "what year Pontiac is that?" Another said, "Wow, look at the fins on that Cadillac!" Another asked, "Is that a new car? I've never seen one before." While the best one was a guy that said. "I wonder why Pontiac let Dodge use the Phoenix name?" I replied, I think it would be the other way around since this is a 1960 model. Pontiac didn't use it til the 80's. If you own a Chevy, you never get to have those kinds of conversations. Ain't it fun??

Having a history of owning and showing unique vehicles I have heard my share of misinformed questions. I welcomed them and appreciated the questions so that I could respond with the mini history of the vehicle. My small way of sending the correct info out to other misinformed young enthusiasts.

check-engine.jpg

My 66 Ford Galaxie attracts a lot of attention...

According to a few visiting the cruise nights think this is a 66 Ford Galaxie...:p
P1840616_17_18_19_20_CR04.jpg

while showing Jezebelle I've heard, "I didn't know they made Chrysler 300's back then".
Once while showing my 65 Coronet 500 convertible. I saw a fellow bend over, read the fender emblem, then say "I never heard of a Corvette 500". I decided not to talk to him.

Why don't you just post that full album of stylized pictures already? :poke::poke::poke:

I get Ford the most, Thunderbird if they can think of a model.

I actually had a budding photographer a few years ago offer for a full photo shoot in the early summer of 2016.
He did over 100 shots at no charge and HDR'd a bunch of them he thought would look good.

I in turn gave him full rights to use the photos for his portfolio

I vaguely remember some green 4dr. Dart sedan survivor with the Long ram two carb setup featured in an older mag that left some Impression. Couldn*t find anything on this very car in the net.

Old Man --
That may have been a California car. I know a gentleman there that picked up a '61 Phoenix 4-dr sedan with a ram D-500, though I don't know its color. I don't know how many '60-'61 Dart, '60-'61 Dodges, or '61 Plymouths were produced with ram-inducted engines, but there were 1577 '60s. These came in all models, Savoys, Belvederes, and Furys and in all body styles, 2-dr posts, 4-dr sedans, 4-dr H/Ts, 4-dr station wagons, 2-dr station wagons, 2-dr H/Ts, and convertibles.
Joe

Back