Introduction Thread

Nate Dynamite

Reaction score
Kind greetings fellow Mopar, c-body, and classic car fans,

I’d like to introduce myself. I’m Nate Dynamite, a proud owner of a 1966 Plymouth Fury III. Her name is Snow White. I enjoy classic cars, and I’m very glad to own one, even if she is work. She’s been sitting for about 21 years or so, and for the last four years has been a project I have taken the time to drive up to Nevada and work on. She’s like Christine in terms of having a bit of an attitude. I obtained her from my farther the day I got my driver’s license, feels like yesterday for being far over a year or so ago.

I’ve looked over this site a few times; especially over one thread covering 65 Fury disc brake conversion advice started by 65FuryPaceCar. This site really is a help, I’ve been looking over threads and what not that cover parts, and it really is nice to see people who can help out. The thread I mentioned has been help to give me an idea of what I can do to convert my own car, as getting the drum parts in the right size is practically impossible, not to mention trying to find rear brake drums.

Well enough about myself, I want to show you Snow White:
8F968728-FCE1-4DEC-BB86-BF282E3A70D7.jpeg
6363D4A8-ACFF-4E19-9230-FC437641FF3C.jpeg
FD03C194-9532-4FA9-B9EB-A0F8D3762AEC.jpeg
3BFD8DFA-50B0-490B-8366-EF4FEBA127B4.jpeg
7429E8B4-1D14-446C-9D9E-1C2CEC3BAC60.jpeg

Hi Nate,
Welcome from Virginia!
I didn't think sourcing rear brake drums would be a problem. Can the drums be turned at a local shop?
I like front disc rear/drum. Use that system on my C-bodies.
I hope dual reservoir master cylinder is also part of your plans for Snow White
member Craig @mobileparts can often help with quality brake parts.
This is another reputable source.
Midwest Power Products, Morris, IL
I've also used and like
Master Power Brakes
Good luck!! Ben

Hi Nate,
Welcome from Virginia!
I didn't think sourcing rear brake drums would be a problem. Can the drums be turned at a local shop?
I like front disc rear/drum. Use that system on my C-bodies.
I hope dual reservoir master cylinder is also part of your plans for Snow White
member Craig @mobileparts can often help with quality brake parts.
This is another reputable source.
Midwest Power Products, Morris, IL
I've also used and like
Master Power Brakes
Good luck!! Ben
Hi Ben,

I appreciate your support and the links you have sent me. I didn’t think it would be so difficult to find drum brake parts myself, though the truth has been that I have hardly been able to find drums or shoes, with the only easy to get thing being the hardware. I have thought about having the drums turned and resurfaced, but I couldn’t find a shop that would do it.

I have tried a few different shops, but have come up empty handed as they are either “sold out” or simply don’t have the right size. Here’s a kicker, I tried parts geek quite a few months ago (almost a year ago), except the parts that were guaranteed to fit did the exact opposite thing. The new drums and shoes didn’t fit together and ended up locking up. Tried putting front to back with the drums, no difference. And with the original shoes on, there was just too much space between the shoes and drums. At least all of the hardware worked fine, but now she’s been sitting with the original drums and shoes with upgraded cylinders and other parts, but still needs to be bled at least. I am pretty sure they will not accept returns, even though they’re in pristine condition.

So, if you can see where I’m going with this, I have to convert to all discs as it’d be an easier thing to deal with in the future. Oh, I should also mention this before I go one: Snow White is not in the same state I live in, so I cannot just go into my carport or front yard to work on her every weekend. It’s a rather complicated situation, but the basics is that I can’t go up every weekend and when I can I have to get a ride from someone else or borrow their vehicle. My car is in Nevada, I’m stuck in California.

I have considered what you’ve suggested, disc in front and drums in back, but like I have sort of pointed out, the numerous websites and stores I have checked do not have the parts I need, and where I ordered from did not send the right parts.

Apologies for the rambling. I appreciate your sources,
Nate

Welcome @Nate Dynamite -- I own a C-body called Snow White too! Mine is a 1970 Polara 'vert -- her thread is here. Good luck with the brakes!

Welcome to the site Nate!

Finding shoes shouldn't be a problem, I keep my cars drum as they work great when set up correctly. If you go to discs, get the 69-72 or the 73 single piston caliper system, the 66 is harder to source parts for the Budd calipers. The factory systems are more than adequate. Some aftermarket companies use Furd and GM parts, so you'd need to keep track of what parts you'll need to tell the person at the counter of a parts store to look up.

Hope you get it in the road soon, and enjoy putting on the miles!

Definitely swap to a 67 dual master cylinder, simply for safety reasons, it's no fun if that single pot master goes out, and your not on a country toad with absolutely zero traffic.

Hi Ben,

I appreciate your support and the links you have sent me. I didn’t think it would be so difficult to find drum brake parts myself, though the truth has been that I have hardly been able to find drums or shoes, with the only easy to get thing being the hardware. I have thought about having the drums turned and resurfaced, but I couldn’t find a shop that would do it.

I have tried a few different shops, but have come up empty handed as they are either “sold out” or simply don’t have the right size. Here’s a kicker, I tried parts geek quite a few months ago (almost a year ago), except the parts that were guaranteed to fit did the exact opposite thing. The new drums and shoes didn’t fit together and ended up locking up. Tried putting front to back with the drums, no difference. And with the original shoes on, there was just too much space between the shoes and drums. At least all of the hardware worked fine, but now she’s been sitting with the original drums and shoes with upgraded cylinders and other parts, but still needs to be bled at least. I am pretty sure they will not accept returns, even though they’re in pristine condition.

So, if you can see where I’m going with this, I have to convert to all discs as it’d be an easier thing to deal with in the future. Oh, I should also mention this before I go one: Snow White is not in the same state I live in, so I cannot just go into my carport or front yard to work on her every weekend. It’s a rather complicated situation, but the basics is that I can’t go up every weekend and when I can I have to get a ride from someone else or borrow their vehicle. My car is in Nevada, I’m stuck in California.

I have considered what you’ve suggested, disc in front and drums in back, but like I have sort of pointed out, the numerous websites and stores I have checked do not have the parts I need, and where I ordered from did not send the right parts.

Apologies for the rambling. I appreciate your sources,
Nate
Hi Nate,
Before you give up on sourcing factory parts, you may want to check with some California members.
Below are 3 who are very knowledgeable
@saforwardlook
@73Coupe
@SGT FURY
You could PM them as well as ask for suggestions from other California members
Also, I'm surprised that @mobileparts could not help. Did you PM Craig?
Best of luck! Ben

As Craig always says, "It's best to just call me"

(516) 485-1935 (Craig's #)

Welcome to the site. Grass Valley is a beautiful area, with lots of nice country roads to cruise in your classic.

I have a complete disc set up from a 70 Chrysler
Booster,pedal,valve,spindles,rotors,calipers.
$375. Calipers,booster MAY needs servicing.
Have a complete rotor to rotor disc rear end from a 75 imperial in good condition $300 still in car. You help me pull
Located in Santa Rosa ca.
Welcome to the forum!

Uhm, well thank you guys.
Ben, I totally forgot to checking with Craig, I'll do that soon.
And SGT Fury, I will certainly keep that in mind.
73Coupe, thanks for the number.
LocuMob, shoes shouldn't be a problem you're right, but I happen to have a pocket full of bad luck. Those years are helpful, thank you.
Ayilar, very pretty Snow White you've got.
I've made a forum for brake advice, we can continue further brake stuff there, thank you.
'66 Plymouth Fury (III) Brake Advice (needed)

I am not discounting your current advice.

Back