Klunk when shifting

Chopperdriver

Reaction score
1970 300 vert, klunk when shifting at low rpm, no sound when shifting at moderate rpm. Transmission mount? U joints seem fine.

Typically, the only "clunk" should be from "P" or "D" into "R". There is not an accumulator in the "R" apply fluid circuit as there is in the "D" (or forward gears) apply fluid circuit, so it is a "more firm" shift. Which might also take all of the slack out of the driveline items (u-joints and accent any rear axle gear lash, possibly). This item can also be accentuated by quick off-throttle then on-throttle situations at cruising speeds on a smoother/quiet road.

Are there any "new" driveline vibrations in the mix, too? What about the condition of the rear transmission mount rubber???

CBODY67

Is the throttle linkage to the trans adjusted correctly? (sometimes referred to as "kickdown linkage")

Is the throttle linkage to the trans adjusted correctly? (sometimes referred to as "kickdown linkage")
If it adjusted too “strong“ it can klunk on light throttle up shifts.

A shift kit can do the same thing by having the internal pressures too high. It won’t matter when you are on the pedal harder, but will do this and light throttle.

If it adjusted too “strong“ it can klunk on light throttle up shifts.

A shift kit can do the same thing by having the internal pressures too high. It won’t matter when you are on the pedal harder, but will do this and light throttle.
There are times when I've asked this question and gotten the "the linkage is missing" response too.... Which gives you all sort of problems.

Typically, the only "clunk" should be from "P" or "D" into "R". There is not an accumulator in the "R" apply fluid circuit as there is in the "D" (or forward gears) apply fluid circuit, so it is a "more firm" shift. Which might also take all of the slack out of the driveline items (u-joints and accent any rear axle gear lash, possibly). This item can also be accentuated by quick off-throttle then on-throttle situations at cruising speeds on a smoother/quiet road.

Are there any "new" driveline vibrations in the mix, too? What about the condition of the rear transmission mount rubber???

CBODY67
No new vibrations that I have felt, I need to climb under there and check the mount.

My 73 New Yorker developed a similar klunk the last few years I was driving it. I assumed it was the crush sleeve in the 489 case loosening up. I have a couple of other center sections to swap in to see if it fixes it, but never got around to it before I tore it apart to fix the rust on it.

If the crush sleeve was loose you would be having all sorts of problems. The yoke would be loose and flopping around. Very unlikely.

If the crush sleeve was loose you would be having all sorts of problems. The yoke would be loose and flopping around. Very unlikely.
Not loose enough for stuff to flop around, but loose enough to cause a clunk. Pretty common on 9 1/4's. The 9 1/4 in my '85 W150 you can physically see the yoke get sucked in when you put in reverse, if you stand by the wheel and look in. It bangs like crazy, but goes down the road fine.

Ok so you can physically see the yoke is moving. And that’s ok to drive on at your place?

I get the concern, I don't drive it much these days. It'll get its turn at some point. I had another 9 1/4 to go in but it was almost as bad. That one had a sure grip in it though, I plan to go through the rear end when I put it in.

Back