Labor cost for pressing axle bearings??

Yep. If the bearing comes with a retainer, just cut a relief in the old one. It is scrap anyway. I had a shop on my tool route that would cut a relief, split with a chisel and drive the bearings on and off with a piece of exhaust tubing. Heat up the retainer to expand and it will drive on pretty easy.
5 years ago the cost to press on tapered bearings for my 1970 Fury 8.75 axles was $100 at a local machine shop.

Factory shop manual warns about using a torch to remove bearings because heat damages the journal area of the shaft. I also thought the machinist told me the bearings should be cold pressed into position.

I am not a tool expert, but, with a different c-body, I did have an 8.75 axle shaft break at the journal 28000 miles after having new DTS bearings installed. I can very close to a disastrous accident. I think the installer used a torch.

We have a 20 ton press at work and have done many axle bearings with it, I usually cut the retainer and break it with a chisel, then press off the bearing

It’s amazing how much a little oven heat expands the bearings so they are easier to press on. A couple hundred degrees will go a long ways with a cool axle shaft. Don’t go to extremes.

I had a shop on my tool route that would cut a relief, split with a chisel and drive the bearings on and off with a piece of exhaust tubing.
cutting the notch works great on a lot of things. carrier bearings, pitman arms, center bearings. couple it with an air chisel and it saves a lot of set time. i wouldn't think exhaust pipe would be rugged enough. i use black iron pipe as an installer.

I think the decision was made for me last night.

It's a long story.... I have a couple email addresses I use. One is a simple one with my name that I use for professional type stuff, like notifications from doctor's offices and things like that. I've had that email for 15 years or so. Over the years, I've gotten email intended for someone with a similar name... In fact I get email intended for 3 different people on a regular basis. Some I respond to, like obviously important stuff, but I also get a laugh out of JC Penny in Florida sending me notifications the Jeanie's XXXL panties are on their way. Seriously.... Another one I get is regular Harbor Freight mailings. I also get those at the email I use for my HF purchases. Today, I got a "please come back" 25% off anything coupon meant for some guy named Mike. Usually the coupons have exceptions, but not this one...

So... that brings it down to $127... Yea... They open at 8...

Yep. If the bearing comes with a retainer, just cut a relief in the old one. It is scrap anyway. I had a shop on my tool route that would cut a relief, split with a chisel and drive the bearings on and off with a piece of exhaust tubing. Heat up the retainer to expand and it will drive on pretty easy.
This is what we've always done

Five years ago I had one done at Fleet Pride, (old Universal Joint Sales), $45 remove old, press on new seal & bearing. I had to supply the parts, $80 @ NAPA.

Five years ago I had one done at Fleet Pride, (old Universal Joint Sales), $45 remove old, press on new seal & bearing. I had to supply the parts, $80 @ NAPA.
It was recommended to me to stay away from those guys. They used to have a good rep, but it was sold to Fleet Pride and I understand they went downhill.

The last ones I did was at Frey Heavy Duty, formally Frey the Wheelman. I can't remember how much it was exactly, but it seems to me it was about that price. That was with me removing the old bearings.

It was recommended to me to stay away from those guys. They used to have a good rep, but it was sold to Fleet Pride and I understand they went downhill.

The last ones I did was at Frey Heavy Duty, formally Frey the Wheelman. I can't remember how much it was exactly, but it seems to me it was about that price. That was with me removing the old bearings.
I not sure when they changed hands, it was fleet pride when I moved back from Kokomo. They seemed good to me at the time but that was 5 years ago and it is a relatively simple job. I though of buying a press, the money wasn't as much an issue as the floor space it would occupy. If you have the space, I'm sure it will have many uses.

I not sure when they changed hands, it was fleet pride when I moved back from Kokomo. They seemed good to me at the time but that was 5 years ago and it is a relatively simple job. I though of buying a press, the money wasn't as much an issue as the floor space it would occupy. If you have the space, I'm sure it will have many uses.
Yea, I don't know the whole story, just that a lot of key employees from Fleet are over at Frey's now.

Having the room is an issue though. Floorspace is at a premium and this will go in the basement, that's for sure.

Oh how we would all love to have the 'special tools'!

AXLE.BEARING.TOOL.jpg

Yea, I don't know the whole story, just that a lot of key employees from Fleet are over at Frey's now.

Having the room is an issue though. Floorspace is at a premium and this will go in the basement, that's for sure.
It's good there are other options out there.

I did a set at a buddy's house recently. My first time at it.

We used a little HF 12-ton press and it worked fine with no heating, etc for installation of the new bearings.
Biggest effort was removing the old bearings, and there are numerous tips for that.
I heard afterward that putting the bearing on an anvil and hitting the outer race with a hammer can crack it - I wish I had known to try that. But that has the potential for shrapnel, so I'm content to do it the way we did.

Cut thru the outer race with a 3" die grinder, stopping periodically to see if you can crack it with a hammer/cold chisel.
The less cutting the better, less chance to cut into the shaft, esp the larger journal where the seal rides.

Perhaps this is obvious, but - make sure to put the outer seal in the correct way, and don't forget to put the retainer plate on the axle before pressing the new bearing on.
My axle shafts were both the same length, but verify yours to make sure.

I always took a torch and cut the outerside and the rollers cage fall out then set axle in a vice tighten good and take a chisel and drive the rest off Then place the new bearing on and use the part I drove off to put up against the new bearing and drive in on you will know when you hit bottom. I have done this at a old time dealership in the past many times

I swear I remember using a hammer but that was 60 years ago and my memory hasn't been too sharp recently.
Or was that the Metropolitan?...

I think the decision was made for me last night.

It's a long story.... I have a couple email addresses I use. One is a simple one with my name that I use for professional type stuff, like notifications from doctor's offices and things like that. I've had that email for 15 years or so. Over the years, I've gotten email intended for someone with a similar name... In fact I get email intended for 3 different people on a regular basis. Some I respond to, like obviously important stuff, but I also get a laugh out of JC Penny in Florida sending me notifications the Jeanie's XXXL panties are on their way. Seriously.... Another one I get is regular Harbor Freight mailings. I also get those at the email I use for my HF purchases. Today, I got a "please come back" 25% off anything coupon meant for some guy named Mike. Usually the coupons have exceptions, but not this one...

So... that brings it down to $127... Yea... They open at 8...
Beware of the plates that come with it. Chinium metal. Been know to shatter.
About 15 yrs ago. I upgraded to the 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. Sure beats pumping. Also built a small brake press for bending metal. Plenty of vids on the tube for that.

Back