Last T&C

Front suspension is rebuilt, some of the restored chrome parts are installed, and the tailgate works (as both a door and a drop down gate). Now I just need to figure out why the tailgate won’t lock. Oh, and I need to replace the leaking engine block heater plug, replace the rear shocks, install the rear bumper, install the aluminum trim, tighten the squealing power steering belt, fix the split in the front seat, remount the trailer hitch, and charge the A/C. The list is shrinking.

F1CA2B58-7004-4F61-A555-053A3D0A16B8.jpeg

3FA94795-12A3-468C-902D-C9AACD4ED45A.jpeg

Front suspension is rebuilt, some of the restored chrome parts are installed, and the tailgate works (as both a door and a drop down gate). Now I just need to figure out why the tailgate won’t lock. Oh, and I need to replace the leaking engine block heater plug, replace the rear shocks, install the rear bumper, install the aluminum trim, tighten the squealing power steering belt, fix the split in the front seat, remount the trailer hitch, and charge the A/C. The list is shrinking.

View attachment 502940

View attachment 502941
WOW :)

With the engine block heater replaced and the belts tightened up, it was ready to go to a local shop that has the equipment to dial in the Lean Burn system. The drive there made a couple of things obvious. The rear air shocks need to be replaced immediately and the car runs hot. All of the issues will be addressed at the shop because I just don’t have the time to do it. Below is a picture of the car in September 2019 when this journey started… and a picture of the car this morning. It’s almost done and I’m really excited to start enjoying it.

542D16AB-7D79-4982-B575-3FAB73A648C9.jpeg

71EDB060-8C8C-4286-A75A-B0C0EEB497CA.jpeg

With the engine block heater replaced and the belts tightened up, it was ready to go to a local shop that has the equipment to dial in the Lean Burn system. The drive there made a couple of things obvious. The rear air shocks need to be replaced immediately and the car runs hot. All of the issues will be addressed at the shop because I just don’t have the time to do it. Below is a picture of the car in September 2019 when this journey started… and a picture of the car this morning. It’s almost done and I’m really excited to start enjoying it.

View attachment 507931

View attachment 507932
Amazing!!! Awesome work.

View attachment 507931

View attachment 507932
Question for ya! did you, or do you have plans on removing the rear bumper shocks? I have my bumper off as well and want to remove them for powder coating, but they seem stuck in the frame rail pockets.. and I'm not sure how to remove them. Ive unbolted them and pulled on them quite a bit but nothing.. any Ideas?? Thanks

IMG_1076.jpg

That wagon looks outstanding! It's restoration brightened up your entire property!

Question for ya! did you, or do you have plans on removing the rear bumper shocks? I have my bumper off as well and want to remove them for powder coating, but they seem stuck in the frame rail pockets.. and I'm not sure how to remove them. Ive unbolted them and pulled on them quite a bit but nothing.. any Ideas?? Thanks

View attachment 508009
I am not going to remove the shocks. I pulled the rear bumper to access the filler panels, which needed to be removed to do the bodywork and install the wood. I have no idea how to remove them. Wish I could help.

View attachment 508009
Did you remove all of the bolts? There should be 3 per bumper shock...I'm thinking maybe you missed the bolts on the frame rail.
images.jpg

Did you remove all of the bolts? There should be 3 per bumper shock...I'm thinking maybe you missed the bolts on the frame rail.
View attachment 508374
Thank you Mr. C, yes I removed all the bolts and gave them a tug and a smack or two with a 5 pound hammer, but nothing. so I’m just assuming after 45 years of being shoved in the frame rails that they’re just stuck. If you were confident that they’re not welded or bonded in anyway, I may go back and remove the bolts spray some penetrating oil around them and give it another try.

Thank you Mr. C, yes I removed all the bolts and gave them a tug and a smack or two with a 5 pound hammer, but nothing. so I’m just assuming after 45 years of being shoved in the frame rails that they’re just stuck. If you were confident that they’re not welded or bonded in anyway, I may go back and remove the bolts spray some penetrating oil around them and give it another try.
Thank you Mr. C, I just went back out for a second look. And I see the third bolt you speak of. Once mother nature lets me outside again, I’ll remove all three and see what happens. I appreciate your input and knowledge as always. Thank you

View attachment 507931

View attachment 507932
Wow!

View attachment 508374
Mr. C, I wanted to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. So I’ll ask it here out loud because I need some help. I dropped off the absorbers at Powder Coater today. He had a question about them since they’re going on a 400° powder coating oven. Is there any oil or fluid inside the absorbers? I’m thinking just a spring, no fluids. Thoughts?

Mr. C, I wanted to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. So I’ll ask it here out loud because I need some help. I dropped off the absorbers at Powder Coater today. He had a question about them since they’re going on a 400° powder coating oven. Is there any oil or fluid inside the absorbers? I’m thinking just a spring, no fluids. Thoughts?
1641933800585.png

From my '75 FSM, so yes on the fluid filled

Last edited:
The T&C is finally usable! It runs and drives well for a car still running Lean Burn. I’m still waiting for the “brite dip” trim to get done and I have to reinstall the trailer hitch. At least I can enjoy it in the meantime. There are a lot of fussy little things that need to be tackled, but none of it will keep the car off the road.

Aaron

C57CD4AE-9CF8-4E9C-967C-135ED9C8345D.jpeg

The T&C is finally usable! It runs and drives well for a car still running Lean Burn. I’m still waiting for the “brite dip” trim to get done and I have to reinstall the trailer hitch. At least I can enjoy it in the meantime. There are a lot of fussy little things that need to be tackled, but none of it will keep the car off the road.

Aaron

View attachment 524036
Nice plate! That thing is a tank. :thumbsup:

Back