Lets make Sure-Brake great again

ImpJay

The different young
Reaction score
So, like some know, Impster has the anti-lock braking system from the factory. All the sensors and the controller are intact, but someone has taken the linings out. There´s also two hose nipples close to the brake master cylinder.
Can anybody help me to get the linings back in the correct places and also ones made of the right material? More pictures coming tomorrow.

IMG_1004.JPG

OK, I beg forgiveness for being a b-body guy....
ANTI-LOCK BRAKES???? Is that one of those early systems that just worked on the back wheels? I have never seen/heard of this before.

If possible, I would LOVE to increase safety in my car for cross-country trips since I'm not a "numbers guy" anyway. I've got power front disk/rear drum (factory). Please teach me about the system in your Imperial. What cars? What years? I'm all ears.

OK, I beg forgiveness for being a b-body guy....
ANTI-LOCK BRAKES???? Is that one of those early systems that just worked on the back wheels? I have never seen/heard of this before.

If possible, I would LOVE to increase safety in my car for cross-country trips since I'm not a "numbers guy" anyway. I've got power front disk/rear drum (factory). Please teach me about the system in your Imperial. What cars? What years? I'm all ears.

It´s the first 4-wheel braking system ever, which was offered on Imperials for the for 71 and it lasted trough 73, so only LeBarons because Crown model was dropped after 70. This leads to two body styles, the 2dr and 4dr, of which both are hardtops. I think that 74-75s had to settle down to rear discs, but I´m not so strong on Formals.

@PurpleBeeper, here´s one of the brake modulators:

View attachment 240859
Not a good pic, but some of it is visible.
Very interesting! Wow, so why was the sure brake system dropped? Is it know for having problems?

Also, do you have any idea if the sure brake rotors/drums would be compatible with '70 b-body? I've got '73+ front rotors with the larger diameter inner wheel bearing (A-body spindles/old school conversion) and 11"x3" (bigger ones) rear drums. If the correct rotors/drums would fit my car.....can you even buy them anymore? THANK YOU!

First: I have no idea, someone has just cut metallic(?) hoses out. The system should stop operation on it´s own, if any malfunction occurs.

Any Imperial from 67 to 73 is a hard one due to the brakes, because the bolt pattern is 5x5 instead of 5x4.5 (55-66 giant as 5x5.5), so unfortunately I can´t accept your offer.
There´s also that I should take the sensors of the old brakes (on backside of the rotor or drum) to install to the new ones in case I could have made Sure-Brake operable again. With a non-operating system it´s not needed to change the sensors between rotors/drums.

Geez, so for me, the odd bolt pattern makes adapting the anti-lock brake system to my car a no-go since it would require custom (or shortened) axles. Thanks for the info ImpJay!

No problem! Imperial is a whole different thing among other Mopars.

No problem! Imperial is a whole different thing among other Mopars.
Maybe try looking up old articles written by Richard Ehrenberg of Mopar Action magazine. I’m sure I read about this system in MA. If you can’t find what you’re looking for email him. A few months ago he did something like you’re asking for for the Budd brakes guys. Good Luck man.

EF767267-8C58-4782-9275-CADDB697753A.jpeg

5A5C6227-A4F3-43CD-8AEA-4AE686F6A19B.jpeg

These instructions are on the jack cover panel:

Imp 12.1..2019 009.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 010.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 011.jpg

``Disconnect`` because those show how to get the brakes to work as normal brakes, when a malfunction occurs.

Last edited:
Back