Lets talk batteries

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
So the Monaco is siting in storage. When she arrived the battery was dead, money driving it on and off the truck failed to listen when I told him the car should be primed if it sits for more than two days. So crank away he did. It was weak previously but would hold a charge and crank pretty good but capacity wasn't what it was when new. Since my other shipment didn't arrive til a week after the car arrived I didn't have a battery charger nor tools to take the battery out. Well I did have the tools but figured she'd need a new battery anyway as I didn't want to deal with buying a charger, removing a weak battery, and hauling back and forth every time I went out to start it.

Anyway the good folks that have it in storage have given me permission to drive it on their property to keep things moving and free. So now I'm thinking of buying that new battery and taking it for a spin at least once a week.

Having said that, whay battery group am I looking for. The parts stores are showing group 24, 25, and I think a 34. What's the right fit here? *edit make that 24, 27 and 34.*

Ideas on deep cycle since it sits for long periods? I run an optima yellow top in the '03 Ram and never had a lick of trouble so far.

I've had great success with the Johnson controls batterys. There the duralast, and duralast gold at autozone. Or advance auto sells there branded ones. There Johnson controls also. I've had terrible life out of deka, and interstate batterys. Oriellys, napa sell the deka. I'd use a group 27 they have a higher cold cranking rating, and more reserve. I prefer autozone for ease of warranty, but advance comes in close. Walmart batterys are also johnson controls but they tend to only keep the group 24. The optima batterys are built by Johnson controls too.

Yep, two manufacturers of batteries and the rest is just the label and pricing.

I've had good luck with NAPA batteries and like them because I can get a decent deal and they are black.... and that looks better in an old car.

Buy the 27. It will be a little bigger and should have (in theory) more plates and acid. Chrysler usually put a 24 in the cars and the 27 was their "heavy duty" battery.... Not that it means that much.

I've never used an Optima battery, but I have heard stories of them not lasting in occasionally driven cars.

I always use a marine battery for cars that sit in storage a lot, firstly they are heavier duty than similar car batteries and can handle running flat a lot better too. I use one in my pickup as well since I'm lucky to drive it once a month. It cost me 80 bucks at advance auto and is 1000 CCA. I'll see if i can find the link to it.

As you will see in the listing John, it says in the description, it is a CCA rating not MCA

Let me cut and paste the specifications for you, and you will see i am right,
Battery Type:Lead Acid
BCI Group Size:24
Cold Cranking Amps:800 amps
Cranking Amps:1000 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting:Starting
Height:8 11/16 in
Length:10 15/16 in
Maintenance Free:Yes
Reserve Capacity:135 min
Terminal Type:Combination Auto / Stud Terminal
Voltage:12 v
Weight:45 lbs
Width:6 7/8 in

If it gets to 32 here I think I'd have bigger things to worry about than the battery in the old barge. :)

I agree that it says it on the website! I think that the website is incorrect in stating it that way.

Every battery I ever bought for one of those holes in the water that was specifically for a boat was marked "MCA".

As I said, look at the battery itself. The label will have either "MCA" or "CCA". If it has CCA on it, then you are correct. Until then, we can agree to disagree.

Bottom line is they will all work....

I checked my battery just now, it has both marked on it, CCA and MCA. The MCA being 200 amps more. Same as the specifications state.

You know I took the factory one out of my 03 Ram and tried to use it before we moved and it was too big for the Monaco's battery tray. Almost hit the hood.

Not to get in the debate again (LOL!), but marine batteries are rated differently at 32 degrees and auto batteries at 0 degrees. CCA for auto and MCA for boats. It will say this on the battery.

Does it really matter when 99% of the cars are bundled up warm in a garage and not seeing any action when it's that cold out/winter time?

Does it really matter when 99% of the cars are bundled up warm in a garage and not seeing any action when it's that cold out/winter time?

The CCA is a measure of battery capacity. A battery that has more cold cranking amps at 0 degrees is going to also have more at 70 degrees... or when the engine is hot and underhood temperature is maybe 150 degrees or better... That extra capacity is going to turn the engine over.

Really... you can go buy a cheap battery. It will probably start the car and last a couple years. Myself, I like to know my car will start every time and I'm willing to spend the extra $20.

You know I took the factory one out of my 03 Ram and tried to use it before we moved and it was too big for the Monaco's battery tray. Almost hit the hood.
I never would have guessed that. I currently have the battery out of my '94 Ram in my '68 Newport and it fits just fine. Maybe my Ram originally had the wrong battery?

Back