License plate restoration?

I would go with the original plate(s). Luckily I found an old registration slip in my glovebox that had the original plate number and was able to order reproduction plates from licenseplates.tv before they stopped making/shipping the CA black plates. I have personalized CA Legacy Plates (3X2 4SP; Tri Power, 4 Speed) on my '64 GTO as it is not an original CA car. I even have '65 tags on the Chrysler and '64 tags on the GTO. Zero issues with the police.

34987714383_862cb7e7a0_b.jpg

35628554142_9afc9e1e46_b.jpg

I'm not too concerned with the LEOs around here, many of them already know me- mostly for good reasons, some... maybe questionable. (side note, never date a cop's daughter.)

I think I'm going to go ahead and restore the original plate, and get my registration to match it. BLUPORT can just go on the wall in the shop. I like the idea that it will point out the year of the car, last time I drove it I had someone say "Lemme guess, 71?" and another guy said "Nice Buick." I told the 2nd guy to watch his mouth.

In Minnesota, I can run the whatever I want on the front of the car, up to '68 I think. I have a CA black plate on one, Mopar Performance in another, and a Direct Connection plate waiting to go on. Maybe you have that option in NC, maybe not.

In Minnesota, I can run the whatever I want on the front of the car, up to '68 I think. I have a CA black plate on one, Mopar Performance in another, and a Direct Connection plate waiting to go on. Maybe you have that option in NC, maybe not.
I can't have conflicting DMV plates on the car, even if it's on the front.

I see. Flip a quarter for the decision?
Well, I kinda have to stay out of legal trouble to keep my job, so I'm pretty sure I'll err on the side of caution for this one. I'll restore the old plate, and just use the DMV Vanity plate option to enter that as my Personalized Plate, but rather than run the NEW plate they send, I'll run the restored plate, and keep the "new" tag in the car, just in case.

Now I get to start restoration on it.

I just found a problem with your plate, it incites violence :lol: At least that's what the DMV will say:rolleyes:
tempsnip.png

All of my vintage vehicles carry YOM tags. Even Connie. One time registration, and a easy way to ID what year the car is.
BLUPORT is a great tag, if you know what it signifies. The casual observer will say "WTF" and go on. I have no clue what most of the personal tags I see mean.
I try to keep mine from being too obscure.

My (High 11's) DD.

20190613_160926.jpg

Well, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Before:
20190629_201255.jpg

After:

received_559679181227545.jpeg

Historical accuracy wasn't important to me, just clarity and condition.

Back