Links Bridge Run (Maryland, October 8, 2022)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Folks,

@Imperialist67, @Analog Kid, @Michael McCoy, and I will be driving our C-bodies from Glen Echo Park (near the C&O Canal, just north of DC) to visit @Ripinator in Germantown and then drive on to the Links Bridge Vineyards for a light lunch (and wine in moderation -- they make really good reds) and a chat outside. As usual with the runs that I organize (cue the Creamery Run and the Potomac Run with the same friends a couple of years ago, or the annual CATL drives), driving big Mopars on small scenic roads is the plan!

I am posting in the hope that others will join us. As always, if the whole trip is too long, feel free to join for just a part of the drive or even just for a meeting. At the winery, I have made reservations for 6-10 folks and the owners know we may be even more.

The date is Oct. 8 from 9:45-2PM. The weather for that Saturday is supposed to be nice: 71F with little chance of rain:
weathr forecast 20221008.png

Assuming that @Imps Rule can join us with his GC8 Plymouth, we'll have most fuselage years covered: a 1970 Polara 'vert, a 1971 Sport Fury 4dr hardtop, a 1972 Fury iii 2dr hardtop, and a 1973 Imperial 4dr hardtop. If @Imperialist67 brings his '67 NYer, we'll have a great slab too (if not, then we'll get another '70 'vert as he'll be driving my 1970 TNT in that case).

--> Here is a synopsis of the run (clickable map):
Links_Bridge_Run_20221008.png

--> And here are some details:

1. 9:45AM: Meeting! @Imperialist67 and I arrive at the Glen Echo parking lot to greet folks.

2. 10AM: Departure! We all leave Glen Echo and head to Rip's place, which we should reach around 10:45AM. To get to Germantown, we will start by taking McArthur Blvd, make a right on to Seven Locks Rd, and then a left onto MD-190 (River Rd) in Carderock Springs, MD:
1_departure.png

We will follow River Rd for a while. After we drive through Potomac, we will be in a beautiful and sparsely populated area. From River Rd, we will either make a right onto Esworth Rd and then a right onto MD-112 toward Darnestown (as shown in the map right below), or we will continue on MD-190 until we hit MD-112 near Seneca (right after passing Bretton Woods) and catch MD-112 there. Either choice is beautiful and a great drive.
2_RiverRd.png

3. In Darnestown, we will make a left from MD-112 onto MD-28 (called Darnestown Rd), which we will leave shortly thereafter to make a right onto MD-118 (Germantown Rd). We will take MD-118 to Rip's place (located close to Werking Automotive, which is what I show on the map below to preserve our friend's privacy; folks who need the exact address can PM @Ripinator or me). We should be at Rip's place around 10:45AM.
3_Werking.png

4. 11:30AM: we leave Rip's: After shooting the breeze with Rip, we head to the winery. We take MD-27 through Damascus all the way to Mt Airy, before making a left on the Old National Pike (MD-144). No, we don't take I-70: we take 144, which runs alongside it, all the way to making a right onto MD-75 in New Market.
4_27to144to75t0Vineyard.png

Just before we reach Libertytown, we make a left onto MD-550 (Jones Rd, which then becomes Woodsboro Rd). In Woodsboro, we make a right from 550 onto Main St., then after 2 blocks a left onto Elizabeth Dt., then after 2 blocks a right onto James St., and then after 1 block a left not Gravel Hill Rd -- which brings us to the winery.
5_Woodsboro_to_Vineyard.png

5. 12:30PM: Lunch! We should reach the vineyard around 12:30PM. The owners have a great property on the slopes of the Monocacy River, with indoor seating in case of bad weather, and a super deck for parties such as ours on good days. I have gone there with @Imperialist67 and @Ripinator before, they can vouch for wonderful setting and folks. There is ample parking for our car on the lawn.

I hope that others in the area can join us. With apologies to those whom I am unwittingly forgetting, I am paging in particular local members @Newport Man @Walter Joy @FlintlockDave @69Ragtopfury (would be great to add a '69 for a complete set of fuselages!) in MD, @essextiger in DC, and @Copper1982 @68NewportDDD @68SportFury! @Boomer @Dillon @Jim 68cuda @justthatguy @Michael A. Corley (and also @1970FuryConv from further afield)

In total, we will be out for two hours of driving together (plus driving time to/from Glen Echo) and probably close to 4-4.5 hours in total. Folks who cannot join for the whole run can easily join at the 3 stopping points: Glen Echo Park lot (9:45AM), Rip's (10:45-11:30AM), and Links Bridge Vineyards (12:30-2PM).

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to be a part of this caravan on a nice autumn day in my hometown of DC and the 'burbs.

But it's a looong drive from Ponte Vedra Beach so I'll regretfully pass this Run up.

I would absolutely love to be a part of this caravan on a nice autumn day in my hometown of DC and the 'burbs.

But it's a looong drive from Ponte Vedra Beach so I'll regretfully pass this Run up.
You can fly in, in which case I'd be happy to pick you up at the airport first thing in the morning and drop you off at the end of the run. And, I can lend you my TNT -- you know how to drive her :)

I'd love to make this one... Can't though.

Mrs. Big John and I will be on a cruise ship that week (put off since 2020) and will be somewhere in the Atlantic on the 8th.

I'd love to make this one... Can't though.

Mrs. Big John and I will be on a cruise ship that week (put off since 2020) and will be somewhere in the Atlantic on the 8th.
I know, and that is a real bummer. I had hoped therefore to set the trip for the previous weekend, but works comes first and I won't be in the DC area till the 6th. Enjoy the cruise -- there is always a next time!

@ayilar
Thanks for the invite and for thinking of me!
I have a family occasion on Oct 8 that I am already committed to.
Hope everyone has a great time. Ben

Thanks for the invite. I don't take my old cars anywhere near the beltway or 270 any more (since I moved from the DC suburbs to a more rural county west of the mountain). Don't like driving my modern vehicles in the DC traffic either, but I do drive a Cummins Dodge for work, hauling a single car enclosed trailer, and I was in the neighborhood of the starting point just last week picking up a 69 MG-B to take from the seller to a new owner in Virginia Beach. Now, I wouldn't be able to drive through Germantown on a Saturday without stopping at the Amish market for a fresh baked sausage cheese pretzel roll, or a 1/4 lb sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich and fresh baked donuts. And then, Mt Airy. I know a restaurant there that makes a killer Monte Cristo sandwich. I'm afraid I'll pass this time. My plan is to go to Hershey for the vendors and car corral on Wednesday and then to return to Hershey on Friday for the car show. After Carlisle this week and two car shows this weekend (including a Mopar show in Culpepper, Virginia on Sunday), I'm sure I wont be ready for a road trip when I return from Hershey. I do plan to attend the annual car show at the Rockville Civic Center, as a spectator, on the following weekend (10/15). Perhaps I'll see your cars there.

Last week, I did get together with a couple buddies to do a little cruise up some back roads from Berryville, Virginia up to Charles Town, West Virginia, over to Summit Point, West Virginia and back down to Berryville where we joined an informal gathering of local car guys. I was in the lead in my 67 Coronet vert, 2nd was a buddy in his 1960 Buick, and he took these photos through the windshield. The third car in our little caravan was a 69 Dart convertible.

1664248964286.png
1664248991822.png

1664249023015.png

1664249319340.png

Last edited:
There is a rumor going around that I'm flying to DC this Friday and riding with @Ayilar.
There is indeed a rumor going around that @ayilar will be picking you up for breakfast and taking you to meet with @Imperialist67 and two of his 1970 'verts on Saturday morning -- and then on to meet with @Analog Kid , @Michael McCoy (hopefully others too) at Glen Echo around 9:45AM, on the way to @Ripinator's. Look forward to seeing you -- thanks a lot for flying in!

PS: the weather forecast remains for dry, sunny weather but the temps will be lower than initially expected.

weather forecast 20221008to09.png

Last edited:
I wish I could do this! Unfortunately, I have a date with a new right knee on Thursday October 6 and the doc says I can’t drive for two weeks. Next year for sure!

I wish I could do this! Unfortunately, I have a date with a new right knee on Thursday October 6 and the doc says I can’t drive for two weeks. Next year for sure!
I plan to organize a run in the area next spring -- and I hope that you and @Big_John can make it too. @bnz84 has several good ideas in the area, including the Milkhouse Brewery near Libertytown and Frey's Brewing Company in Mt. Airy. So, whether you like wine or beer, we'll have you covered :)

For next week, I'd say break a leg for the new knee -- but that might come across as a lousy sense of humor. All the best!

Thanks! Hopefully my 300 will be roadworthy next spring, if not I might have to borrow one of your cars.

:)

Hi, we are looking forward to the drive on Saturday. One question, is there food at the winery or do we need to pack a lunch? Thanks!

Hi, we are looking forward to the drive on Saturday. One question, is there food at the winery or do we need to pack a lunch? Thanks!
I won't pack as they provide light fare. I have visited two or three times before. When we last visited (with @Ripinator and his better half, and @Imperialist67 ), we had some wine and local cheese plates. We enjoyed what we ate and drank -- cheese platters and fruits -- with a wine tasting. From the website: "a wine tasting includes about one ounce each of seven different wines, served as a flight at your table. We change the composition of the wines from time to time. We charge $14 per tasting." Here is a photo of their two "cheese and charcuterie boards to accompany your wine" -- one salty and one sweet (price is on top of the wine flight, and reasonable):

1664926260435.png

FWIW, I liked their wine so much that I bought a couple of cases. They do reds and whites well, very much French-style. Their light reds (Cabernet Franc) are especially good IMHO -- much like a very good Loire Valley red (e.g., a good Chinon) -- and are quaffable at lunch.

What you may need to bring is a cardigan or jacket as the plan is to sit outside (as we did last time). I don't think we'll need any, but I like cool weather and may be in shorts where others have long pants & sleeves :eek::

1664926650554.png

A nice walk in their meadows afterwards, down possibly to the Monocacy River and the old bridge (both of which their property abutts), is what I have in mind for digestion. Here is a photo:

1664926889149.png

Look forward to seeing the two of you and the Imp!

It's a real nice spot - I might bring something to eat so I don't overindulge on the cheese&crackers&nuts.

Back