Lokar kickdown adjustment

RagTop66

Reaction score
So, I went with the lokar kickdown and throttle cables for my 440/727 setup. It shifts fine when casually driving. My issue is, when driving between 25-40 and I romp on the throttle, it doesn’t downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It would do it when I had the same tranny and my old 383 with the factory kickdown linkage. The lokar cables were installed exactly as the instructions described.

I obviously need to adjust something to make it work right. Can someone give me some tips?

What year was the 383 and 727 car? Earlier 727s didn't do a 3rd to 2nd downshift much below 50 mph, and that wasn't changed until early 70s I believe. Below 30 mph the trans will downshift directly to 1st from 3rd when the pedal is tromped.

A 3rd to 2nd downshift at below 45 mph is known as "part throttle downshift" and is a much loved later model 727 improvement that can be added to earlier transmissions fairly simply by changing out the valve body upper half and some other parts.

Pat Blais Transmissions has an eBay store that sells kits to do just that.

Edit: I reread your post and see it's the same trans... so likely an adjustment is needed. Does it go all the way to 1st when tromped or just not downshift at all?

I have the same cable kick down and am experiencing exactly the same. I think its also in the cable adjustment. Ive read were when the car is at idle the kick down lever must be at full forward position but when you floor it, it must be all the way back....I have to check again for to much slack....Its a 1969. 727 trans

I don't know anything about Lokar adjustment, but I just wanted to toss this out there as info to the discussion. This is from my 1970 FSM.
upload_2020-7-5_13-22-27.png

Your basic issue is, the cable is too long, meaning not enough pressure on KD. The adjustment is very similar to the FSM. This assumes no VB modification or shift kit. Unhook Lokar and make sure you have WOT and know where it is. Pull the Lokar cable until you feel the slack gone. Tighten Allen screw and install back on throttle. Recheck WOT. Still not working, adjust longer cable slow to engage or shorten for quicker. No more than 1/4 inch and try again. I’ve not had a Lokar that works the way the instructions state. I’ve had to move it where I needed it. Craig

I have the lokar on my fury, takes some work but you can get it. I have mine set more aggressive so that I get 3-2 down shift with closed throttle around 25mph because like a bike or stick car I prefer to be in the gear I want to take off in before entering the turn

I have the lokar on my fury, takes some work but you can get it. I have mine set more aggressive so that I get 3-2 down shift with closed throttle around 25mph because like a bike or stick car I prefer to be in the gear I want to take off in before entering the turn

Any tips on how you got it to do that? I’ve never used these before, so I’m going through a lot of trial and error.

I ignore the instructions as well and start with wot and full trans motion. Then work backwards. You can both adjust the inner cable stop at the carb linkage and the outer cable in it's mounting bracket

Back