Look into my tank

Agreed. Vans has good deals.
A vented tank, new straps, sending unit and filler neck grommet should be around $320 IIRC.

Replacing the tank in your case is the best way to go. Patched up tanks always seem to leak when least expected or when the tank is full. Not to mention the reoccurrence of contamination of rusty crud.

This is exactly how I came to purchase my `69 convertible. It had pretty much exactly what you have going on. David took it to a shop and 1900 bucks later he drove it home parked it and put it up for sale. The shop tanked the tank and all that survived was the filler neck. He was trapped in their shop and to get it home they did that tank, sender, lines & filter $1900 parts & labor. Be glad you’re fixing it in your driveway at home and not dehorsed in some shop.

I remember some goop from the 90’s you’d pour into the tank and it would seal it up and rustproof it all in one shot. Looked like silver paint. I know of only one guy that used it and I guess it worked cause we never heard him complain about it later...

Good luck w your repair & don’t sell your car because of it !!!!

I struggled with the same decision on my desoto a few years back. The original tank was savable but was gonna cost some bucks to keep it alive.
Found a replacement tank and sending unit. Don't remember what it cost but was close to $300 then. Hurt like hell to spend it but I've never regretted it at all.
Gas gauge works again and I'll never have to worry about or deal with that tank again as long as I live. I can drive 500 miles away from home with no concern now.
Money well spent in the long run.

We have used these guy's here in MI, they seal it inside and out. It's not the prettiest but it works.
Gas Tank Renu Missouri | Gas Tank Renu

It wont hurt to get a price.

I had mine done by them at a Chicago area location about 25 years ago, mine wasn't as bad as yours. It cost me about $200 for them to do their thing. This was before people began repoppin tanks. So the outside of my tank is now black instead of metal color, BFD. Good Luck

I used Gas Tank Renu around 1989 as well, and it came with a lifetime warranty. I never regretted it.

However, no new tanks were around then, so I may have gone that way if there were. I certainly would go new now if my tank was too roached to repair.

Back