Lookie what just found me!

I hope to get the transmission in it before the weekend is out.
Wish me luck!
Also....Is there any market for these cars? What is a fair price for a reasonably complete '70 Polara? It looks like all the interior trim and door panels are in the trunk.

The way it is the derby guys would want it more than us because of the cost to save it. Its a 500 dollar car, a four door sedan , no options, needing everything.

The way it is the derby guys would want it more than us because of the cost to save it. Its a 500 dollar car, a four door sedan , no options, needing everything.
That is disappointing.
I didn't expect a pile of cash but I had hoped that it might be worth $1000 to someone.

That is disappointing.
I didn't expect a pile of cash but I had hoped that it might be worth $1000 to someone.

It might be. I certainly can't tell how solid it is.. trunk pan, floors. You got the deal, anyone that pays more is upside down from the gate .
Being a rust free car in California isn't to meaningful.
Being a rust free car in Jersey is amazing .

In 2014 I picked up a 1967 Chrysler 300. It had a 1968 440 from a Coronet R/T. It had been sitting for over 20 years. I tried to sell that whole too but had no takers. I still have the TNT HiPo exhaust manifolds from that car!
The 300 had a 3.23 SG diff. That was a surprise. This one has an open diff but I don't yet know the ratio. I'll check tomorrow.
Funny thing....It seems that a slant six or 318 A body needing everything can sell for $3000 but these big cars can't draw $1500 ?

Funny thing....It seems that a slant six or 318 A body needing everything can sell for $3000 but these big cars can't draw $1500 ?

I overpaid twenty years ago for my Dart, but now I couldn't get crap for an A body for what I paid.

Better sense prevailed.
Closer inspection and sober, realistic thinking led me to the decision to part this car out. Rust, body damage, a lack of cool options, and the fact that the engine and rear axle were the only real value in this turd helped aid in the move.
Polara.jpg

I shot some video of the engine starting and running to use for a Craigslist ad for the engine, then pulled it into the shop....
Polara 11.jpg

It had a rusty and pitted roof, I'm guessing from a worn out vinyl top? There were metal patches above the rear window channel that I did not see until I started cutting. The floor pans are rock solid. I may save them to sell at a fair price.
Polara 15.jpg

Rust in the trunk floor, poor body repairs on the RH side...
It sucks to lose another one but the closer I looked, the more this was either a Derby car or a parts car.

Rust in the trunk floor, poor body repairs on the RH side...
It sucks to lose another one but the closer I looked, the more this was either a Derby car or a parts car.
How about some pic's and info on the Charger in the background.:D

Sure...
The Charger was advertised in the local paper in March 2000. $2500 or best offer. 318, 904, green on green.

1amdlbs.JPG
1KK.JPG
1O.jpg

The owner had two cars and was moving. He decided to keep the other... a '76 Mercury Cougar!
He was hung over the morning that I arrived. I drove the car and was sold on it. I offered $1700 and he accepted.
1L.jpg
1F.JPG

It was mostly complete but pretty worn. Rust around the rear window channel due to the vinyl top. Rust on the trunk floor but the rest of the car was solid. 318 ran great. 904 had been rebuilt and shifted great. New carpet but shredded seats and a cracked dash. I drove the car for work (Construction) for over a month 130 miles a day when I was rebuilding the engine for my work truck.

The suspension has been improved with 1.15 torsion bars, a 1.25 sway bar, Bilstein shocks, reinforced lower control arms, reinforced K member, Firm Feel Stage 3 steering box with Fast Ratio arms, 5 stage leaf springs with a 3/4" sway bar, Bilstein shocks.
21 Avdmsbkjbxf;jkxbd kjxmdfdvs.JPG
40.JPG
42.JPG
43.JPG

Thanks for the pic's and the story with them. How do you like the Firm Feel steering box?

Thanks for the pic's and the story with them. How do you like the Firm Feel steering box?
I liked it for awhile but nothing can be done to completely eliminate that slop in the middle of the travel. Oddly, when the steering was easy to turn, I barely noticed the slop but now with Fast Ratio arms, the effort to turn is greater (Which is fine unto itself) but the increased effort to turn really highlights the on center slop. It is a design flaw of a 60 year old steering box design. I am seriously considering a Borgeson steering box.

Back