Looking to change drums to disc from 71 CBody to 68 - anything to know?

On my '68 I tied it into a switched power lead on the back of the fuse box. Where I put it on the '69 eludes me, completely blank. I_think_the sliding switch started in 1974 with the formal models. It wasn't too long after that the sliding switch superseded the rotary switch.

The switch for 1970 was new, it added the off position the earlier switch didn't have, hence the four wire connection vs the earlier three wire connection.

I believe the switch to the sliding cruise control stock on the column was around 72, I have a bunch of cruise control stuff I have saved from mopars over the years, for eventual use on my cars, and pretty sure every 72-74 B/C body I pulled parts from had the later style.

I believe the switch to the sliding cruise control stock on the column was around 72, I have a bunch of cruise control stuff I have saved from mopars over the years, for eventual use on my cars, and pretty sure every 72-74 B/C body I pulled parts from had the later style.

Nope, the very first one I ever worked on was my Grandfathers '72 Grand Coupe. The stalk was broken, I went down to the used part emporium and procured a nice one for him. Then I test drove it around Fort Worth, I really liked that car. If you watch the video I posted, it's from 1972 and shows the rotary switch. By the mid to late 1970's they were already superseding the rotary style to the sliding switch style. My '68 has the slider, it was all I could find (tilt wheel) when I needed one. 1972 and 1974 Plymouth attached.

Plymouth Brochure-27.jpg

1974 Chrysler.jpg

Last edited:
The changeover was either part way through the 1973 model year or with the introduction of the formals in '74. 1973 definitely started out with the rotary switch. That's what's in the sales brochures and I've seen loads of 73's with the rotary.

I have also seen multiple 1973 cars with the slider, but that doesn't guarantee they came from the factory that way. If you had to replace a defective switch, the slider may have become the replacement for the rotary after the stock of rotary switches dried up. I believe that the two are interchangeable.

If I had to bet money on it, I'd say it was a running change towards the end of the 1973 model year.

Jeff

Back