FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this fascinating and beautiful

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have to admit that the entire 59 GM line up are some of favorite cars.
That and the 60 ford starliner

This guy claims these Pontiacs ride on Chevy frames, and this one clearly doesn't have the "wide track" stance that I'm use to. What's the rational behind that?

From that article it seems using the Chevy frame was purely a cost saving measure.

"Canadian "full size" Pontiacs were actually closely related to Chevrolets, making use of the economical Chevrolet chassis and drivetrain, though with the American Pontiac-styled exterior body panels (They weren't the same as U.S. Pontiac panels since they had to fit the shorter-wheelbase 119-inch Chevrolet "X" frame. U.S. Pontiacs used a full perimeter frame.) and interior instrument panels. As Chevrolets under the skin, Canadian Pontiacs including the Parisienne used the same engines and transmissions as full-size Chevys....
Built in the same GM of Canada assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario, Pontiacs had parallel model lineups as "full size" Chevrolets..."

From that article it seems using the Chevy frame was purely a cost saving measure.

"Canadian "full size" Pontiacs were actually closely related to Chevrolets, making use of the economical Chevrolet chassis and drivetrain, though with the American Pontiac-styled exterior body panels (They weren't the same as U.S. Pontiac panels since they had to fit the shorter-wheelbase 119-inch Chevrolet "X" frame. U.S. Pontiacs used a full perimeter frame.) and interior instrument panels. As Chevrolets under the skin, Canadian Pontiacs including the Parisienne used the same engines and transmissions as full-size Chevys....
Built in the same GM of Canada assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario, Pontiacs had parallel model lineups as "full size" Chevrolets..."
Absolutely. The manufacturing costs for the limited Canadian market couldn't be sustained without sharing parts. It's the same with the "Plodges", Canadian Plymouth and Dodge line-ups...

"Plodge"
Plodge, a portmanteau of the names Plymouth and Dodge, is a name informally used to refer to vehicles Stellantis Canada built with a mix of U.S. Plymouth and Dodge parts for the Canadian and export markets. This practice allowed dealers in Canada to offer a wider array of vehicles at lower development cost in the relatively small Canadian market.[citation needed] For example, a Plymouth with a Dodge grille and taillights became a Dodge without the expense of tooling a vehicle for the market. On the Dodge Dart introduced in 1960, only the interiors were shared; Canadian-market 1960-61 Darts had Plymouth dashboards. The 1965 to 1966 Dodge Monaco used a Dodge body, with a Plymouth Fury dashboard and interior trim.[citation needed] Not all Canadian-market Chrysler-built vehicles were badge engineered in this manner, however; the DeSoto Diplomat, for example—a rebadged Dodge Dart—was never sold in Canada, where DeSotos were similar to the US models. The Canadian 1960 DeSoto Adventurer looked like the American 1960 DeSoto but used the upholstery and door panels from the 1960 Chrysler Saratoga.[citation needed]

220px-65_Canadian_Valiant.jpg

The 1965 Canadian-market Valiant Custom 200 was a rebadged U.S. Dodge Dart.
The Valiant was sold by both Dodge and Plymouth dealers as a separate make, as had been the original plan in the United States. 1960 to 1962 Canadian Valiants were substantially the same as American models, with minor trim and mechanical equipment differences. 1963-64 Canadian Valiants had U.S. Valiant front sheetmetal on the U.S. Dart body. 1965 Canadian Valiants were available in the full range of sizes and models offered across the American Valiant and Dart models, but all Canadian-market cars used Dart instrument clusters and were badged "Valiant". For 1966, the Valiant Barracuda was the only offering in Canada on the U.S. Valiant's 106 in (269.2 cm) wheelbase, with no Valiant station wagons in Canada for 1966.[citation needed]

"Plodge" vehicles include:

The "...used to refer to vehicles Stellantis Canada built..." of course, is pure, revisionist bullshit. CHRYSLER Canada. Yet one more of about 18M reasons I do not use Wiki as a reference in any respect.

Like when I used to watch that NA$CAR nonsense back a few years ago, if the blabbering, blithering idiot commentators were talking about a race in, say, 1994 when it was Winston Cup, they'd refer to it as "insert current sponsor here" Cup when they were 20 years or more from it being "their" race!

I miss 1994 NASCAR.

Last edited:
The "...used to refer to vehicles Stellantis Canada built..." of course, is pure, revisionist bullshit. CHRYSLER Canada. Yet one more of about 18M reasons I do not use Wiki as a reference in any respect.

Like when I used to watch that NA$CAR nonsense back a few years ago, if the blabbering, blithering idiot commentators were talking about a race in, say, 1994 when it was Winston Cup, they'd refer to it as "insert current sponsor here" Cup when they were 20 years or more from it being "their" race!

I miss 1994 NASCAR.
Wikipedia is a free resource that is maintained by users. Someone just got carried away using global search and replace Chrysler->Stellantis. If it bothers you that much, you are able to leave a comment about the problem, which will improve the entry for future readers.

Wikipedia is a free resource that is maintained by users. Someone just got carried away using global search and replace Chrysler->Stellantis. If it bothers you that much, you are able to leave a comment about the problem, which will improve the entry for future readers.

There is so much wrong with Wiki, it would take days to write. "Maintained by users" is also "crap put in by users". Put it this way, colleges and high schools will fail a paper that uses Wiki references. That should tell you all you need to know about wiki.

And yeah, "Stellantis" in this context is simply WRONG.

There is so much wrong with Wiki, it would take days to write. "Maintained by users" is also "crap put in by users". Put it this way, colleges and high schools will fail a paper that uses Wiki references. That should tell you all you need to know about wiki.
Calm down. I fixed the entry for you in the time it took you to write this.

I miss 1994 NASCAR.
Same as referring to the “Boeing F-4 Phantom”…

Back