Meet Ming, my 1973 New Yorker Brougham

Fuselage Years

1. Fratzog

Fratzog Old Man with a Hat

Missed this thread first time around. Nice score and silver is a great colour. I'm a tit man like you. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  2. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

You will... then you'll see how the designers really wanted them to look.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

I want a '73, just so I can keep the tits on. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  4. King Hooter

King Hooter Active Member

Me too, along with one of my HOOTERS plates on the front.

5. ayilar

ayilar Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I respectfully disagree. Your statement would be correct (i) if we were talking about Ming's rear bumper or (ii) if Ming were a 1973 Imperial -- as the latter's low production volume allowed the 1973 MY to be exempted from a full bumper redesign. For the rear NYer bumpers and for the rear and front Imperial bumpers, the rubber appendages that you so detest were indeed just added in 1973.

Ming, however, is a Chrysler -- and we are talking about her front bumpers here. The designers redesigned the entire front clip of the Chryslers as a package. AFAIK, the front bumpers were re-engineered as a whole to meet the 5mph collision standards. As such, the new bumper shape ("new recessed grille above a separate single-bar bumper rather than the previous loop design"), a new shock absorption mechanism (NYT 1971 article here), and a setback between bumper and fenders were designed to aborb 5mph impacts in conjunction with the "tits". Removing the latter might appeal to your eyes but would be inconsistent with the genesis of the design.

You'll see Ming and her mighty front in a week, at the start of the 2020 CATL. I'll be driving Medina again this year, as Ming needs some engine work before hitting the road, but she sure is "purdy" and I'll make sure you get a good look!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. 78Brougham

:rofl::bs_flag: Think about it... They're not going to spend tons of time and money redesigning the whole front bumper on a car that is in its last year of production with the new formal body coming out the following year. They slapped those hideous appendages on as a last minute bandage to meet the those retarded crash standards. Those cars were designed at minimum, 2 years prior and they didn't want to drop one more dime on them knowing full well they will be replaced with proper crash bumpers in the following year. What designer in their right mind would want that crap on a beautiful grill and rear bumper like these cars have.
    They got caught with their pants down, plain and simple.
    You can believe whatever you want and listen to some other lame fairy tale about it but it was nothing more than a quick fix to get by till the formals came out.

To me they look like shit. You like them you wear them. If it were my car they'd be shit canned long ago. And that goes for the entire 1973 Mopar lineup.

7. ayilar

ayilar Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Indeed. The NYT article is dated 1971, and the point you make is exactly why I included that period reference.

Well, they clearly did drop a dime. The bumpers were completely redesigned on both the NYer and Newport. In contrast, the bumpers of the Monaco and the Imps were not redesigned for 1973. Money was spent on some cars.

The 1972 Chryslers' beautiful loop front bumpers were gone by 1973. The rubber stops would have been awful on the lithe '72 loops; on that, I agree. IMHO, though, they work on the '73: ours is a free country, so we can agree to disagree :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ceebuddy

ceebuddy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Boydsdodge

Boydsdodge New Member

How is Ming doing? Any new photos?

10. tallhair

tallhair Rufus "Mod Hair" Firefly Staff Member

Just saw the thread but great buy and nice silver Ming beauty @ayilar

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. 78Brougham

Just filler, they gotta put something in there. Those tits are ugly and ma Mopar took the easy way out, good looks be damned!
    They new the fuselage era was winding down, they were going with the formals, so they pooled all there resources into those and put a bandaid (ugly tits) till they had their new design of the bumpers ready for production across the entire corporate line up.
    Case closed.

12. ceebuddy

ceebuddy Well-Known Member

I agree, most likely there was no money spent if there was an easy way out. Still, the new bumper stadrards were no overnight surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1