Mini starter issues

Mikec2

Reaction score
Put mini starter from 91 dakota in my 62 chrysler 300. Not meshing right with converter. Ring gear. Anyone have this issue. ?

Put mini starter from 91 dakota in my 62 chrysler 300. Not meshing right with converter. Ring gear. Anyone have this issue. ?

Some of the mini starters have a rib on the starter housing that will cause problems with alignment on a big block mopar. These starters were designed for small block engines. Take a sheet of paper and place it on the back side of the starter against the block. Tighten the starter down to where it is snug on the bolt heads. Now try to pull the paper out, if the rib is causing problems, the paper will be stuck between the block and the starter. You then have two choices, you can grind off the rib on the mini starter (you will lose the core charge if it goes bad) or go back to the correct factory starter.

Dave

I will check starter for the rib. But seems would need to move starter gear away from ring gear for better mesh.

I will check starter for the rib. But seems would need to move starter gear away from ring gear for better mesh.
Had the same issue and there are comments on this issue definitely on this site and some of the others, but you may have to Google. Long story short, I found that the dust cover that goes between the mini starter and the bell housing also acted as an alignment plate of sorts. I left it off the first time I installed a mini and sheared the teeth off my torque converter ring gear - not fun, had to weld on another ring gear. Bought a new mini, used the dust cover this time and the issue was fixed. IF you're using the dust cover and still having that issue - hit up the ol googlizer and search the FCBO, FBBO, FABO sites, there are plenty of write ups on this.

Thanks for the tip on dust cover. I am not using cover but will buy one. 440 source i see has it. Should have gottin there but needed it faster. Lol. Another lesson. Going to pull starter out tommorow . And recheck everything.

upload_2021-11-7_9-23-41.jpeg

My big block torque converter dust cover. I thought alignment came with that circular indent in the center of the starter mounting area. I am also running a mini-starter. 1969 440 block and trans.

View attachment 495875
My big block torque converter dust cover. I thought alignment came with that circular indent in the center of the starter mounting area. I am also running a mini-starter. 1969 440 block and trans.
That's not the dust cover I'm referring to. The one I'm talking about often gets referred to as a starter shim but it's not. See below:

upload_2021-11-7_9-46-3.png

That's not the dust cover I'm referring to. The one I'm talking about often gets referred to as a starter shim but it's not. See below:

View attachment 495878
Hi Mike. Thanks for the clarification. I have worked on big blocks going back to 1966. I’ve never used a starter shim/dust cover. And I’ve never had a problem. However, since this is a 1962 push-button trans car, perhaps something is different?

Hi Mike. Thanks for the clarification. I have worked on big blocks going back to 1966. I’ve never used a starter shim/dust cover. And I’ve never had a problem. However, since this is a 1962 push-button trans car, perhaps something is different?
That certainly could be, good point. Definitely an odd problem and like I said, Ive known other guys who ran their starters without them with no issues, but all I can speak to is my situation and what worked for me. I will say this, I ran a mini with AND without a starter dust cover on my 383 with no issues. The issue of shearing the ring gear teeth on my torque converter only happened once I dropped in a 440.

Additionally, I never had this issue with the OEM starter, only with the mini's.

Here’s an update, i ground starter like others have shown on backside where fits into trans and block . Easy 2 minutes to grind . Put back in and test by jumping out at relay. Spun good no grind. Also found ground wire from harness no good corrected with new wire from solenoid to body ground. All good now. Thanks everyone

Back