modern trannys

If wanting to go the GM-trans route, there are more options to consider.
700R4, 4L60E-series (electronic version of the 700R4) and 4L80-series. Oh, and 6-speeds also, but those are huge $$.
The electronic control boxes for the GM electronics are <$1000. I saw a manual VB kit for the 4L60 series, too. Perhaps there is one for the 4L80?

The later 4L60 series has a bolt-on bellhousing, and there are aftermarket conversion bells available, both steel and aluminum, for SB and BB. I've heard reports that the steel ones (Quick Time) sometimes have fluid leak issues. The 4L60 is a smaller trans, but in the higher-torque versions (4L65 and 4L70) it's pretty stout for its size (and can be beefed, of course). It has a 3.0x first gear ratio, so better suited to lower-torque vehicles that need the help, where you tolerate the large ratio step to 2nd gear.

The 4L80-E has the modern-day durability reputation of the 727. But it's significantly larger in girth, so more difficult to install. A 4L6x trans will probably fit with no tunnel mods.

The players, in no particular order:
Gear Vendors (has a less-beneficial OD ratio than all the others)
NAG1 (mercedes-based)
A545RFE (5-speed pickup trans)
8HP70 (although the gear ratio spread is so wide that axle ratio/tire height is important, and in some installations all 8 gears might not be practical to use)
A500RH
A518RH
4L60E-4L65E-4L70E
700R4
4L80E
6Lxx-E

The biggest question to the original question - is this for a SB or BB engine?
That *really* drives what transmission makes more sense.

Last edited:
The 8HP70 can be made to work with the RB. You need a standalone controller fron Sound German Engineering (another one-man operation), a flexplate from JVC (call them, its not on their web-site), and the tranny + tranny specific gear lever. In the US those transmissions are cheap if they come from a Charger, or a Challenger. In Sweden, a guy dropped a Jaguar 8HP70 into his ’66 Coronet. It looked funny with the Jag gear lever poking from the side of the steering column, but the transmission worked just fine. There is his video on Youtube somewhere.

I found the site & thread which covers the needed mods pretty well. It’s a 1965 Dodge Coronet with a 512cid stroker, and a Jaguar sourced ZF8HP.

My 8HP70 swap.

This was done a few years ago. If I were doing the same swap now, I’d look hard into BMW trannys, as the Finnish Cantcu is superior standalone controller, but only works with BMW trannys.

700R4 is okay trans throttle valve cable can be a PITA, and much like a Mopar trans has to be operational or it will cook off the 3-4 clutch pack in very short order.
4L60E is electronic controlled 700R4 trans and some have removable bell housing. They are small in size and the low first gives a good pull out of the hole, very swappable.
4L65/4L70 is higher torque version of 4L60. Engineers in the '70s never thought 300-500 horse power would ever come back when designing the 700R4/4L60.
4L80E is turbo 400 with overdrive and shares the girth also.
A500/A518, RH44/RH46, RE44/RE46 are all 904 and 727 based overdrive trans and can be made decent. Worst problem is you are stuck with that tall 2.45 first in the big trans and to get the 2.77 first gear you have to use the 904 based 500/44, or have one modified.
All these 5-10 speed transmissions are all like a Lenco trans ( look it up) big long barrel shaped trans that just adds planetary gearsets and their associated clutch packs to add ratios. So large that fitment (cutting) is a issue into a old car.

@330dTA
Coincidentally, I had just read that that Swedish guy's thread a few days ago.
I considered mentioning it, but I didn't feel like typing any further until we knew whether the OP was interested in SB or BB.

IF U R SO INTENT ON MATING A MODERN Mopar 4 SPEED OVERDRIVE TRANY . USE A ADAPTER TO MATCH UP THE SB BB & THEN modify he trany tunnel to fit the od unit or cut the "bell housing (where the torque converter gose on both the sb & the bb then have someone "tig" weld the bb "bell housing to the sb tramy & U will still have to enlarge the tunnel to permit the 4 speed od to fit or put in a late model lock up converter have it rebuilt get the best lock up torque convertor u can find & USE IT . the lock up convertor will increase yur mpg with out hsve to modify the tunnel if u go with a gm one & u have a high horse motor u may be changing th 70R4 a lot as the guys frpm A&A TRANSMISSION THEY TOLD ME NOT TO DO IT AS THE 700r$ WILL NOT HOLD UP TOO THE POWR OF A MODIFED 440 @ THE TORQUE WOULD TEAR UP THE GM ONE & THEY SHOULD KNOW AFTER ALL THATS THEIR BUSINESS & AFTER ALL THE CHAGES TO RHE BODY IU HAVE TO HAVE A COSTUME DRIVE SHAFT made up all that runs into $$$$$ lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ would it be cheaper to go out & buy a hell cat rental car orr buy onr with a blown trany & have it rebuilt or 3-4k?

IF U R SO INTENT ON MATING A MODERN Mopar 4 SPEED OVERDRIVE TRANY . USE A ADAPTER TO MATCH UP THE SB BB & THEN modify he trany tunnel to fit the od unit or cut the "bell housing (where the torque converter gose on both the sb & the bb then have someone "tig" weld the bb "bell housing to the sb tramy & U will still have to enlarge the tunnel to permit the 4 speed od to fit or put in a late model lock up converter have it rebuilt get the best lock up torque convertor u can find & USE IT . the lock up convertor will increase yur mpg with out hsve to modify the tunnel if u go with a gm one & u have a high horse motor u may be changing th 70R4 a lot as the guys frpm A&A TRANSMISSION THEY TOLD ME NOT TO DO IT AS THE 700r$ WILL NOT HOLD UP TOO THE POWR OF A MODIFED 440 @ THE TORQUE WOULD TEAR UP THE GM ONE & THEY SHOULD KNOW AFTER ALL THATS THEIR BUSINESS & AFTER ALL THE CHAGES TO RHE BODY IU HAVE TO HAVE A COSTUME DRIVE SHAFT made up all that runs into $$$$$ lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ would it be cheaper to go out & buy a hell cat rental car orr buy onr with a blown trany & have it rebuilt or 3-4k?
it is just a thought

I don't know anything about the 46rh durability, except the one in this V/8 93 Dakota that I bought new in 93 with a 4.33 rear. It has 300k ----HARD--- miles on it.
The only trans maintenance has been to suck out and replace 6 quarts of synthetic ATF Plus 4 fluid every 10k, keep the factory trans cooler fins cleaned off. Trans pan has never been dropped.
What you see is typical of the way I have used it. 3600 rpm at 55 mph, o/d off, 235/75/15 tire.
Synthetic engine 10w30 every 2K. Rear synthetic 75w90 every 20k.
Love to have it in my 64 or 72 New Yorkers with a 3.91 gear.

Just saying.

P9300012.JPG

Back