Mopar-related images

1960 Plymouth Fury Dealer Standee Sign on Ebay, not mine

1960 Plymouth Fury Dealer Standee Sign | eBay

io;o.jpg

sorry all, it was pointed out to me that the overturned car photo is actually a Mercury. At first look I thought it was a Chrysler fuselage. Shame on me !!

Chrysler at the Century of Progress

The 1933-1934 World’s Fair, located on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, IL, was named the Century of Progress Exposition in honor of the City’s Centennial. Held during the depths of the Great Depression, the Big Three constructed impressive structures and exhibits to entertain and educate the car-buying public and to try to hold onto their market share.

The largest exhibitor was the Chrysler Corporation, with over seven acres of land including their main building, sunken gardens, the Cyclorama, display areas, and a race track. The building, one of the great showpieces of the Fair, was white with suggestions of yellow and lavender pylons, illuminated at night with floodlights at more than one million candlepower. It was called the “World’s Largest Showcase.”

In the building were scores of exhibits ranging from the scientific to the spectacular, including a huge drop forge where workmen made parts for new cars. There was a steel furnace, a frozen battery show, the making of Duplate safety glass, an automatic loom, a “Belgian Roll” road testing device, and an operating wind tunnel.

In addition to the Chrysler Temple of Champion’s Art Deco structure, exhibits, gardens and pool, the automaker built a quarter mile oval track with banked corners. On the inside of the backstretch, a double-sided ramp was constructed to add to the thrilling high-speed driving demos by the Barney Oldfield Hell Drivers. The infield of the track contained what was called Death Valley, a very uneven and rough dirt surface used for tortuous demonstrations of Plymouths.

53359528_994691117401744_4847544452429905920_n.jpg

Back